Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that. . .

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    That's why God made 12-bore shotguns.
    A shotgun is overkill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbuEUoxntQ

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I just heard on the radio that the FAA has lost a ruling in a Federal Appeals Court and now can't regulate recreational drones. Only commercial drones. No need to register any size recreational drones anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...gister-drones/
    Interesting. I wonder if there is a similar challenge here?
    Nosce te ipsum

Last Sunday I was selling at the Abbotsford Flea Market when a drone came over, stopped and "stared" at me for about 90 seconds. Left, returned for another boo so I mooned it and it was gone.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Last Sunday I was selling at the Abbotsford Flea Market when a drone came over, stopped and "stared" at me for about 90 seconds. Left, returned for another boo so I mooned it and it was gone.
    You should have gone all Russian Barbarian on him like the guy in the R/C Starfighter thread.
    Nosce te ipsum

The regulation requiring registration was overturned because the FAA Modernization and Reform Act doesn't allow the FAA to pass any new rules pertaining to the operation of model aircraft.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I just heard on the radio that the FAA has lost a ruling in a Federal Appeals Court and now can't regulate recreational drones. Only commercial drones. No need to register any size recreational drones anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...gister-drones/

Rulings made by the United States' Circuit Courts of Appeals are only binding in their circuit, barring an explicit decision by the US Supreme Court.

If the case makes it to the Supreme Court, the Appeals Court decision is binding nation-wide only if upheld by the Supreme Court.

If no appeal is made to the Supreme Court, or the Supreme Court declines to hear the case, or remands it back to the lower court for further deliberation, the decision is binding only within the circuit that issued the ruling , but it is citable as precedent for future cases nationwide.

If the Supreme Court overturns the appeals decision, it is binding nowhere.

Only if the Supreme Court upholds the Circuit Court of Appeals' decision does it apply nationwide.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

This one could carry away a small child.
    We could use a big drone like that to deal with the kids and small dogs who run over our dinghy and cat sails while we are rigging. "Sorry, no, I haven't seen your kid.

What's that buzzing noise in the distance and the controller in my hand? Sorry, it's none of your business".

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...-their-details

The link title says it all, thought some of you might find it interesting.

Well, when I post the whgole link title doesn't show up, so basically one of the drone MFGs is going to brick your drone if you dont share your info with them.

A top drone manufacturer has warned that customers' expensive gadgets will be crippled if they don't register their details on its website. DJI drones -- which cost between $1,200 and $3,000 -- won't be able to fly to their full potential or beam back footage if their owners don't sign up next week, the company warned. Those who splashed out for the snazzy gadgets will find they are limited to a teensy 50m radius and it won't be flying higher than 30m if they don't play ball.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

^ Mitigating liability. I think DJI may have just **** its own bed.

EDIT: I think we should start to remotely hobble any vehicle found, through electronic telemetry like GPS, to be exceeding the speed limit. That is a far more dangerous activity, which results in real death and injury.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 05-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

It's camera is just 720p but I've seen some pretty nice looking video from these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X9...z7L&ref=plSrch

and cheap enough to decide if you want to really get into it seriously.
    Mine arrives on Friday....Thanks

Casey tests the DJi Spark (some people find him obnoxious. I really like his videos)

^ Yeah I want one of those.
    300g though, so it's regulated.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    ^ Yeah I want one of those.
    300g though, so it's regulated.
    You guys need to have some serious chats with your politicians. My (American) neighbour and his lady are about to head to the US and Canada. He wanted to take a drone... but can't because of the stupid Canadian regulations.

As a matter of interest, my first drone was one of the lightweight 720p things. I suppose it's got a total flight time of about 5 minutes on it. They are just junk. If you ran a 100 point scale with a DJI Phantom at 100... they would rate maybe 3. Simply no comparison.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I just watched the DJI Spark launch video. They are amazing. Controlled by hand gestures, or smartphone for more range or by remote for up to 1.2 mile range. 1080p video. Preprogrammed flight routes. And it sells for $499, or $699 with a ton of extras.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You guys need to have some serious chats with your politicians. My (American) neighbour and his lady are about to head to the US and Canada. He wanted to take a drone... but can't because of the stupid Canadian regulations.

As a matter of interest, my first drone was one of the lightweight 720p things. I suppose it's got a total flight time of about 5 minutes on it. They are just junk. If you ran a 100 point scale with a DJI Phantom at 100... they would rate maybe 3. Simply no comparison.
    Hold on. Your regulations are a near copy of ours over here, except for weight classifications.

You are allowed another 100' of altitude, and you can get a little bit closer to buildings and people. 30m vs 75. VLOS rules still apply, as do aerodrome restrictions, built up areas, and so on.

As far as weights go. Here I can fly anything, anywhere, with or without visual line of sight, as long as it's light enough. There, you can't, it's 100g to 2kg. Over that you get more rules. Here we fly on the same rules, 250g+ all the way up to 35kg.

The chat to be had is yours.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 05-24-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: corrected numbers
    Nosce te ipsum

The VLOS requirement would seem to preclude the use of FPV goggles. Wouldn't it?
    Nosce te ipsum

The VLOS requirement would seem to preclude the use of FPV goggles. Wouldn't it?
    it seems acceptable to have a spotter that maintains visual contact with the aircraft and can either warn the pilot of an impending risk or take over control.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Hold on. Your regulations are a near copy of ours over here, except for weight classifications.

You are allowed another 100' of altitude, and you can get a little bit closer to buildings and people. 30m vs 75. VLOS rules still apply, as do aerodrome restrictions, built up areas, and so on.

As far as weights go. Here I can fly anything, anywhere, with or without visual line of sight, as long as it's light enough. There, you can't, it's 100g to 2kg. Over that you get more rules. Here we fly on the same rules, 250g+ all the way up to 35kg.

The chat to be had is yours.
    Sub-250 grams is toy territory. A puff of wind and you have troubles. My Phantom 3 Pro is 1280 grams... and it gets affected by wind. The pro stuff you see done for TV, they use bigger drones.

I abide by the 120 metre limit in Oz because I respect the rights and safety of general aviators. I've only flown higher in other countries.... where there isn't much in the way of general aviation.

This shot is possibly illegal wrt regulations.... but that didn't stop the government tourism authority there asking me if they could use it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I got yer drone right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnnw8ZV4vY
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Sub-250 grams is toy territory. A puff of wind and you have troubles. My Phantom 3 Pro is 1280 grams... and it gets affected by wind. The pro stuff you see done for TV, they use bigger drones.

I abide by the 120 metre limit in Oz because I respect the rights and safety of general aviators. I've only flown higher in other countries.... where there isn't much in the way of general aviation.

This shot is possibly illegal wrt regulations.... but that didn't stop the government tourism authority there asking me if they could use it.

Very nice photo. That is the sort of thing I want to do with a drone.

Agreed on the toy aspect of 250g and under, with a few exceptions. But those exceptions are not very good at the sort of thing I'm interested in. It's all about the gimbal. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

Mine arrived today, the instructions are badly translated and sparse. Trial and lot's of errors are fun.

I went a different way. I've ordered one of these, a Visuo XS809w, an obvious knock off of the DJI Mavic. It doesn't have a good camera, GPS, or even altitude hold. But it's durable, a surprisingly good flyer, and most of all, it's cheap. Fifty bucks!

Who knows, maybe I'll swap in some brushless motors and a new flight controller.

I'll keep an eye on the Spark, maybe the next version will be lighter, but I doubt it. Although, given that it's so close to making that 250g threshold, I'm expecting someone to try and shave some weight off of it. So here's hoping. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

I dunno about hunting eagles, but bird abatement around airports and for farmers would be a cool retirement job.
    Nosce te ipsum

I dunno about hunting eagles, but bird abatement around airports and for farmers would be a cool retirement job.
    Birds-B-Gone to the rescue!

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

I haven't encountered any problems with raptors... I did have a large one in the air near me when I filmed the Mekong bridge construction near Pakse IIRC... but it didn't show any interest - which is good, because I was flying at up to 500 metres above. I had a small - medium bird do a close fly-by one other time... but that's it. Oh yeah... someone took a shot at the drone with a centrefire rifle when I was flying near an airforce base with a number of interesting MiGs at it - but they missed. I'd had some trouble at the same base a few years earlier when I took some telephoto shots of the same MiGs.

I think here the crows would be a bigger concern, more so than any of our raptors.
    Nosce te ipsum

This is pretty cool. About $1,300 once it gets to market, if it gets to market.

Nosce te ipsum

There is a smaller knock off on sale for about $50, I'm thinking I might order it.

Nosce te ipsum

bump. I like the Spark.

Or do I get the toy?

B773D43F-2610-46EE-822E-2499513FB7C1.jpg

The toys are only fun for so long, at least that's what I've found out in my case. I'll end up with a Spark eventually, it's one of the items I look when I browse the classifieds.
    Nosce te ipsum

The toys are only fun for so long, at least that's what I've found out in my case. I'll end up with a Spark eventually, it's one of the items I look when I browse the classifieds.
    I can get a spark on Facebook marketplace for buck and half.

Tempting!

Oh, that is cheap. Even if it's completely bare bones with no accessories, that is still a great price.

Actually, I thought you had an Inspire. One of the big professional jobs from DJI.
    Nosce te ipsum

Oh, that is cheap. Even if it's completely bare bones with no accessories, that is still a great price.

Actually, I thought you had an Inspire. One of the big professional jobs from DJI.
    i use Trent a few times when I needed a drone shot.

Now that I down scaled - i will be able to shot drone footage with my own kit. The Spark is a practice drone before I drop big dollars on a pro one that can hold a camera cage.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-07-2019 at 10:58 PM.