Thread: Off center mast and dagger board - same side or opposite?

Default Off center mast and dagger board - same side or opposite?

Could anyone please advise me as to the sailing advantages/disadvantages of off center masts and daggerboard being on the same or opposite sides of the boat. I am not interested in discussing the merits of center line masts and dagger boards verses off set ones. The boat I have in mind is 15 feet LOA and 3 foot beam. Almost like a canoe. I wish to install a long dagger board slot and multiple mast steps but keep the centerline clear for infinite seat/trim tweaking. This is a learning exercise for me to try different sails I have collected. Thanks, Alex.

Default Re: Off center mast and dagger board - same side or opposite?

I'm no boat designer, but it is my impression that it pretty much makes no nevermind.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'd put them opposite. Daggerboard goes a wee bit deeper when the mast is a wee bit taller, and vice versa.
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Surf and Turf View Post
    I'd put them opposite. Daggerboard goes a wee bit deeper when the mast is a wee bit taller, and vice versa.
    I've seen arguments both ways. But I seem to recall someone authoritative saying that - in actual use - there was no noticeable difference. Do you have some experience, or reports of experience... or are you theorizing?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Surf and Turf View Post
    Thanks. That makes sense.

I"d line them up. In a more extreme case, when asymmetric catamarans are built, the sail, board and rudder are always in the same hull. But in a single, skinny hull, I suspect you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

I just built a daggerboard case in my Whisp upgrade that is off-center and canted in. I do not expect to feel any real difference on port and starboard tacks. The same boat used to carry a single leeboard on the starboard rail, and the boat sailed the same on both tacks.

For what it's worth, Bolger put them both to starboard on his Brick:

-Dave

Thanks Dave. Don't you love this forum? In as many replies I already have a definitive yes, no and maybe!
    I built a Bolger brick but strayed from the plans and it was a bit of a failure. Brick has such a short waterline and huge beam that having the foils and mast on one side seems like the only option.
    Last edited by Al G; 05-18-2017 at 03:42 AM.

you might consider contacting Jim Michalak

he has successfully designed several sailboats that utilize the "off center..." you are questioning

his boats have proven themselves in a wide variety of conditions to include the TEXAS 200 & the EVERGLADES CHALLENGE

just a thought...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Hi Steve. Thanks, I've learned a lot of design theory from reading Michalak's design blurbs and newsletter over at duck works. Just thought I'd ask here as I haven't read a hard fast rule or been able to blindly copy Bolger on this query. Cheers.

Hi Steve. Thanks, I've learned a lot of design theory from reading Michalak's design blurbs and newsletter over at duck works. Just thought I'd ask here as I haven't read a hard fast rule or been able to blindly copy Bolger on this query. Cheers.

Hi Alex, The PDR racers often use offset leeboards. And due to the short fat nature of the boats this makes a pretty good test. Apparently the only real noticable effect is that the boat has slightly more weather helm with the leeboard to windward. This would imply that lining the mast up with the board might be a better way to go from a helm balance point of view? But then with a long narrow hull its not going to make much difference overall anyway.

One issue with putting both on the same side of that narrow hull is that the boat may list towards that side. Why can't the mast be near the centreline up fwd?

Gday mate. Nice to find a fellow Tasmanian! Good thinking on the PDR. That pretty much settles it for me - that it makes little difference. I'm keen for multiple mast steps on this boat so I can play with different sails and mast positions without having to butcher the boat for every experiment. I want the middle clear for a seating arrangement similar to Phil Bolger's sweet pea, Snow Pea.

Here's my take. Offset centerboards make a lot of sense. They open up the center of the boat for sleeping or more comfortable sitting and make very little difference in overall performance. Offset masts however are just hard to look at (ugly!) and should be avoided at all costs.

I think you need to have them both on the same side, for practicality reasons.

If your objective is to have a clear space down the middle that you can move along, remember that this is a narrow boat. Both the mast and dagger board will eat into that width, and are quite close together. If on opposite sides of the boat, you loose room from both sides, making the clear run down the middle narrower. If both on the same side, you loose less of that clear space.

I have built 3 boats with offset boards, but kept the masts in a central position. I would imagine that the issues of an offset mast would be down to how wide the boat is at that point, and how offset the mast might be. A slightly offset mast to clear a walk way, maybe not an issue. Not had any issues with offset rudders either. Things that might be hyper critical on a racing boat are rarely even noticable for small boats most of us use for pleasure.

Seems to me that a bigger issue with an offset mast is going to be with ergonimics. Ducking the boom might be less intuitive than it would be with a centreline mast.

Prehaps some sort of movable mast box/thwart could work?

Cystals and sweet pea's seating solution should make for a much safer and stronger boat, though I guess it will add some weight.

I am looking forward to seeing how your experiments pan out.

Junks often have multiple sails off set off set quite a little. Dinghies that use lee boards generally have the board set on the stbd. gunnel. The LF Herreshoff "Mewdowlark" and "Golden Ball" designs have twin boards that can be raised or lowered on either side of their hulls.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've seen arguments both ways. But I seem to recall someone authoritative saying that - in actual use - there was no noticeable difference. Do you have some experience, or reports of experience... or are you theorizing?
    Just theorizing, and basic trigonometry. I agree the difference is probably in the noise.
    - Mike

Leeboards.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    Here's my take. Offset centerboards make a lot of sense. They open up the center of the boat for sleeping or more comfortable sitting and make very little difference in overall performance. Offset masts however are just hard to look at (ugly!) and should be avoided at all costs.
    I use offcenterboards ( SCAMP, Walkabout, Tread Lightly, now Long Steps) and sometimes offset masts. There are a few catches, ideally the hull shape around the 'board area needs to be such that the waterflow is at a similar angle when heeled on each tack, but rig wise, the only thing that would concern me is that I'd try to balance the weights up by putting the 'board and case on one side and rig and its step on the other.
    I've found that sailing boats are remarkably tolerant of asymmetry.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Great advice, thanks. I honestly hadn't considered the weight of the rig. Opposite sides it is. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I like your idea of setting a range of mast steps so that you can experiment and see for yourself what the differences and effects are. I can imagine that in lightish wind, it might be difficult to balance the boat when the mast is positioned on the windward side.

Rick