Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Then what?

Default Then what?

THEY KNEW
    SOON WE'LL KNOW THEY KNEW

THEN WHAT?

When the Trump voter can no longer deny the ties between Trump, his campaign, and Russia,

then what?

When the Trump voter comes to understand Trump has zero interest in helping them,

then what?

When the Trump voter accepts Trump has so many conflicts of interests that he cannot work in their interest,

then what?

When they learn his 'royal' family is also embroiled in conflicts of interest that don't concern the little guy,

then what?

Supporting Trump is like cheering for a football team. Even as your team falls further behind, you can keep believing they can catch up. However, there is a clock running, and time for a comeback gets shorter. At some point everyone in the stadium, or watching on television, comes to the realization there team is NOT going to win.

Then what?
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: Then what?

Then the murders begin.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    Then the murders begin.
    That's not all that far fetched. IF Trump and Putin had some deal going, and these investigations prevent Trump from keeping his end of the bargain, then what?

You need to read The True Believer by Eric Hoffer to understand the psychology behind his True Believers. They will, very likely, never accept their error.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Then, we hope, they will be able to take some measure of pride in how their party (the REAL republican party, not the trump circus) has returned to its core principles.

I predict, furthermore, that there will be an equal measure of glee in that the democrats still won't have their own house in order.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Ask the man who bought a Rambler or a Studebaker what the best car is...

No one wants to admit that the've made a mistake, until after it is over and done. It is not their fault when the place is out of business.
    (Hillary nailed it with "Deplorable", the lot of them)

Not now and never was a fan or supporter of Trump, but I think it is not fair calling his supporters the Deplorables. Many of my friends are "Deplorables" and their neither dumb, stupid or blind. Just hard working backbone of America guys and gals that bought into the rhetoric of making America Great. In my opinion calling them Deplorable just further drives a wedge into the split in our country.

I trust in our system and I have faith that the ship will right itself but the wounds will be deep. How deep depends on how us as citizens act toward each other.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    Not now and never was a fan or supporter of Trump, but I think it is not fair calling his supporters the Deplorables. Many of my friends are "Deplorables" and their neither dumb, stupid or blind. Just hard working backbone of America guys and gals that bought into the rhetoric of making America Great. In my opinion calling them Deplorable just further drives a wedge into the split in our country.

I trust in our system and I have faith that the ship will right itself but the wounds will be deep. How deep depends on how us as citizens act toward each other.

Chad
    Well said. I agree. My friends mostly agree with me about politics, but I work with a lot of folks who don't, and while I think they're badly mistaken about some things, calling them 'deplorable' doesn't help. Like it or not, we're in this together.

OTOH, there are some folks who will never be convinced, and the only course is that the politicians they support be defeated, and kept far, far away from power.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-19-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    THEY KNEW

THEN WHAT?

When the Trump voter can no longer deny the ties between Trump, his campaign, and Russia,

then what?

When the Trump voter comes to understand Trump has zero interest in helping them,

then what?

When the Trump voter accepts Trump has so many conflicts of interests that he cannot work in their interest,

then what?

When they learn his 'royal' family is also embroiled in conflicts of interest that don't concern the little guy,

then what?

Supporting Trump is like cheering for a football team. Even as your team falls further behind, you can keep believing they can catch up. However, there is a clock running, and time for a comeback gets shorter. At some point everyone in the stadium, or watching on television, comes to the realization there team is NOT going to win.

Then what?
    'When" ?

Nothing like condemning a person before the trial verdict is in.

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Then, we hope, they will be able to take some measure of pride in how their party (the REAL republican party, not the trump circus) has returned to its core principles.

I predict, furthermore, that there will be an equal measure of glee in that the democrats still won't have their own house in order.

For as long as I have been politically aware, the Core Principles of the Republican Party have always been Greed, White Privilege, and Military Dominance. The Trump Circus is merely the same old, same old, without any pretense to social responsibility or reverence for our Constitution. The Republican Party has reached maturity, in that they seem to accept themselves for the anti-American, authoritarian, despots they have always been.

And the Democrats STILL don't have their house in order!

IMO, the Ds need to 'mature' as well, and accept themselves as the sane, center-right party in the US, and let go of this muddled, self-serving pretense to progressivism.

Chad
    Buddy, they voted for Trump.

Not only that, but they still support him.

Chad
    I agree with you Chad. In our binary and polarized political identities it's too easy to stereotype from a negative characterization of a candidate to a broad swath of people who voted for that candidate. The people I know who voted for Trump are good smart people. The problem is that this is not normal, Trump the candidate appealed to the lesser natures in people not their good ones. He blatantly cultivated bigotry, fear and hate. I told my daughters let's make our neck of the woods better .

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    'When" ?

Really?

Trump is up to his neck in Russian mob money. He gives away state secrets that are not his to give away. He fires the people who are charged with investigating his campaign.

The man is a crook, and he will be very lucky if he manages to die in prison, rather than in some shipping container with his broken teeth lying on the floor around him.

How does the Governor of St. Kitt's score on the Trump Scale of Corruption and Subversive, Hostile Government Usurpation?

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    For as long as I have been politically aware, the Core Principles of the Republican Party have always been Greed, White Privilege, and Military Dominance. The Trump Circus is merely the same old, same old, without any pretense to social responsibility or reverence for our Constitution. The Republican Party has reached maturity, in that they seem to accept themselves for the anti-American, authoritarian, despots they have always been.

And the Democrats STILL don't have their house in order!

IMO, the Ds need to 'mature' as well, and accept themselves as the sane, center-right party in the US, and let go of this muddled, self-serving pretense to progressivism.

Buddy, they voted for Trump.

Not only that, but they still support him.
    Ozna, the problem with the CMIC is bipartisan, Repubs play to it more but it's American through and through. Andrew Bacevich has written a few books on the topic of the military and it gave me a greater understanding of the CMIC
    Last edited by LeeG; 05-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Ozna, the problem with the CMIC is bipartisan, Repubs play to it more but it's American through and through. Andrew Bacevich has written a few books on the topic of the military and it gave me a greater understanding how American the arms industry is.
    OK, if you say so.

How about the politicization of greed, and white privilege, the celebration of subverting the Constitution in the name of denying civil rights to US citizens and the rape of Earth?

These are the core principles of the Republican Party.

Every one of the Republican elite needs to be doing a long, long stretch in the pokey.

Let me say it again, Chad.

You and I can quibble about whether the word "deplorable" is the one we'd pick, but neither of us have any time for racism, for bigotry, for the kind of p#ssy-grabbing sexist bullshyte that some indulge in. We've each spoken out against such stuff, and when we've seen it happen around us, tried to find ways to intervene.

We can have long discussions about whether the person who does such stuff is themselves "deplorable," or whether just those kinds of actions they do are "deplorable." Clinton named the people rather than the actions, which may have been wrong. I've got a lot of time for honest and genuine examples of "hate the sin, love the sinner" philosophy, but they're not in vogue these days. Not with either the Reds or Blues. But to be clear, Clinton was calling those people, those bigots, racists, p#ssy-grabbing sexists who have no intention of stopping their bigotry, racism and sexism - she was calling them "deplorable."

She never once said that every Trump supporter is deplorable. Never once. She never once claimed that every person who trended Republican in the election had outed themselves as a racist, a bigot, a p#ssy-grabbing sexual b@stard.

You and I both know that.

What she said, is that those SOBs amount to something like 20% of the overall American population, and that they found legitimacy in Trump's behaviour, Trump's rhetoric, Trump's actions. That they made up a durable part of his support.

If fact, her challenge was to folks who share more of your values. Who'd have one helluva time supporting the Dems in an election for a variety of legitimate reasons, and were wrestling with who to vote for instead. Who were somehow finding ways to make peace with their consciences, and be in the same coalition-of-support that led to Trump's actual election.

She was asking who decent, traditional-values Americans wanted to be associated with - she wasn't calling those folks "deplorable," she was challenging them to live up to their actual values.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

^ Outstanding.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    You need to read The True Believer by Eric Hoffer to understand the psychology behind his True Believers. They will, very likely, never accept their error.
    Precisely.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I look at a large group of Trump's supporters purely as victims of a scam. I've known two people who were victims of "Nigerian Prince" scams. Both were college educated, had good jobs, but we're in semi desperate situations. One was supporting an ex-wife who had no healthcare, and one was dealing with an alcoholic child.

As they were responding to the scammer, they simply failed to see what was happening, and then couldn't believe what was happening.

It took a while before they admitted to being victims because of the embarrassment.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    I've started four times and just can't make it past the first chapter despite knowing it's a powerful book. This helped -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Really?

Trump is up to his neck in Russian mob money. He gives away state secrets that are not his to give away. He fires the people who are charged with investigating his campaign.

The man is a crook, and he will be very lucky if he manages to die in prison, rather than in some shipping container with his broken teeth lying on the floor around him.

How does the Governor of St. Kitt's score on the Trump Scale of Corruption and Subversive, Hostile Government Usurpation?
    Why not wait until the verdict is in based on actual evidence?

Re the Gov here, current or the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Ask the man who bought a Rambler or a Studebaker what the best car is...

No one wants to admit that the've made a mistake, until after it is over and done. It is not their fault when the place is out of business.
    (Hillary nailed it with "Deplorable", the lot of them)
    Some of them still won't. Saw a Studebaker Lark wagon with a "bailout Studebaker" bumpersticker on Sunday at a reststop

Facts don't matter to the Stumps. They vote their feelings, not facts.

It is only when policies start hurting them financially that cracks will appear in their stolid edifice of support.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The jury in the Court of Public Opinion is still out, but it's lookin' pretty grim for Ol' Gooberhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Some of them still won't. Saw a Studebaker Lark wagon with a "bailout Studebaker" bumpersticker on Sunday at a reststop
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Facts don't matter to the Stumps. They vote their feelings, not facts.

It is only when policies start hurting them financially that cracks will appear in their stolid edifice of support.
    I'm not convinced that even that does it. They seem quite capable of ignoring their own obvious interest - either thru ignorance of where they lie, or thru fanaticism. Fair or not, though, a general economic downturn seems to get everyone... even the true believers... thinking about voting the incumbents out. Oh... not their own Senators & Representatives... as much as the incumbent prez and his party in general.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    THEY KNEW

THEN WHAT?

then what?

then what?

then what?

then what?

Then what?
    On the premise that all that comes to pass and after all that say a new election is held, i) will the Democratic Party field a better/more popular candidate than Mrs Clinton, and ii) will the Republican Party field a better/more popular candidate (from what you write it won't be hard) than Mr Trump.

Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Let me say it again, Chad.

You and I can quibble about whether the word "deplorable" is the one we'd pick, but neither of us have any time for racism, for bigotry, for the kind of p#ssy-grabbing sexist bullshyte that some indulge in. We've each spoken out against such stuff, and when we've seen it happen around us, tried to find ways to intervene.

We can have long discussions about whether the person who does such stuff is themselves "deplorable," or whether just those kinds of actions they do are "deplorable." Clinton named the people rather than the actions, which may have been wrong. I've got a lot of time for honest and genuine examples of "hate the sin, love the sinner" philosophy, but they're not in vogue these days. Not with either the Reds or Blues. But to be clear, Clinton was calling those people, those bigots, racists, p#ssy-grabbing sexists who have no intention of stopping their bigotry, racism and sexism - she was calling them "deplorable."

She never once said that every Trump supporter is deplorable. Never once. She never once claimed that every person who trended Republican in the election had outed themselves as a racist, a bigot, a p#ssy-grabbing sexual b@stard.

You and I both know that.

What she said, is that those SOBs amount to something like 20% of the overall American population, and that they found legitimacy in Trump's behaviour, Trump's rhetoric, Trump's actions. That they made up a durable part of his support.

If fact, her challenge was to folks who share more of your values. Who'd have one helluva time supporting the Dems in an election for a variety of legitimate reasons, and were wrestling with who to vote for instead. Who were somehow finding ways to make peace with their consciences, and be in the same coalition-of-support that led to Trump's actual election.

She was asking who decent, traditional-values Americans wanted to be associated with - she wasn't calling those folks "deplorable," she was challenging them to live up to their actual values.
    100%. Recalling the earlier days of Trump's campaigning when he first started saying some of the nastiest things ever to come out of a politician's mouth many of us thought it was so awful that he must have some sort of hidden agenda. Perhaps he was even saying those things to make sure he had no chance of winning because he didn't actually want to be president. But the hate just kept getting worse. How could anyone think that sort of ugliness could ever lead to greatness?

Edited to add: That last sentence was meant as a rhetorical question, btw. There are any number of narratives explaining how. But if anyone wants to practice writing narratives...
    Last edited by JimD; 05-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Lock her up! Lock her up!

-- Trump's National Security Adviser
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Lock her up! Lock her up!

-- Trump's National Security Adviser

In your book, do two wrongs make a right?

Re Post #26 on the OP - On the premise that all that comes to pass and after all that say a new election is held, i) will the Democratic Party field a better/more popular candidate than Mrs Clinton, and ii) will the Republican Party field a better/more popular candidate (from what you write it won't be hard) than Mr Trump.

Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Who makes up the 'real' Republican party?

Chad
    I generally avoid insulting people, but I've made an exception. Anyone who votes for a candidate who refuses to release his tax returns AND lies as to the reason, is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Well said. I agree. My friends mostly agree with me about politics, but I work with a lot of folks who don't, and while I think they're badly mistaken about some things, calling them 'deplorable' doesn't help. Like it or not, we're in this together.

OTOH, there are some folks who will never be convinced, and the only course is that the politicians they support be defeated, and kept far, far away from power.
    Trump is unique. He has settled lawsuits for fraud and discrimination. Also for failing to pay contractors. It can't be easy to want such a man to be our president.

'When" ?

Having lived through Watergate, I'll be very surprised if this doesn't end up pretty much as that did. There exists now a great deal more evidence that ever existed against Hillary. That was more than enough for many.

Like they did for Hillary.

In your book, do two wrongs make a right?
    Only one wrong here. Removal from office is the prize of course but the impeachment and trial will be very edifying.

Re Post #26 on the OP - On the premise that all that comes to pass and after all that say a new election is held, i) will the Democratic Party field a better/more popular candidate than Mrs Clinton, and ii) will the Republican Party field a better/more popular candidate (from what you write it won't be hard) than Mr Trump.

Then what?
    One thing at a time.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?