Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: 11' Four Part Nesting Dinghy

Default Re: 11' Four Part Nesting Dinghy

I am so excited for you! When does it arrive? Are you going to sail it right away?

I might send the plans some day to interested people. After all R.B. feels it doesn't have much to do with his design.
    I don't have the time or muse to write detailed instructions or draw sheet plans though. I only work from 3D files and also print things directly from Rhino or derived PDFs if I need templates.

There will be more structural stuff in the new hull, this one is still a little twisty aft.
    Maybe I'll try that leg o mutton some day, found a nice example of a bent boom.
    http://www.gaboats.com/graphics/cent...d_blivit12.jpg
    http://www.gaboats.com/tutorials/nop...ard_nonav.html

I guess shipping may take a month because we found an unconventional approach that incurs no extra cost to me. And I decided against the expense and 6 week wait for a custom color.

Strange you ask about test runs, because yes I am fussy about waiting for ideal conditions for an unknown boat. Because it doesn't have that swing up centerboard you show, I want to try in deep water safe for a daggerboard and it's trunk. Furthermore I want an onshore wind towards an uncrowded beach in case some failure puts me adrift. But such infinite fetch coming thru unobstructed waters often means excessive wave height, so I may wait a couple weeks.

Where are you at home? No small fresh water lakes?

I guess I am done with sailing this season.
    The Oru Kayak is probably arriving on Monday via FedEx.
    I am gonna try to flip it now and I am eager to start my next hull but I can't really decide on the ideal design.

I made a prelim Oru review nearby - not rapturous but maybe growing fondness. Now for test spot question...

Our island has a big enclosed bay with drastic military boating restrictions that I luckily read online before visiting. Other stagnant saline places like canals have flesh eating bacteria (vibrio vulnificus) although paddling schools use it with students "with no open cuts" as well as me in my dry Hobie inflatable yak. The small pockets of fresh water are liable to have a wild pig parasite that borrows into your eye (spiro-something). A sailing school buzzes around a dense marina and sometimes ventures out with a mother powerboat in screaming offshore winds, but that seems crazy to me.

So I have made an extensive survey of open ocean spots and track actual wave buoys, wind sensors, tide, pollution monitors, doppler radar, traffic monitors, weather balloon (good for predicting sea breezes), etc to show when they are friendly to small craft. I made sort of an online decision tree web page. My 2 most frequent spots are nearly unused by sailboats, and the few spectators sometimes drop their jaws to see a portable one being set up.

UPDATE: I confused an african eye parasite with a kidney dwelling bacteria, but anyway a nod to ocean water:

How can you prevent leptospirosis?

• Do not swim or wade in any freshwater streams or ponds in Hawaii, especially when you have open cuts or sores. Swimming with your head underwater also increases your risk of infection through the eyes, nose, and mouth.
    Last edited by rudderless; 10-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Oooookay.... just noticed the location in your header. Nasty stuff.
    I Iive in freshwater paradise compared to that. We get spring water from the mountains right out of the tap in Vienna.
    Most lakes are drinking water quality and monitored all year round.

The Oru arrived an hour ago. Unfortunately one part of the carbon paddle broke in transit.
    I'll try if I can get that part replaced or just epoxy in some dowel, should be good again.
    IMG_20171027_142047.jpg

The parted carbon shaft is nice but the plastic blades are rather heavy. Got a skypole/prepreg paddle that is only half the weight.
    Last edited by heavyweather; 10-27-2017 at 11:46 AM.

I just hauled a Reverso 4part sailboat home from the airport in a VW Sportwagen. Super tight fit - I will have to remove the cargo floor for a few more inches. I was too exhausted to check it over, but did notice part of the hull flexed more than I thought a planing hull would. Maybe the mystery of a recent 9% base price rise here is solved, since the "optional" SpeedPuck was included as well as felt equipment bags (I declined the optional fancy gear bags). The only thing about the SpeedPuck that sounds unusual and interesting is a leeway slippage indicator, but I would rather have not paid for it. Oh, by the way it was all air shipped from France at no extra charge!

Quote Originally Posted by heavyweather View Post
    I Iive in freshwater paradise compared to that. We get spring water from the mountains right out of the tap in Vienna.
    Most lakes are drinking water quality and monitored all year round.
    Our underground water is clean to a fault since everything drains thru porous lava then floats just above the seawater level. I say a fault because purist locals are afraid of adding fluoride which results in some of the worst child dental health anywhere. Anyway the rare fresh surface water is infected by 1) feral pig diseases, which are protected by the pig hunter demographic, and 2) weird new things like rat lungwarm or zika birth defect virus because nothing can be eradicated anymore due to scattered organic farm plots.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-18-2017 at 04:07 AM.

I guess further discussion of Reverso should go in a new topic under misc-boat-related. But I will pass on a temporary but substantial US price drop just after I took delivery... my pain is your gain:

Just use the coupon code EOY800 to save $800
    If you are picking up the pallet, you might view their unboxing video to see what you'll deal with. Maybe bring thinner padding to put between the nested hull pieces, because their layers of bubble wrap jacks up the height maybe more than your vehicle can take.

If you have money to burn, you might ask about the Reverso Custom vs Air vs noname versions before clicking an online order.

It's so cool that you can ship a boat on a pallet and put it in your car

Oru was great btw....they just sent a replacement paddle from Rotterdam.

If there only was a way to split the boat in the middle too....I am kinda beam restraint when I don't want to take out seats.