Thread: Worst shop day ever?-I don't think so...

Default Worst shop day ever?-I don't think so...

I'd call it a pretty good day.

Cable failure. I'm not sure what the machine does but it is (was) magnificent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

Default Re: Worst shop day ever?-I don't think so...

Ouch! It's just a giant drill press, really, but that's going to be hard to fix. At least he's OK.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Yikes!

Reminds me of this:

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

Carleton Radial arm drill press - (best guess) 17" Column, 6 ft arm, about 30000 lbs. (before the extra 2" base plate and DC motor was added)

Gravity at 33 ft/second/second is always faster than people...
    Note that machine was Bang! on the deck before he ever moved. Just that falling overhead block could have killed him.

There are rules of thumb about overhead lifting. The standards today are 5:1 safety factor with the wire and chains certified with paperwork. And there is the shock load, note he was grasping and jerking each time on that chain fall and that should never be done. Start slowly, move steadily. He was cavalier about lifting that thing but had to know he was pushing the envelope. He gambled and lost.
    It is a shame to see that damage, but the gantry crane was only rated at 30k in perfect condition, with new wire, shackles and etc. Old wire is often subjected to loads you will,never know about. Wire is cheap and easy to replace. That man was nuts to lift like that and he is really lucky to be alive and undamaged.
    If he wasn't he would just be another statistic, meaning little.

As the weight came off the first block should probably checked the other lifts for tension, rookie mistake. Glad none got injurged (pardern my spelling)

Dumah
    Sanity is optional, but by no means necessary

I worked a job to remove two M/E gearboxes from an ofshore supplu vessel we were rebuilding and the idiott in charge figured the lifitng lugs for the top cover would support the weight of the full gearbox, when one lug broke and it DROPED the entire ship shook, I went home for a change of underwear.

(Burin, Trinty Sea)

Dumah
    Last edited by Dumah; 05-14-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I screwd up spelling mistakes
    Sanity is optional, but by no means necessary

Using a crane, we used to load containers (and other stuff) onto barges for the AK pipeline and transport them to Haines for the over the road trip north. Same deal, I was off watch, one of them dropped onto the aft deck as they were swinging it over to the barge. Asleep in my stateroom below decks it woke me with a bang and the tug listed about 30° and righted itself. I thought we were goners.
    It bent the bulwarks pretty good and buckled the deck a little. Which is tough to do on an ocean going tug.
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 05-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.

"I've never destroyed this much at one time."
    Thinking on it. I have had very few days where I had to spend more than a few hours erasing a trades collision.
    Study Peace

This is a reminder to myself and anyone else here who attempts to turn over their newly constructed hull with Home Depot rope and pulleys!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

And he'd towed it on the road with that little truck. Sheesh.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

DumBazz.

I've done more than a few dodgy ad hoc lifts... but never with something that weighty, nor pushing the envelope that much. That kinda stupidity can kill you quick.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Seems to me that pretty much everything, except maybe the overhead beams, was too light duty. Messing with big stuff requires some knowledge & common sense.

However - good for him to post it so people can (hopefully) learn from his mistakes.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    This is a reminder to myself and anyone else here who attempts to turn over their newly constructed hull with Home Depot rope and pulleys!
    Now why would a boat owner with a clue use Home Depot rope? OK - maybe polypro for a dinghy line so it floats & doesn't foul the prop...

I have 100' of 5/16 dacron line (divided into 2 lengths) that I bought 35 years ago as load tie-down rope. It's lived in 2 Land Cruisers & 4 or 5 pickups & is still in great shape. Cheap when you amortize it like that!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Right, no old cable.

Interesting to note the failure reason
    We don't know how lucky we are....

"just start yankin' on this thing, see if I can get it up"

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Right, no old cable.

Interesting to note the failure reason
    "That" failure reason.
    There is always only one failure..

I worked with a guy who fell 50 feet down a radio tower. Both arms broken, one ankle, concussion.
    He was wearing a rig that had some sort of brake that grabs a rope during a fall. Not being a climber, I don't know the nomenclature.
    Anyway, his "partner" had previously used the fall rope to pull a car from a ditch. The rope had stretched out and was no longer thick enough to activate the brake.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "That" failure reason.
    There is always only one failure..
    When I worked in 'industry' everything was ticketed. When I worked on farms etc, not so much......

So the way the cable failed was worth noting.

"I worked a job... (Burin, Trinty Sea)" -Dumah

Was that on the project to convert the ships from their Russian origins into the Trinity & Burin at Eastern Passage, back in 1998-99?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Yes, It would seem that the size of the cable was not the cause, so if it hadnt been faulty all would have gone well.
    I felt uncomfortable watching him take on a job like that by himself. Another point of view/perspective is always helpful.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Gravity at 33 ft/second/second is always faster than people...
    Note that machine was Bang! on the deck before he ever moved.
    This caught my attention and if you slow the video down to 1/4 speed, using the controls on YouTube, you can really see how slow reaction is. Its missed him. His moving had nothing to do with that.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

When I worked in 'industry' everything was ticketed. When I worked on farms etc, not so much......

When I toured the Forensic Science Centre, among other interesting projects laid out on the desks, was a failed cable undergoing electron microscopic examination to see if the break was man-made or not.
    Obviously from a fatality or serious accident.

I resisted the temptation to pocket one of the pistols that didn't seem to be under much security.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Yes, It would seem that the size of the cable was not the cause, so if it hadnt been faulty all would have gone well.
    I felt uncomfortable watching him take on a job like that by himself. Another point of view/perspective is always helpful.
    I concur.

I wonder what the machine was loaded on with?

Anyway, I can see some new cable, some electric winches and a control box that allows him to stand well back ( and on the ground too!) in this persons future. And lets just take a moment to appreciate his survival and ours too and then another moment for those we knew who weren't so lucky.

Stuff happens. From the guy's tone it sounds like he had previous experience with his equipment and machinery of that size. Had he been a bit faster the job would have been all done before the failure.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Stuff happens. From the guy's tone it sounds like he had previous experience with his equipment and machinery of that size. Had he been a bit faster the job would have been all done before the failure.
    It is good you've explained that going faster would have made that job safer.

Nothing to do with a fatigued portion of that wire going over the sheave, nothing at all...

I don't know if people realize that in the theatre heavy things are hoisted daily. There are the weights to be moved, and the counterweights to control them, so sometimes huge loads are involved.

I have seen some awful things happen, and almost none of them were accidents.
    Sloppy or careless work generally.

Inspecting the fly system is a regular and terrifying part of the job. Lots of shivs and lines and weights and pins and rails and brakes and...

Moving big stuff always makes me hyper alert and chicken.

Peace,
    Robert

Last edited by Stiletto; 05-17-2017 at 05:23 AM.

part 2? Repair.
    Study Peace

What's this "when you're pokin' holes" that he's talking about near the end?

He's burned the paint off the break. He apparently has no idea what heat does to metal. He's also counting on the weld to carry all the stress that was spread across the entire casting. I'm thinking video number 3 is going to be gorey.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Wont that need a lot of pre-heating before welding? It will be a huge heat sink.