Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that. . .

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    They can make all the regs they want, enforcing them will be another matter.
    Oops... thought I was in a gun control thread for a second.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

I haven't flown mine for a few years... since I broke it. I've had it repaired here in Chiang Mai.... and I've got a friend selling a resort and they've asked me to film it for them. Time to charge the batteries... and see how it works
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Drones have tumbled in price since this thread started.

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Stone-Wi...Q76M8Q5G8WY9JA

I can not fly a DJI Phantom anywhere near where I live, I need to leave the city to do that. Even that little DJI spark would be illegal to use without leaving town. Given that, I'm not too surprised by the drop in price.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I can not fly a DJI Phantom anywhere near where I live, I need to leave the city to do that. Even that little DJI spark would be illegal to use without leaving town. Given that, I'm not too surprised by the drop in price.
    i was thinking the tello would be good for the motorbike tour coming up. its a toy i know but it may be perfect to hide away.

The spark is pretty impressive. I lost out on the $150 one but will pursue another at a reasonable price. Many used ones under 300 with a complete kit and extra batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    i was thinking the tello would be good for the motorbike tour coming up. its a toy i know but it may be perfect to hide away.

The spark is pretty impressive. I lost out on the $150 one but will pursue another at a reasonable price. Many used ones under 300 with a complete kit and extra batteries.
    I think it would be perfect for that.

It does use a version of the firmware loaded onto the Spark so it is going come with a solid flight controller right out of the box.

Even the cam doesn't look that bad for 720.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    They can make all the regs they want, enforcing them will be another matter.

Full choke 12-ga with #6 shot should make for some fun skeet shooting at 75 meters.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Or... you can kick it old skool, like at this medieval re-enactment in Russia.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

I've found that when travelling with people, anything other than a helmet cam (eg a GoPro setup on a corner) just takes too much time out of your day.

I did a day out here recently with an Iranian friend who was flying a Mavic. He didn't like it - said he was going to return it - it took a lot of stuffing around. No real time savings over my Phantom 3 Pro - but certainly more compact.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

The Tello is tiny compared to a Mavic or Phantom and it'll fly from your phone. You carry the drone, a USB charger and cable, and spare batteries. You don't even need memory cards, all the photos and video go straight to your phone.

It's a slick little unit.

The geek in me loves that it's programmable!
    Nosce te ipsum

So I found a great more hands on solution -

Considering using a good used karma drone ($300) with a gopro hero 7. (below is the 6) for almost professional use.

a tello/spark to travel with.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.

First flight footage from the Tello. Not bad for a toy of less than 80 dollars. It is going to teach me a lot.

My dog Charlie loves it. The old Westie could care less.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-11-2019 at 10:31 PM.

First flight outside around my house and backyard. Wind is blowing 10 to 12.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Flight #4 - today waiting for traffic to go away. Imagine when I get my real drone in a month...

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-13-2019 at 12:20 AM.

I have only hate in my heart for drones.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Looking good! It seems to do ok with the breeze too for being such a light drone.
    Did you decide to go with the Karma and the GoPro?

BTW, tell Charlie he's a good boy.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I was like you until I saw a greater potential. They are tools mostly flown by tools. As a videographer, I find it is becoming another tool in my tool box.

today I work in nearly 100 degree dry heat with no breeze for 9 hours, in the sun carrying 40 lbs of equipment over 5 miles of fire burned lands and roads in Napa and Sonoma (Santa Rosa). I would have preferred a drone instead of being in the bucket for nearly 5 hours in the direct sun. It did wonders for my rotator cuff tear...

443614A7-4362-48C7-BB0C-6DC5D88DA5D6.jpg

BB32BB34-5A9F-46F6-9A87-059DACC64463.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-13-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Looking good! It seems to do ok with the breeze too for being such a light drone.
    Did you decide to go with the Karma and the GoPro?

BTW, tell Charlie he's a good boy.
    so I have a friend I sail with that has placed an order with DJI (he is a software programmer for them) for the new Mavic mini which will be released in late September. Will shoot 4K, 3 gimbal camera and size of a Spark but folds into a smaller form factor. Speculation is a 30 min fly time. i am also picking up a karma on Thursday for 300 with 2 batteries, a controller and a charger. A hero 7 black could do nicely. The Tello is practice to fly the Karma.

As as you can tell, Charlie is my dog. He is game to play with anything I have or will go including sailing. Smartest dog I ever had. I swear he speaks English and Spanish fluently, his accent is a throwback from when he lived in a border Mexican town coming to America for a new beginning and away from the Latin American prejudice against mixed breeds.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-13-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Are you bringing one of those to Germany?

I have a Walkera F210 and my buddy has a Mavic. Depending on which battery I use the F210 will do 60-70 mph. It is fun to fly circles around him with him filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Good for you. That sort of attitude doesn't play too well later in life... but good for you. Thanks for telling us about your hate. You'd make a good Trump supporter.

Meanwhile...... Ted - one of the best things I added to my gear was a sunshade to go over the iPad I use as a screen. It's damn near impossible to film at times without the screen shaded. Cost me about $8

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Good for you. That sort of attitude doesn't play too well later in life... but good for you. Thanks for telling us about your hate. You'd make a good Trump supporter.

Meanwhile...... Ted - one of the best things I added to my gear was a sunshade to go over the iPad I use as a screen. It's damn near impossible to film at times without the screen shaded. Cost me about $8
    Good idea - ill pick up a sunshade.

meanwhile test 6 with Tello. Music sample by regarded wbf artist