Thread: How to fix leaky plywood construction?

Default How to fix leaky plywood construction?

So I found some leaks in my new to me 1950's plywood boat. Nothing drastic, but after a few hours, it is more than I'd like to see, so I'm going to roll my sleeves up and see if I can make it water tight

This boat is painted pretty heavily on the inside and out. I don't think its glassed but who knows what lies beneath. The leak is at the transom area.

I was thinking of removing the paint via heat gun and see what condition the wood and joints are in beneath the paint.

If the wood seems solid, would it be acceptable practice to inject CPES into the joints and repaint? This is a day boat, dry stored

Thanks in advance

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: How to fix leaky plywood construction?

Spin the paint off the suspect area .
    Take photos n post em.
    Injecting CPES is good for ply, but will probably not stop any leak. I see thickened regular epoxy in your future.
    Best to get her dry and keep her dry.

wizbang 13 is right. If the area is basically ok, CPES will be good for the wood and you should, but it's nowhere for the leaks. Given the leaks and the nature of plywood, I'd expect some rot. It sounds daunting but replacing a transom is not actually the biggest deal and would be actually easier than trying to scarf in lots of bits with strange shapes. A lot depends upon how much rot may have traveled forward on the hull.

If it's not a soggy black and soft, you might get away with a good drying, CPES, and then glass tape the transom to hull join.

Wonderful, thanks for the info. I hope I don't have to replace the transom, but I think it's a project I'm comfortable with should it need it. It is a little lighter built than I like (I posted a thread about it recently)

I will keep you posted

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Planing boats from the fifties had to be light. A 40 hp was the biggest motor available in 1956.
    The quality of plywood was generally better than what we have today though.
    I hope that trailer is not hurting her.The rollers make hard points , and the winch pulling DOWN on the bow can make them even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post

Planing boats from the fifties had to be light. A 40 hp was the biggest motor available in 1956.
    The quality of plywood was generally better than what we have today though.
    I hope that trailer is not hurting her.The rollers make hard points , and the winch pulling DOWN on the bow can make them even worse.
    Thanks WB, you found it... I am changing it to bunks this winter, or before I put the motor on it. I had heard the ply was better back then, here's hoping its still pretty decent under the paint - will keep you posted as to what I find

I started stripping paint off of the transom and rear corner. This boat was stripped and repainted once before. So far, the wood looks ok. The worst I've found underneath is that it appears that someone used a wire wheel on a grinder and dug into the wood in a few spots. What is a good product to level this out again so I can get a nice, smooth and glossy finish on it again?

Also, what's a good photo hosting site to use now? Photobucket can pound salt...I'm done with them

Photos can be posted straight to the forum now and I would use microlight fairing filler and west system epoxy for the dings.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

You will need to get rid of the moisture before putting in the CPES. This can be done by injecting alcohol into the wet wood and aiming a heat lamp at it till it is dry. Then inject the resin sealer.
    Jay

Thanks guys