Thread: Maine ,things to see?

Default Maine ,things to see?

We will be driving through Maine on our way home . This summer we are going from BC to Newfoundland and back.

Default Re: Maine ,things to see?

Nope, nothing to see along this coast.

Unless you want to see some of the best cruising areas anywhere, and more than a few wooden boat shops and museums. I happen to be fond of this peninsula with Wooden Boat School, Brooklin Boat Yard and many others down the road. Then there's Acadia National Park with miles of carriage trails,views from Cadillac mountain a few miles away.

That's just in this area, Maine has a very long coastline. Hope you have enough time to explore.
    Last edited by SBrookman; 05-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    Rivus 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Oh boy, that's like asking if you can get ice cream in an ice cream store...

As said, the Blue Hill, Brooklin, WB area is a must see. Near there, if you can get on a boat, the islands off Stonington are wonderful (a friend described them as a cruising ground designed by Disney). Futher down, ride the ferry from Port Clyde out to Monhegan (it's a day trip - out in the AM, spend a few hours, back in the afternoon), then maybe the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath (& the fort/beaches at Popham). Portland is a neat little city with a lot of great restaurants & you could ride one of the ferries there to see some of the harbor islands.

The coast has hundreds of great waterfront towns, but because of the jaggedness of the coast, you have to take side trips (sometimes lengthy) from Route 1.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The Penobscot Marine Museum is Searsport is worth a visit, and taking a walk around Front Street Shipyard and the downtown in Belfast, too. If you end up going down to Stonington, there's a campground there that lovely and also rents sailboats: http://www.oldquarry.com/shop/sailing.php Really the opportunities are sort of infinite up here. Let us know more about your particular interest and we can probably make even better suggestions.

Almost all places deserve more time it seems, we are leaving this Friday and getting back at the end of July. Avoiding cities of course . Maybe, Halifax and St.Johns. We're from BC. I grew up on the coast.

Forty, fifty, years ago I would have said stop in Freeport to visit LL Bean's wonderful old store, but that is long gone. Look for out of the way lobster pounds where you can eat you fill and not go broke. What brings you to Newfoundland? Before you leave watch "The Republic of Doyle" on Netflix.

I have to agree with the above posts; having spent the past 8 years in Blue Hill building my boat I can't recommend any place higher for anyone interested in wooden boatbuilding and sailing in general. Blue Hill is kinda the gateway to the Blue Hill Peninsula where you'll find Brooklin, home of Wooden Boat Magazine, The Brooklin Boatyard, and Brion Reiff Boatbuilder. These two builders have always been very open to visitors whether just looking or seeking advice. Cross the bridge from Brooklin and you're onto Deer Isle and Stonington. I recommend http://www.oldquarry.com/ If you enjoy camping. It's a great place to stay and/or rent sailboats or kayaks to explore the offshore islands.
    Another Boatbuilding resource I've found is http://www.elkspar.com/ on Mount Desert Island. He was very helpful and giving with advice when I was getting ready to build my spars. While on MDI, there are several boat builders and Harbors to visit, plus a few day charters to take advantage of. I particularly like SailAcadia.com which will take you on captained sails on either of two friendship sloops.
    Another place to grab a sail on a friendship sloop is further "Up West" near Boothbay with sailmuscongus.com . A favorite of mine since he converted his boat to the silence of electric power.
    I'm not affiliated with any of these outfits but became acquainted with them during my time in Maine. Maine is the closest I have to home port now.

If you are interested in Arctic exploration the Peary/Macmillon Museum at Bowden College would be worth a visit. Then you could follow that up with a visit to Admiral Peary's house on Eagle Island.

http://www.bowdoin.edu/arctic-museum/
    https://www.pearyeagleisland.org

A trip to Monhegan Island might be fun also, the ferry leaves from Port Clyde.

That's quite a trip! I've been fortunate enough to have spent time in BC and Newfoundland. But I always flew, sounds like you're driving? I think you'll find the coasts somewhat similar in flavor, but our trees are much smaller.

If you get to Newfoundland, I highly recommend St. John's: jellybean houses, icebergs, great mussels, very nice people with a wicked accent (more than Maine), and a weird time zone (1/2 hour off).
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    Rivus 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Yeah, we're pulling a travel trailer and bringing our Yellow Lab/ Golden Retriever. I'm interested in "and more than a few wooden boat shops and museums. " As a history buff and a maker of sawdust, I find museums of them both pretty interesting. The only wooden boat I've made is a canoe, Ted Moore's "Nomad", a 17' prospector.

Depending on your timing, Gagetown is 10 minutes off the Trans Canada in central NB. It is still the spring freshet here, but the river is (finally) going down fast, and the boats should all be in the water by the time you get to this area. Would be glad to offer hospitality and some boating time, if it's mutually convenient. PM me if this is of any interest.

Tony.

The Penobscot museum in Searsport has a good collection of fine marine art.
    https://penobscotmarinemuseum.org/

Rockland has an interesting museum, nautical/mechanical stuff.
    http://www.sailpowersteammuseum.org/index.html

While you are in Rockport there is the Farnsworth, Home to an excellent collection Of Wyeth's
    http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/

There is a good museum in Bangor, Land transportation (I like it)
    http://www.colemuseum.org/

And maybe the best transportation museum around is the Owls Head Transportation museum
    http://www.colemuseum.org/

The Maine maritime museum in Bath
    http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/

And then walking around in Bluehill, Rockport, Camden, Rockland or any town is all great. A lot of friendly forum members are in Maine...

Penobscot Marine Museum and Maine Maritime Museum also have a bunch of native to Maine boats. Starting to work on some virtual tours of the PMM collection with Off Center Harbor. A close up feature this summer is the last pod aka double ender used in the lobster fishery. I found photos of Orin Ames fishing it off of Criehaven taken in the 70s. Plan is to start with pods for the virtual tours.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Penobscot Marine Museum and Maine Maritime Museum also have a bunch of native to Maine boats. Starting to work on some virtual tours of the PMM collection with Off Center Harbor. A close up feature this summer is the last pod aka double ender used in the lobster fishery. I found photos of Orin Ames fishing it off of Criehaven taken in the 70s. Plan is to start with pods for the virtual tours.
    There's a name I haven't heard in many years. Helped (very occasionally) on Ames' boats shrimping back then.

Not sure how it is now, but the last time I went into Canada with my dog I needed a rabies certificate (for the dog), not sure what else. Sounds like a great trip. If you pass through Vermont, you might want to stop at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.
    Last edited by Oldad; 05-15-2017 at 07:45 AM.

We've had the dog's shots brought up to date, a $500 vet visit. After all those pokes, when we went back for a booster, she wasn't coming out from behind me. Lake Champlain has a lot of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    We've had the dog's shots brought up to date, a $500 vet visit. After all those pokes, when we went back for a booster, she wasn't coming out from behind me. Lake Champlain has a lot of history.
    If you do make it to VT, please check in. Grant's (Oldad's) suggestion of the LCMM is a good one. If you are a scuba diver you can also dive on some wrecks in the lake (see Waterfront Diving Center in Burlington) dating as far back as the late 1700's. If in Burlington, make sure to grab a drink and/or bite at Splash, located at the Burlington Boathouse. You can rent some boats there, as well as go out on some tourist boats. Splash's tables are on a floating dock looking out at the Adirondacks. Spectacular sunsets.

Also drive through the Lake Champlain Islands. Stop at the North Hero House for a bit of food outdoors looking at the Green Mountains to the east.

Downeast Maine! Visit Lubec.