Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ronald Reagan

Default Re: Ronald Reagan

Bump.

Rattling the teacups.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

One of the best....

"People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    One of the best....

wow, same tune, different dance

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    I worry about the people whose lives have been reduced to spewing the same boring, hateful political bile into internet forums, day after day, for years really, without any subject matter variation at all.

Think of the hours of one's life that is spent on it, in lieu of something productive or beneficial. Thousands of hours.

Sad.
    Starting to sound like Trump. Especially the last word. Next time, be up front and just say
    Bigly sad.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Just remember, there is a large core of Reaganites that want to enshrine him on Mt. Rushmore.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Starting to sound like Trump. Especially the last word. Next time, be up front and just say
    Bigly sad.
    That's because голубое небо gets his script from bratva, just like Donny Two Scoops.
    Rattling the teacups.

He was an actor. He was acting.

It was a role.

He did it very well -- he understood totally the theater implicit in politics.

"Honey, I forgot to duck."

I voted for Ronald Reagan in the 1980 election. I was a 26 year-old Republican. Then the scales fell from my eyes. Reagan and his supporters turned me into a Democrat.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Disgusting SOB... I remember when he was governor, and how bad he was. I couldn't believe he would get anywhere running for president, so it was no surprise when Trump won. Americans are gullible, propaganda works a treat.

"Governor Reagan does not dye his hair,” said Gerald Ford at a Gridiron Dinner in 1974. “He is just turning prematurely orange.” Though Reagan’s 1980 campaign slogan (“Let’s Make America Great Again”) is one word longer than Trump’s, that word reflects a contrast in their personalities — the avuncular versus the autocratic — but not in message. Reagan’s apocalyptic theme, “The Empire is in decline,” is interchangeable with Trump’s, even if the Gipper delivered it with a smile".
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/ronald-reagan-was-once-donald-trump.html
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 05-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.

He announced his 1980 run in Philadelphia Mississippi miles from where Goodman, Schwerner and chaney we’re murdered and referred to STATES RIGHTS in the speech. The killers were still on the loose and everyone in town knew who they were. And you thought Trump started this stuff? Old Dutch was just another reep racist.

Nixon was a peach...

Recorded conversations of Nixon's time in the Oval Office reveal extremely bigoted views of black people, among other groups. In one conversation, Nixon said, "We're going to [put] more of these little Negro bastards on the welfare rolls at $2,400 a family—let people like [New York Sen.] Pat Moynihan ... believe in all that crap. But I don’t believe in it. Work, work—throw 'em off the rolls. That's the key."
    Nixon added, "I have the greatest affection for [blacks], but I know they're not going to make it for 500 years. They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like."
    On Jewish people, Nixon said, "The Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality."
    Nixon's bigotry was manifested in his policies. In a 1994 interview, John Ehrlichman, who served as Nixon's chief domestic advisor, said the administration launched the war on drugs to go after the "antiwar left and black people."
    newsweek

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    That's because голубое небо gets his script from bratva, just like Donny Two Scoops.
    Who's голубое небо ?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    He announced his 1980 run in Philadelphia Mississippi miles from where Goodman, Schwerner and chaney we’re murdered and referred to STATES RIGHTS in the speech. The killers were still on the loose and everyone in town knew who they were. And you thought Trump started this stuff? Old Dutch was just another reep racist.
    And the contras were up there with America's Founding Fathers !
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Back to Reagan;

"Reagan’s rightwing speechifying didn’t save Goldwater, but it did earn Reagan a glowing reputation among Republican groups in California, which led to his being recruited to run for governor of California in 1966. During that campaign, he wed his fringe politics to early dog whistle themes, for instance excoriating welfare, calling for law and order, and opposing government efforts to promote neighborhood integration. He also signaled blatant hostility toward civil rights, supporting a state ballot initiative to allow racial discrimination in the housing market, proclaiming: “If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.”"

"More directly placing the white voter in the story, Reagan frequently elicited supportive outrage by criticizing the food stamp program as helping “some young fellow ahead of you to buy a T-bone steak” while “you were waiting in line to buy hamburger.” This was the toned-down version. When he first field-tested the message in the South, that “young fellow” was more particularly described as a “strapping young buck.” The epithet “buck” has long been used to conjure the threatening image of a physically powerful black man often one who defies white authority and who lusts for white women. When Reagan used the term “strapping young buck,” his whistle shifted dangerously toward the fully audible range. “Some young fellow” was less overtly racist and so carried less risk of censure, and worked just as well to provoke a sense of white victimization."

https://www.salon.com/2014/01/11/the_racism_at_the_heart_of_the_reagan_presidency/

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Who's голубое небо ?
    Google Translate is your friend

Rattling the teacups.

Contras, let me see. Congress, in the name of we the people, cut off funding to the contras. Ron and his gang wouldn’t have it. Stole weapons from military bases, funneled them, laundered them, sold them to Iran and sent the money to the Contras. Osbourne, those Contras? To me, Reagan was carters biggest sin. If Jimmy had killed the “students” at the embassy he’d have been re-elected and Ron and Nancy would have retired to the ranch.
    Last edited by Boater14; 05-16-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell
    Who's голубое небо ?
    One of our comrades. Google it.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

To me, Reagan was carters biggest sin. If Jimmy had killed the “students” at the embassy he’d have been re-elected and Ron and Nancy would have retired to the ranch.
    Surely you jest.

No jest here. I’m a dem and I thought carter was too much of a coward to be president. Presidents got to be willing to kill people. If not you don’t take the job.

Carter's commitment to human rights is what led to the Shah's downfall and the Iranian Revolution. Pahlavi was a murdering tyrant like every other tin pot dictator. Do some reading on "Savak". Carter wouldn't put up with it. His mistake was that his advisers couldn't imagine the carnage of what would follow.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Presidents got to be willing to kill people. If not you don’t take the job.
    For sure but it in no way follows that killing these particular people would have prevented Reagan being elected, or would have been a good idea for any other reason.

John, I’m guessing your close to my age, 70. Vietnam vet. I know you know the Iranians deposed the shah and our cia put him back on the throne. He was our a**hole buddy. The Islamic Revolution set that right....fine. But with the soviet Union still in business letting the Iranians desecrate our sovereign soil, the embassy, was not only cowardly, it was foolish. The ussr probably could have driven their tanks to Paris without carter responding. I’ll take a nut over a coward any day. On the domestic side, how did it enhance carters chance for re-election with Ted Kopple running AMERICA HELD HOSTAGE for over a year. I know the Marine guards had a half dozen M-60’s. We both know what they would mean to that mob. There was global politics being played out at the embassy and we blinked.