Thread: Culler Beach Pod "Elf"

Default Culler Beach Pod "Elf"

To All, especially "HunkyDory" and senior member Perkins,

I saw a 2013 thread on this forum with the same title as this one, that had photos of an 11' Culler beach boat being repaired by HunkyDory. I am interested in commissioning a build of this design--does anyone know what happened to this boat and more importantly what its handling and sailing qualities turned out to be? Lastly, Mr. Perkins indicated he was considering building the 15' version, which is what I am interested in.

Did you build it? How do you like it?

Many thanks,

Teige

Default Re: Culler Beach Pod "Elf"

Hi Teige,
    The boat rowed wonderfully but is not rigged for sail. The plans can be obtain through Mystic. The 15' version is being build and slightly modified in a shop in Eastham this summer.
    Have Fun , Steve

Many thanks Catboat Steve, I would be grateful for any details of the Eastham construction--particularly the modifications and reasons for them?

All best,

Teige

The first photo here shows ELF under oars: http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/201...us-beach-event
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Hi teige ; I progressed to buying the plans for Java from Mystic and cutting out the midships frame in scrap ply , as if it was a bulkhead from rail to rail . The submerged part of the boat I represented with some grey paint .This I have down in the basement : the crudest type of modeling . It does allow me to envision the volume of the boat and myself in it . I could also verify that the the boat ,if built in my basement ,would fit out the door and into my pickup .

Like you ,I wanted some information on Elf's performance from her current custodians before building . Maybe they'll bring the boat to the WBS? I wonder what she weighs ?
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 05-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Perkins View Post
    Hi teige ; I progressed to buying the plans for Java from Mystic and cutting out the midships frame in scrap ply , as if it was a bulkhead from rail to rail . The submerged part of the boat I represented with some grey paint .This I have down in the basement : the crudest type of modeling . It does allow me to envision the volume of the boat and myself in it . I could also verify that the the boat ,if built in my basement ,would fit out the door and into my pickup .

Like you ,I wanted some information on Elf's performance from her current custodians before building . Maybe they'll bring the boat to the WBS? I wonder what she weighs ?
    Dear Mr. Perkins, Many thanks! I wonder if you have/could post a photo of the model you made? I am interested in the dimensions also.

As to weight, I worry about that a bit but think I would put her in and keep her on an outhaul from around late April to Late September (on Chesapeake Bay's eastern shore) so weight would matter about twice a year.

Have you seen this picture? Is it the beach boat, do you think?

http://boat-links.com/PT/PT2004/V-Bottom-1.jpg

Best regards,

Teige

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    The first photo here shows ELF under oars: http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/201...us-beach-event
    Thanks for this post--she looks lovely--I like the color scheme better than the red and white of the prior version. She seems quite small--how many persons does she comfortably take?

Best

Teige

Teige ; Your photo is the bigger beach boat . I can't lay hands on my plan but you can see the one page I have in "Pete Culler's Boats " or "Pete Culler on Wooden Boats ". Also the first section of the movie "Roots" shows the slavers crew landing through the surf in this model .3 or 4 people were aboard.Length 15ft. 9 in. O A . 15 ft. 1 in. between stem and stern rabates ; 16 ft. stock can be used for planking the topsides. 4 ft. 8 in. beam .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 05-24-2017 at 04:42 PM.