Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: America's cup / Louis Vuitton

Default Re: America's cup / Louis Vuitton

I looked up some old figures for AC campaigns and adjusted them for inflation. The current campaigns are about 10 times as expensive, inflation adjusted, as a 12 Metre campaign, and surprisingly the J campaigns were pretty similar to the 12 campaigns. I assume it was because later 12 campaigns were multi-year efforts, and because while the Js were huge the syndicates were quite frugal - Enterprise or Ranger had some 27 year old winches off Reliance, and the number of sails was quite small.

As far as the spectacle goes, in my experience with short course racing it's always going to be tighter than the old courses. We can't compare what 12s did on big ocean courses to what these boats do - or 12s could do - on these ultra short courses. The TV ratings, which is what it's largely about, are pretty poor in the USA. I can't find figures for other countries.
    Last edited by Chris249; 06-24-2017 at 06:07 PM.

I'm not at all convinced that sailing is a sport for television.

Me either but I found the 12m races on tv much more interesting than the current stuff. The coverage now looks more like a video game than a sailing race, to me.

Rick

I don't know why they changed from 72 foot cat's to 50 foot ones, Maybe the danger involved.
    It was to cut the cost of the campaign. Not just smaller boats, but smaller crews, too.
    -Dave

I wish the graphics people would keep the VMG numbers for each boat onscreen all the time and have Outteridge comment about the changing mode choices and how each plays into VMG.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I wish the graphics people would keep the VMG numbers for each boat onscreen all the time and have Outteridge comment about the changing mode choices and how each plays into VMG.
    Agreed. And they don't report the wind shifts until long after they've had their effect. There's a graphic for that, too, but it's rarely displayed.
    -Dave

I'm glad the racing was closer. I still could hardly believe Oracle's mistakes in the first race.
    I am a bit disappointed in the commentary. It does seem to nearly take a lead change before they comment on wind shifts or other changes.
    ENZ still has quite a fast boat, sailed better in general, tacks and gybes very sharply, seems to sail better angles. But I hope for more close racing.

I really hope they stop using the "pixie dust" graphic of wing wash.

The graphics are helpful, sometimes, but you have to keep reminding yourself that the sailors and referees cannot see them on the water and they are looking at the course from sea level and the back of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I still could hardly believe Oracle's mistakes in the first race.
    I'm not sure how often you've done a reaching start at 20+ knots, but in my experience it's extremely difficult. These guys "making mistakes" are still better than almost everyone who thinks they are sailing perfectly.

I think Kenny Read on the BT Sport stream gives a better commentary than the NBC commentators. Still sorely lacking in the windshift talks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I'm not sure how often you've done a reaching start at 20+ knots, but in my experience it's extremely difficult. These guys "making mistakes" are still better than almost everyone who thinks they are sailing perfectly.

In my fantasies I was unbeatable as a competitive sailor, the realities are quite a lot different.

Looking at the bio's of some of these guys: Opti world champion, 420 world champion, bucket loads of Olympic medals, shows that they can excel in classes we mere mortals fudge about in.