Thread: Robert Reich assesses European sentiment prior to POTUS' foreign trip

Default Robert Reich assesses European sentiment prior to POTUS' foreign trip

And it isn't good:

European governments, preparing for a round of major summits with Donald Trump next week, are wary.
    I spent much of the past week speaking with officials and cabinet ministers in Europe. All they wanted to talk about was Trump. Here, in summary, are the most frequent remarks I heard, in rough order of frequency:
    1. Trump is unstable, and we're not going to count on anything he says or commits to.
    ... 2. Trump doesn't support NATO or European integration.
    3. Trump is actively encouraging racist nationalists in our country.
    4. Trump is allied with Putin to bring Europe down.
    5. There’s no doubt Trump worked with Putin to win the U.S. presidential election.
    6. If Trump's polls drop too low, he’ll start a war in order to get Americans to rally around him. (Opinions varied on whether Trump's war would be with North Korea, Iran, terrorists in Nigeria, or an escalation in Syria, Iraq, or Afghanistan.)
    7. How did you Americans come to elect this ego-maniac? (Others called him an infant, moron, ignoramus, fool.)
    8. He’s another Berlusconi (or Franco, Mussolini, Salazar, Hitler).
    9. We remember fascism. We never thought it would happen in America.
    10. The world depends on American leadership. We’re very worried.
    My overall impression: Anti-Trump sentiment is even stronger in Europe than it is in the U.S. If Trump expects his European trip to give him a reprieve from his troubles at home, he's mistaken.
    What do you think?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Default Re: Robert Reich assesses European sentiment prior to POTUS' foreign trip

Regarding Trump, I've never heard anything but disgust and ridicule from Canadians.

Default Re: Robert Reich assesses European sentiment prior to POTUS' foreign trip

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    And it isn't good:

European governments, preparing for a round of major summits with Donald Trump next week, are wary.
    I spent much of the past week speaking with officials and cabinet ministers in Europe. All they wanted to talk about was Trump. Here, in summary, are the most frequent remarks I heard, in rough order of frequency:
    1. Trump is unstable, and we're not going to count on anything he says or commits to.
    ... 2. Trump doesn't support NATO or European integration.
    3. Trump is actively encouraging racist nationalists in our country.
    4. Trump is allied with Putin to bring Europe down.
    5. There’s no doubt Trump worked with Putin to win the U.S. presidential election.
    6. If Trump's polls drop too low, he’ll start a war in order to get Americans to rally around him. (Opinions varied on whether Trump's war would be with North Korea, Iran, terrorists in Nigeria, or an escalation in Syria, Iraq, or Afghanistan.)
    7. How did you Americans come to elect this ego-maniac? (Others called him an infant, moron, ignoramus, fool.)
    8. He’s another Berlusconi (or Franco, Mussolini, Salazar, Hitler).
    9. We remember fascism. We never thought it would happen in America.
    10. The world depends on American leadership. We’re very worried.
    My overall impression: Anti-Trump sentiment is even stronger in Europe than it is in the U.S. If Trump expects his European trip to give him a reprieve from his troubles at home, he's mistaken.
    What do you think?
    Ten home runs back to back. As to four, five and six, no doubt, no doubt, and Mexico.
    Rattling the teacups.

What has trump said or done that European leaders would have a favorable opinion of him?
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Regarding Trump, I've never heard anything but disgust and ridicule from Canadians.
    A mentor from a previous life retired last year and moved to Kelowna. A man I really admired despite his fervent religiosity (he'd had a hard life and I'm glad he found salvation in God instead of the bottle). Well colour me surprised when he started liking and promoting Trump last year, even defending the pu$$y grabbing for crissakes! - wishing Justin was more like Trump etc. The number of people, Canadians, who like his facebook posts is astounding. They're out there. They're the ones who thought Harper was too Liberal. And there are tens of thousands of them.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    A mentor from a previous life retired last year and moved to Kelowna. A man I really admired despite his fervent religiosity (he'd had a hard life and I'm glad he found salvation in God instead of the bottle). Well colour me surprised when he started liking and promoting Trump last year, even defending the pu$$y grabbing for crissakes! - wishing Justin was more like Trump etc. The number of people, Canadians, who like his facebook posts is astounding. They're out there. They're the ones who thought Harper was too Liberal. And there are tens of thousands of them.
    I've met them too. I find it really disturbing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

There must be some. I haven't met a single one, but then I live in a Green riding.

Tens of thousands. I wonder how close to accurate that estimate is.

Lets say there are 36,000 in a population of 36,000,000. That would be 1:1000.