Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Design Software?

Default Re: Boat Design Software?

Hi Snow Pea, Im new at this forum, Im having trouble with Carlson hull and I wonder if you can help me. I have windows 10 and when I go to nesting I cant see the chine or deck. And if I go to hand plotting it shows creazy numbers.
    Thanks.
    Popper

Hi Snow Pea, Im new at this forum, Im having trouble with Carlson hull and I wonder if you can help me. I have windows 10 and when I go to nesting I cant see the chine or deck. And if I go to hand plotting it shows creazy numbers.
    Thanks.
    Popper.

Hi Popper, first you need to save your hull. Go to file > Save, create.

Then make sure the check box at the top middle right called EXPANSIONS is ticked, as is deck, any other outputs and half frames positions are set if you want them created. Set the export path if you want to save stuff into a certain folder.

Then hit save. It will create all the expansions and you can cancel from the save menu and open Patterns > Nesting. You should be able to bring up each nesting part. The interface is a bit crude, but it works ok.

I generally import the hull into freeships once I have it resonably close, and tweak it from there. If I want to go further I can import it into Rhino.

But hulls is such a quick and fun way to play and optimise basic hull shapes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ps Popper, I spent a bit of time sailing out of Ushuia and south, loved Argentina and the people. Good luck getting it working.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Snow pea. I'm glad you enjoyed Argentina.
    I still have the problem. I tried with the designs that come in Carlson hull, importing them to freeship, and if I save/create it says numerical error.
    I tried unloading it again and it does not work either. I'm going to test on a computer with another version of windows older.
    Thank you.
    Popper.

My experience is to be careful with the options on saving on W10 Home. In my experience , if text is chosen, the program locks up and doesn't correctly save the file. I typically click Expansions and leave the other options unchecked.

Try only clicking the Expansions and see if that is more successful for you.

Good luck.

For more than 30 years I designed hulls with professional codes: Fastship, Maxsurf, Solidworks, Catia, Rhino and others.
    To day no longer, I have other responsibilities and the Yacht Design is for me just a hobby.

In general I think that there are no systems that can do everything and well (yet).

It is well known that the classical CAD systems are multipourpose, OK for industrial design but KO for designing boats. Often are not easy and cost too much for the amateur Designer.

It is well known also that for this market are available free and low-cost systems that always show limits, as soon as the designer is a bit advanced. With some exceptions, though.
    Years ago my company tried Delftship, which is great as start-up system. At the time Delftship had problems of File Import/Export,but now it seems much improved.

Another low cost product, is “Lofter” http://lgxengineering.com/.
    Lofter is little known, but I mention it because it has unique characteristics.
    It is very different from other CAD systems because it produces accurately streamlined hull surfaces, which need no fairing work. These surfaces can be quickly modified and hydrostatic calculations are automatic.
    For me it was a surprise, because it's simple and fully integrated with Microsoft Excel.

I'm using this code for the basic hull design and then proceed with other mechanicalCAD systems (Solidworks and Rhino) for the industrialization of the product and rendering.
    I enclose a drawing of my old wooden boat, made in this manner.

BlueMoon.gif

I hope this answer will help you.

At last I would like to have suggestions for other new Boat Design codes at Low cost, but at a professional-grade.
    Thanks for your help

Lucio
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YachtDesignEngineer; 12-06-2018 at 02:30 PM.