Thread: It's that time of year

Default It's that time of year

Sitting peacefully, on the computer, watching tv, etc. and along comes a landscaper to mow a lawn. If he is mowing within four houses of our home, the noise is disruptive.

Again the question comes to mind: We can't hear the cars that drive by. Why is lawn mowing equipment so loud?
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: It's that time of year

Big noise = big dongle. It makes the landscapers feel good about themselves.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Big noise = big dongle. It makes the landscapers feel good about themselves.
    I don't accept that. They buy what's available. Near as I can tell there is no lawn mowing equipment that's muffled much.

Maybe there's some technical reason why they can't be muffled better. It does seem, however, if we can silence a 200hp car engine, we ought to be able to lessen the noise of a 10 horsepower lawn tractor.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I don't accept that. They buy what's available. Near as I can tell there is no lawn mowing equipment that's muffled much.

Maybe there's some technical reason why they can't be muffled better. It does seem, however, if we can silence a 200hp car engine, we ought to be able to lessen the noise of a 10 horsepower lawn tractor.

The blades are moving at sub sonic speeds and needs to be exposed to cut the grass. When the blades are disengaged the mower isn't that loud. If you ran cutting blades off your car engine it would be loud too.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Since I have a small lawn I went with a Fiskars push-reel mower a couple of years ago and quite enjoy the silence.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

At least half the engine noise on such a beast emanates from the crank case.

You can muffle the heck outta the exhaust, and it will STILL be loud as.

Plus you have the blade noise, as described by Kevin in #4.

Your 200 HP car engine has a lot of mass to dampen the noise, and it is pretty fully enclosed by sound-insulated panels.
    Rattling the teacups.

The silence of Vermont is golden compared to the dawn to dusk racket of landscapers on Long Island where we used to live. I was the only guy on my block that cut his own grass.
    I just bought a new John Deere lawn tractor and it's a lot quieter then my old Cub Cadet.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I hate the sound of leaf blowers and those motorized brooms. Why do we insist on replacing perfectly good, non-polluting technology (rakes and brooms) with these monstrosities? It's not because they save any time over the non-motorized tools...
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    I hate the sound of leaf blowers and those motorized brooms. Why do we insist on replacing perfectly good, non-polluting technology (rakes and brooms) with these monstrosities? It's not because they save any time over the non-motorized tools...
    So the people who run them have time to go to the gym and pay for their excersize.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    It's not because they save any time over the non-motorized tools...
    There may be very good reasons to dislike and/or argue against leaf blowers; claiming that rakes and brooms are just as fast is not one of them.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The noise is because they are air cooled and made with the minimum of material. Much of the noise is not exhaust, its coming straight through the crankcase and cooling fins.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    There may be very good reasons to dislike and/or argue against leaf blowers; claiming that rakes and brooms are just as fast is not one of them.
    Perhaps if the leaves you're blowing are perfectly dry and there's not much wind, then a leaf blower might be faster. But with wet leaves ? Pine needles? Not in my experience and observation. As for those rotary brooms, nope, no faster than a good push broom
    Last edited by BrianY; 05-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism