Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that. . .

Default So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that. . .

the FAA and Transport Canada have pretty much killed the market for photography platform drones.

If you fly anything 250 grams or lighter, you are exempt from the new regulations. If you don't fly anything that small, these are the new rules you need to adhere to.

No flights within 9km of any aerodrome. (this I agree with)
    No flights within 75 meters of a vessel, building, person, or animal.
    No flights above 90 meters.
    No flights further than 500 meters from the operator.
    No night flights or flying in clouds.
    No flights within 9km of a forest fire. (this I agree with)
    No flights that could interfere with police or first responders.
    Must maintain direct line of sight at all times.
    Must have your name, address, and phone number on your drone.

There needs to be some sort of a certification process put into place to accommodate responsible operators. I think some broad effort from the manufacturers would help too. DJI has incorporated a no fly zone technology into their latest drones.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 05-18-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

I am in favour of strict drone regulation. Nothing else will keep these things out of everyone else's faces.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: So I've been thinking about buying a drone, and I've come to the conclusion that.

Drake Clark does a pretty good job with a drone.

https://youtu.be/WR3HeWEg6Jk

Elsewhere he explains how he works with the FAA to do this video and others.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I am in favour of strict drone regulation. Nothing else will keep these things out of everyone else's faces.
    I don't want to be in anyone's face. I want to photograph and shoot video of the beautiful place where I live. But if I did want to get in someone's face, a small buzzing drone the size of a tennis ball would be far more effective and annoying. Those are unregulated.
    Nosce te ipsum

They can make all the regs they want, enforcing them will be another matter.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I've wondered about the feasibility of transponders and persistent telemetry. The transponder would register with ATC systems in the event of an encroachment, and the telemetry in the drone should prevent any disputing that encroachment. If you fly too close, your vitals are recorded and then the suits pay you a visit.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I don't want to be in anyone's face. I want to photograph and shoot video of the beautiful place where I live. But if I did want to get in someone's face, a small buzzing drone the size of a tennis ball would be far more effective and annoying. Those are unregulated.
    I appreciate that you don't want to annoy people. But as prices drop and if these things catch on as toys, I could easily imagine thousands of them being operated as toys by thousands of people who don't give a crap about how they encroach on other people's privacy.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I appreciate that you don't want to annoy people. But as prices drop and if these things catch on as toys, I could easily imagine thousands of them being operated as toys by thousands of people who don't give a crap about how they encroach on other people's privacy.
    Photography drones start at around $1000 to $1500, which is a pretty high price point just for the sake of being an ***hole. But I get your concern, and I don't find it to be anything less than genuine. Ergo my comment above about some sort of certification. I'd be quite happy to pay Transport Canada to vet my ability to stick to the rules.
    Nosce te ipsum

There are some pretty good camera drones that are just under the weight limits for registration here in the US. But I live about a mile from the airport so I couldn't fly it by my house.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    There are some pretty good camera drones that are just under the weight limits for registration here in the US. But I live about a mile from the airport so I couldn't fly it by my house.
    Which ones? The only thing I've found that comes close is a Hubsan model that has a gimbal and shoots 1080p, no 4k, but it weighs in at 410 grams. All the rest seem to come with 720p or lower cameras, and are intended more for FPV and racing than photography.
    Nosce te ipsum

damn, time for work.

talk among yourselves. . . or not.

Where is Ian? This thread needs some pictures.
    Nosce te ipsum

It's camera is just 720p but I've seen some pretty nice looking video from these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X9...z7L&ref=plSrch

and cheap enough to decide if you want to really get into it seriously.

Photography drones start at around $1000 to $1500, which is a pretty high price point just for the sake of being an ***hole. But I get your concern, and I don't find it to be anything less than genuine. Ergo my comment above about some sort of certification. I'd be quite happy to pay Transport Canada to vet my ability to stick to the rules.
    Sure, but the thing is it's not likely there will any time soon be the resources for Transport Canada to do that, or in any practical way distinguish your high end photo drone from the Walmart buzz-the-neighbourhood versions.
    Last edited by JimD; 05-18-2017 at 10:59 AM.

My opinion of them is about the same as that of most here regarding jet-ski's - fine is some settings, useful in less, and definitely in need of regulation and restricted areas of use.

That's it - aerial PWC's...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I'm reminded of CB radios. When they became cheap in the 70s, all the rules went out the door.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    My opinion of them is about the same as that of most here regarding jet-ski's - fine is some settings, useful in less, and definitely in need of regulation and restricted areas of use.

That's it - aerial PWC's...
    quickly now, a swivel gun thread. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I went over to DJI over lunch today here in San Francisco. Met with the representative. I likey very much these DJI drones.

This one could carry away a small child, my panasonic fly kit or a super dslr with some prime lenses.

There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

I have a DJI phantom. It works fine, carries a GoPro and has decent range. But I can outrun it in my powerboat. Was real fun when I got it a few years back. But it lost its charm for me to use very quickly. Its so consuming that I find instead of shooting footage of doing the stuff I like to do, I am just flying a camera around, which is not what I go into the outdoors for.

It's collecting dust in a custom "roll-aboard" luggage carrying case in my garage.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've had a DJI Mavic for about a month. Amazing little thing. I hadn't planned on getting a drone, but I was looking into getting a new camera, having lost my old one, and one thing led to another. The portability of it is what really appeals to me.

No different to smartphones then eh? Actually.... smartphones are far, far more intrusive than drones.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Fit it up so it can fire live rounds. Then it's a gun. 2nd amendment.

the FAA and Transport Canada have pretty much killed the market for photography platform drones.

There needs to be some sort of a certification process put into place to accommodate responsible operators. I think some broad effort from the manufacturers would help too. DJI has incorporated a no fly zone technology into their latest drones.
    I don't know how many people in Canada are responsible, but in the US I have seen at least 3 people flying drones in National Parks - Yellowstone and Capital Reef, in the past couple years. They tend to keep away from the rangers.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I went over to DJI over lunch today here in San Francisco. Met with the representative. I likey very much these DJI drones.

This one could carry away a small child, my panasonic fly kit or a super dslr with some prime lenses.

That Inspire is an incredible bit of hardware, with a real nice price. It would be a real treat, but it ain't happening. However, the Phantom 3 Pro is on my short list.

Also on my short list is the 3DR Solo. But the company seems to be moving away from the consumer drone market. Mostly due to not keeping pace with DJI, and issues meeting retail demand. It's a shame really, their platform is just as good as the Phantom line. It's all open source too, so that gives it even more nerd appeal.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I have a DJI phantom. It works fine, carries a GoPro and has decent range. But I can outrun it in my powerboat. Was real fun when I got it a few years back. But it lost its charm for me to use very quickly. Its so consuming that I find instead of shooting footage of doing the stuff I like to do, I am just flying a camera around, which is not what I go into the outdoors for.

It's collecting dust in a custom "roll-aboard" luggage carrying case in my garage.

Kevin
    Trade it in for a newer "Selfie Drone." Tap a few screens and it will follow you around while you do stuff.
    Nosce te ipsum

It's camera is just 720p but I've seen some pretty nice looking video from these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X9...z7L&ref=plSrch

and cheap enough to decide if you want to really get into it seriously.
    Just ran this through YouTube, pretty darn good for hundred bucks. It would make a good trainer.

Nosce te ipsum

It would make a good trainer.
    Exactly. I have one sitting on my dresser. I need to make time to practice with it.

Before you decide, read the rules not just the one page flier.
    If you read the details you would not support the 9km restriction for aerodromes.
    The devil is in the details.
    You can buy one, but you can't legally fly it under the current regulations.
    Last edited by S/V Laura Ellen; 05-19-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

In Canada you can't legally fly a drone within 9km of an aerodrome.
    An aerodrome is defined as any where a aircraft can take off or land.
    I asked Transport Canada for a list of aerodromes, and they stated that do not have a list that they could send me.

You also can not fly in built up areas.
    A built up area is defined as anything more populated than a farmstead.

Your best option to avoid the rules is to stay under 250 grams, total flight weight including payload, to aviod all these new regulations.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Laura Ellen View Post
    In Canada you can't legally fly a drone within 9km of an aerodrome.
    An aerodrome is defined as any where a aircraft can take off or land.
    I asked Transport Canada for a list of aerodromes, and they stated that do not have a list that they could send me.

You also can not fly in built up areas.
    A built up area is defined as anything more populated than a farmstead.

Your best option to avoid the rules is to stay under 250 grams, total flight weight including payload, to aviod all these new regulations.

IIRC, it is 5km in Australia. DJI have an app that shows all the 'dromes. The height limit in Oz is 120 metres. My DJI Phantom 3 Pro flies to 500 metres above takeoff point IF it is unlocked, but I have the default set to the 120 metre limit. Light aircraft here are required to stay above 150 metres... so, ahem, no conflicts are likely. I've certainly flown the full 500 metres in other countries... where the number of aircraft is very low (eg Laos). I do believe I may have been at 500 metres when I flew over China (shh.. don't tell them).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Laura Ellen View Post
    High quality 4K video is a hard thing to come by in 250g or less.

Wingsland S6 - 4K, 230g, folding design, $550. The video samples I've seen are not great though, and there is no controller option. It's phone + app only. So far, this is the best lightweight I've found. Disappointed.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    IIRC, it is 5km in Australia. DJI have an app that shows all the 'dromes. The height limit in Oz is 120 metres. My DJI Phantom 3 Pro flies to 500 metres above takeoff point IF it is unlocked, but I have the default set to the 120 metre limit. Light aircraft here are required to stay above 150 metres... so, ahem, no conflicts are likely. I've certainly flown the full 500 metres in other countries... where the number of aircraft is very low (eg Laos). I do believe I may have been at 500 metres when I flew over China (shh.. don't tell them).
    I've not digested all of the specs yet, but doesn't the P3P have Geo Fencing, or am I thinking of the P4?
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post

That's why God made 12-bore shotguns.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    I've had a DJI Mavic for about a month. Amazing little thing. I hadn't planned on getting a drone, but I was looking into getting a new camera, having lost my old one, and one thing led to another. The portability of it is what really appeals to me.
    I've been avoiding looking at the Mavic, it's a little more than I want to spend and used ones are still rare. But I did just come across this Mavic clone for about a 3rd the cost of the DJI.

Simtoo Dragonfly Pro 4K. The video from this one look pretty decent, plus the cam can be swapped out for a GoPro.

Nosce te ipsum

I just heard on the radio that the FAA has lost a ruling in a Federal Appeals Court and now can't regulate recreational drones. Only commercial drones. No need to register any size recreational drones anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...gister-drones/

I just heard on the radio that the FAA has lost a ruling in a Federal Appeals Court and now can't regulate recreational drones. Only commercial drones. No need to register any size recreational drones anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...gister-drones/
    Interesting. This is a big deal and a new can of worms.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.