Thread: need to repair mast step, Angelman

Default need to repair mast step, Angelman

1965 Angelman Ketch, as you can see in the photos, there is some sponginess and rot on the lower areas of the mast step. I'm a novice and am need of a game plan. Can the existing step be repaired or does it all need to come out? I understand there is significant downward pressure on the mast from it's weight and the rigging and other factors. Am not interested in punching a hole through my hull. Is a good rigger the first person to discuss this with? There's a shipwright in the area and he's always game but this would be new territory for him as well. Any and all ideas and opinions appreciated. Thank you. pics too big to upload, they're in the FB link
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5634d0d956

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: need to repair mast step, Angelman

Looks like checking in the block the mizzen steps on. Some rot.
    How many times I have seen funky steps because of dorky leaky boots.
    A rigger may know nothing of wood boat engineering.
    Maybe clean up the clutter and poke and photograph it better.
    Yes, the spar and the whole mess need to come out for survey. I would not trust even the color of the bronze SB.
    Folks warned you of the work involved?
    bruce
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 05-19-2017 at 04:00 AM.

What is SB?
    If the whole mess needs to be taken out, I'm guess the whole boat should be hauled and not just the mast yanked?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Stuffing box.
    no, you do not nessessarily need to haul the boat to fix this.
    You have other posts on this boat Athena? She sounds familiar.Had her for long?

I second the idea that you should clear up the area to start. That includes pulling the mizzen. It's highly likely that you've also got rot in the horn timber and frame ends, maybe planking ends. It's a general problem area.

Once you have the stick out of the way, make a careful survey and figure out just how much trouble you have. You usually don't have to fix everything all at once but you do want a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Stuffing box.
    no, you do not nessessarily need to haul the boat to fix this.
    You have other posts on this boat Athena? She sounds familiar.Had her for long?
    Had her about a year and half.

Very likely, I am the guy who assembled your boat if it was built in China back in 1965. I agree with the advise that has been given so far. Indeed you should clean up that funky area in way of the mizzen step by pulling the stick.
    You should be able to clean the area easily and with the mast out, having the hull in the water will allow easier access to the area without having to go up and down a ladder in the boat yard. Money will be saved by not having to pay lay days. First remove any soft mast step materials that are not stuctualy connected to the frames or planking. Then make a decision based on how good the remaining wood is. If memory serves me correctly, the horn timber and frames are made of white oak, a wood that has good rot resistance. The mast step blocking may have been made of Yang which is not as rot resistant. You may not need to haul out if the hull is intact and not infected. I would make sure to allow for adequate drainage on the new step you install! Dirt and debris have a way of clogging step limber hole drains and they should be inspected from time to time for that reason.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-19-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Well, lets hope you can access everything that needs to be addressed while afloat.
    It looks to me, though, that the timber through which your shaft and shaft-log pass and to which the stuffing box flange attaches, is the stern post. A more vertical timber then the horn timber (which I would call the tail feather).
    The funkier looking spot seems to be the deadwood under the mast step. But it's difficult to see with everything in the way, as has been said.