Thread: Books

Question Books

For discussion by the reader among us.

Do you only buy/get hardbacks?

Do you only buy/get soft covers?

Do you buy hard and soft covered books?

What do you do with a book (hard and or soft cover) once you have read it? put it on your bookcase / on a shelf / give it to a friend / donate it to charity / throw it in the (recycle) bin / other?

Do you only read books one the 'best seller' lists?

Do you prefer reading a 'physical' book rather than on screen e.g. a Kindle. I do.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Books

No, no, yes, all of those, no, yes.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

I have to slightly disagree with isla:

No, no, yes, all of those, rarely, yes.

<grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I don't much care about the cover, nor about 'bestsellers', but I do prefer physical books. I used to keep them all, but the cost of building more bookshelves and reinforcing the floor joists got overwhelming, so now I weed them out and only keep ones I think I might want to read or consult again. A few I sell to used bookstores, and The Little Free Libraries get the rest.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

No, no, yes, bookcase or charity, no, yes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

No, no, yes, all of the above, nope, yes (although I do use my kindle quite a bit for traveling/commuting, but around the house, give me a book!)
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

I buy a lot of used books online so I get a mix, book's I truly enjoy, referance, and boat bulding among a few I keep, other get offered to friends most hit a free bok bin at my town hall.

https://www.thriftbooks.com

no
    no
    yes
    we have a rotating pile of books at the local pub, but if I think I will read it again I will put a note on it asking for it to be returned to me. Which happens.
    once in a while
    yes

I thought about Keith while riding in PA a few weeks ago on the Montour trail, there is a little library on the trail about mile marker 24, very close to some camping spots and a park.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

No
    No
    Yes
    Depends on how much I like it
    No
    Complicated. I read a lot of things in pdf form on my tablet, but not recreational "books" so far.

I scan the book reviews in the weekend broadsheet newspapers and one or two other places. Anything I think interesting, I save to my Amazon Wish List as a convenient place to store the info. I also have a list of previously read books that I've liked, so that I can keep an eye out for new publications by those authors.

If I think that I'll probably only read a book once, I'll try to borrow it from the library.

If the library doesn't have it or can't get it, then I consider buying. I also consider buying when I think that the book is either a 'keeper' or one that I'll probably read several times over the years.

Once I've decided to buy, if it's fiction I'll go for paperback; non-fiction I go for hardback. I'll always try to see if I can find it second hand and only buy new in extremis.

We always seem to have too many books for the available shelf space, so I have a periodic cull. Fiction and 'popular' non-fiction goes to a charity shop; serious non-fiction I try to sell but if it doesn't find a buyer, that goes to one particular charity (Oxfam) which runs a pretty serious bookshop in one of its shops in a town 15 miles or so away.
    Nick

Hard cover when I have to, soft when I can because they are usually cheaper. No kindle. Real paper only. Best seller status has nothing to do with what I read, which is always non fiction.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I use a kindle when I read fiction. Easy to carry in a coat or pants pocket. My standby when dinning by my self. Any book that has an index or pictures, tables or graphs I by a book. Hard cover, soft cover, new or used does not matter.
    Jim McGee

I usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time. If I hear of something new I put a hold at the library.
    I also check Kindle books from our library. They disappear after 21 days.
    If there's an older book, and the library doesn't have it, I go to Abebooks and buy a used copy.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

I wait for the movie to come out.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

What do you do with a book (hard and or soft cover) once you have read it? put it on your bookcase / on a shelf / give it to a friend / donate it to charity / throw it in the (recycle) bin / other?

Do you prefer reading a 'physical' book rather than on screen e.g. a Kindle. I do.
    I buy hard and soft cover books. I prefer hard covers. Never look for something on the bestseller list. Don't have much time to read novels but I do sometimes, not often. I also like books on CDs. It's great to listen to them while I'm working around the house. I have several hundred if not a thousand books. I put them on the bookshelves on the north wall. Makes good insulation against the frigid North wind here in Alaska I prefer a physical book, but I have some on Kindle on my iPhone.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

With sincere apologies to JohnW, a truly nice chap, I have totally converted to Kindle. However She still reads real books and still trades at John's wonderful used bookstore and at Secret Gardens, Ballard's independent bookstore, for new books. I miss those places.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    With sincere apologies to JohnW, a truly nice chap, I have totally converted to Kindle. However She still reads real books and still trades at John's wonderful used bookstore and at Secret Gardens, Ballard's independent bookstore, for new books. I miss those places.

Sound familiar?

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

no, no, yes, all of the above at times, no, yes

I 'read' constantly.... but only with audio books... I always have one 'running' in my car. Always contemporary non-fiction, and nearly always books that have a very short 'shelf life' due to their contemporary content. In the summer, while on the boat, I read e-books via my Kindle.

The most recent one:

"Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

Usually when I buy books I go for the paperback because of price. I prefer what some have called the Trade Paperback. Quite a lot I will hit the big bookstore looking for books and then once I find a good series go to the used book store and round it out and if I have to go back and order what is needed to complete the series.

So with that said I end up with whatever cover is available. Building off of that I don't keep many books, only a few have made it to my permanent collection. I've been known to share with friends but usually I trade them in at the used book store for more books. Not sure I could build enough bookcases for all if I kept them.

I have never purposely read a book that was on the best seller list. I look for books that I like.

I did try the on screen reading thing and it just doesn't cut it for me.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds Love is My Religion