Thread: The New ALCORT Sunfish 1953

Default The New ALCORT Sunfish 1953

Alex Bryan out for initial trials on the new Sunfish circa 1953.

Our Sunfish looks just like it, it is number 13 of the first 20 pre production boats built for family and friends.

Default Re: The New ALCORT Sunfish 1953

Quote Originally Posted by signalcharlie View Post
    Alex Bryan out for initial trials on the new Sunfish circa 1953.

Our Sunfish looks just like it, it is number 13 of the first 20 pre production boats built for family and friends.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh very cool Charlie... sunnys are great! I'm a big fan. that is a real classic boat, any idea howmany others of that era are left? how did you come to own #13?

Hi Daniel,

We restore Sunfish and a gent who follows our Small Boat Restoration fb page contacted us and wanted to know if we'd like to have number 13. He had it in Grand Island NY and it had been through at least 2 previous owners. They had taken it apart to restore it but decided it was too big of a project. He knew we would enjoy getting it back on the water. I like that it had some time on the water at the Niagara Sailing Club and now gets some Gulf Coast time.

The complete restoration story is on our blog.

We also have a 1965 hull, an Alcort Standard Sailfish and an Alcort Super Sailfish. We're kind of an Alcort Museum I guess

I know of 4 other wooden Sunfish, one being restored by Bob Bassett, one owned by Tom Payne, one that looks Chris Craftish that recently sold and another that sold on ebay a year or so back. Oh there used to be one at Laser Performance HQ as well in Portsmouth. Oh wait, one more, the first production Sunfish sold is in the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.

Australian Sailfish, designed about the same time.

Thousands were built, not all registered, 1981/82 nationals

Brian Carroll 3244, 1974

Behaved well in a blow too, fast and wet, (Steven Floyd). This boat, along with mine built in 1963 and a group of others are still sailing, and the class is in revival.

On the beach at my home club last january. 1870 is mine

Those look cool skuthorp, happy to hear that there is a Class revival.

I like how they are personalized, we are getting into that with some of our fiberglass Sunfish restorations, they don't all need to be white with a stripe.

In the last issue of WoodenBoat the Editor suggested developing a boat that could be built in the garage, by parents and kids, and then Class raced. I sent a note suggesting that the wooden Sunfish still fits that description, 60 years later. They were available in kits as well as the factory built boats. Our Standard Sailfish and Super Sailfish came in kits as well, and plans are available for the Super Sailfish.

Thanks for posting the great pictures!

Kent and Audrey

Dad and one of his flying buddies built a pair of Sunfish in the fifties. At a time when both families were three small children each. Kathy of the other family and I being eldest and our sibs spread back in two year intervals so each boat was crewed by two adults and children aged five, three and one. We had a lovely beach we could park the family station wagons at, sail out from, make a fire for dinner, and camp overnight.

We always had other boats - a Cape Cod Knockabout, a Narasketuk, and eventually an Electra - that we sailed farther. Like across the Sound to get to a Shakespeare play at Stratford. But the Sailfish remained totally special.

And it did get across the Sound. My West Point cousin had a weekend's leave and a nice girl, all properly chaperoned at our house. They went for a sail. Being a West Pointer, he knew everything and off he went in a perfect "soldier's breeze". They vanished around Crane's Neck in the morning and we heard nothing for hours. Dad figured they'd landed on the quiet sandspit east of Old Field Point and were doing as a young couple would.

Then in the late afternoon a collect call.

From Bridgeport.

We were friends with the family that then owned the steamship Catskill so we arranged for the embarrassed bathing suited couple and the Sailfish to be returned to Port Jefferson and had lots of fun at the expense of land warriors.

But the 'Fish could get there. Woodrow Wilson Sayer (famous for an early '60s four person, no Sherpas-no oxygen Everest attempt) had a plan to enter his Sunfish in the Bermuda race. Had he been allowed to enter and had he ever finished, he'd probably have won on corrected time but that's another matter. Point is, the 'Fish are great boats. It's wonderful that people are keeping them going.

My cousin and I built 1870 in winter 1963 for use at his parents holiday house at the beach. We watched a Little America's cup series from her way out on the bay. Due to our inexperience the centreboard case always leaked giving us about 40 minutes between coming ashore to empty her out. She has had a career through a few sets of nieces and nephews in the family till I reclaimed her and rebuilt the centreboard case and put on a new deck in 2013. Recently the glue joints in the wooden mast and boom have failed, evidence suggests we used PVA. Worry is did we use it on the whole boat?

Ok,... I agree,.. #13.... Cool!!!!!!!!! I've spent enough time with them to appreciate them. Fun little boats.