Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random photos of mine

Default Re: Random photos of mine

What lens for the cat Ian ? It's a great photo.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What lens for the cat Ian ? It's a great photo.
    Not certain, Peter, but probably my 18-200 Nikkor. Shot at a focal length of 95mm - f5.6 and 1/125th second at ISO-400. I guess it could have been the 80-400.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd love a long lens but what I'd like would be prohibitively expensive.
    Grateful Dead

Loving grandpa... taken in 2012, in far northern Laos, close to the China border

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Hope this works from the phone.

Three Sisters and the Megalong Valley

One from a 2014 ride into Laos. A big (250mm + ) gecko at the guesthouse I used to stay at in Hongsa - which is now relocated to Luang Prabang

A few from Lake Maninjau. On the weekend, I attended the Australian premiere of a movie shot just up the hill from here, at Bukittinggi.

Smokin' the fish

Sticking with the West Sumatran theme (the largest Indonesian community in Sydney is West Sumatran, btw... I attended a Surau fundraiser on Saturday with 250 in attendance. I suspect that I was the only non-muslim in attendance).

Crappy photo, but I love the cheeky attitude

Oh, OK, so I posted it 5 years ago.... but hey... this one is for Joe. 100' wooden boat... old Vespa... and me

This is a five or six shot panorama of the mooring area near Brooklyn, on the Hawkesbury River, taken on Sunday

Despite having resided just across the road (behind those trees on the left) from this part of the old city wall for months at a time, I rarely photographed it. Chiang Mai, Thailand

Some bush engineering in Sumatra.... an electrical generator, tapped into a waterfall

and, not far from there, a truckload of folks about to head back into the mountains to their home village

I hope they picked up their garbage.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

They never pick up their garbage. It's a cultural hangover from thousands of years of biodegradable packaging. Wrap food in a banana leaf... unwrap, and throw the wrapping on the ground to rot. Next step up is woven bamboo... same deal... throw it away to rot. Unfortunately, the same behaviour is applied to the plastic wrappings

Meanwhile.... some gold miners in Sumatra

A dodgy photo again.... but of some interest.

This is the rear view from the ferry I caught from Bandirma to Istanbul, across the Sea of Marmara

A couple from Dubai Creek

Technically, not a good photo.... but it shows the hammering that the abras take

Walking the old Great North Road with the pocket rockets. They felt good that their shadows made them look larger.... or that mine made me look like the Michelin Man.... or someone with zika

Fantastic images as always Ian. I admire your bravery at taking picture of the local people. That can be a hard thing to do for me. That doesn't even count the excellent composure of the images.

Love your tag line about travel. It rings so true.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Fantastic images as always Ian. I admire your bravery at taking picture of the local people. That can be a hard thing to do for me. That doesn't even count the excellent composure of the images.

Love your tag line about travel. It rings so true.
    Hah, that's a bit funny actually, but thanks Brian. One of the resident drunks called me a bigot tonight. I suspect he wouldn't know the definition of the word if it bit him on the bum.

However.... back to photos, and speaking of bums

And... the non-bum end. This is the Brabham BT11A from 1964 that was the first car to lap Mount Panorama circuit at Bathurst at 100 mph.

Good grief.... Now I understand the sobriquet! If my eyes work, that the pic on the Vespa (scooter), combined with the static picture of the ship's freeoard, multiplied by the quantum result of collision of six quarks, and then divided by 4.762, all that that make your apparent height to be 1.6 Qualoons (6.6 English Feet) (a couple of metric measures) or, in the vernacular, a BIG Mo-Fo.

Schoof. It just never registered before.

Thanks, Ian. Those are wonderful, and I speak as one who has been a student of the art and science of photography since I was eight years old. Also, as a motorsports fan since the early 1960s, I appreciate those shots. Finally, congratulations on your son's rise to a rather high level in that arena. All the best!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. My size eh? Well, I'm an inch shy of being two feet taller than the princess.... who doesn't even reach the height of the mascot on an old Roller. I 'chalk and crayon'd' this one because her face wasn't focused right.... and she liked this effect... even if it does make her look a little crazy

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Beautiful travel pictures, some really stunning images.
    I just installed a nature photography exhibition here at the Australian Museum, you should drop by. Your cat image would fit in beautifully.
    I also used to oversee the installation of the projections onto Sydney Opera House - nice to see my work being celebrated.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Thanks. Here's an old shot of mine that I quite like. Taken in the hills out of Sapa, Vietnam. Grabbed this with a 400mm lens. When he spotted me, just after this, he was quite shy. This is straight off the card... no processing / cropping.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That kid could be my 7 year old.
    infact ....,
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

My bike. Saturday afternoon. A long way from home

I thought I'd dropped a chain... I lost all drive. Nope. Current thinking is a snapped shaft in the gearbox.... or something similar. Funny story about this recovery effort. We'd started the ride at 6am, picked up the rest of the group at 7 am... and ridden fairly solidly all day, with a couple of stops for coffee and lunch. It was 4:20 pm when this happened - and a bit cool, as we were inland and in the hills (and it's just early spring here). I sent the rest of the guys and girls on to our overnight stop, which was only 15 km away on a mission to talk a local with a ute (truck) into coming out and getting my bike. They tried the pub we were booked into. A guy in the bar threw them some keys and said "white ute... out the front". He'd never met us before.

Thanks Ian!

These are sights from parts of the world I doubt I'll ever see in person. I hope you keep posting, many of your photos seem ripped from the pages of National Geographic.

I very much enjoy your posts.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Thanks Skip. I've been trying to consolidate and back-up some of my photos lately. It's a bit of a filing mess after a computer crash a few years ago. I had backups... but they were all over the place.

Here's a few bird photos, inspired by Ish's corvid/owls thread. Taken in the walk-through aviary at the fabulous bird park in Kuala Lumpur.

Brahimny Kite. We get these in Oz too. Always loved watching them hunt

Almost certain this is a Rhinoceros Hornbill - I've seen, and photographed, these in the wild... but not as clearly as this

The critically endangered Milky Stork. The total population was about 2,200 in 2008, down from about 5,000 in 1980. Most are in Sumatra, some in Java and about 100 on the Asian mainland.

The Asian Fairy-bluebird

As a matter of interest, I haven't touched the colour / saturation / vibrance on any of these shots.

Another one. This is the female of the Asian Fairy-bluebird.

Excellent images Ian.
    Grateful Dead

Iron rub rail on that Abra I see. But my favourite is the "Boy on a Buffalo"

Thanks for the bird pics! Watching and wondering about the birds that arrive at my feeding station has become a great solace to me these last few months. In a world seemingly some days gone mad, they provide a healthy dose of sanity.

Your well traveled photo album is wonderful.
    So many questions, so little time.

Thanks guys. I'll add a couple more bird shots... one of which got me thinking about how damn difficult birds can be as subjects (don't bring me on to Sumatran Tigers - saw one, didn't get a single snap, or Gibbons - have several crappy shots, but some excellent memories of seeing, and more interestingly, hearing them).

This guy was hunting near dusk, near Lake Kenyir in Eastern Malaysia. The photo is cropped to about one quarter frame

Too grainy and not sharp enough.... but I like the memory. The bee eaters scored too

And that was with a 400mm lens. Too damn hard on the day.

This shot was the precursor to another favourite shot of mine. I'd been walking around Malacca, which is a tourist town on Malaysia's SE coast. Quite some trading history there. I'd stopped for a Guiness... and this old lady hobbled along the other side of the street

Then, she walked past this wall

I like how that one turned out. No setup... just a happy snap

Since we are on yellow, how about an (I think) Oriole

Again, not overly happy with it, but it's the best of what I could get, shooting at a ruffled, moving bird in the bushes

Mr Heron wasn't moving