Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boots

Default Re: boots

I can strongly recommend Blundstones:

http://www.blundstone.com.au/

They are, I believe, widely available in the USA.
    Nick

Ok, guys, sorry for bumping. What are your current recommendations? What was your last successful boots purchase?

My tops are Rocky AlphaForce Waterproof Zipper Boot. They are perfect for the long walks in the woods with my little daughter and for working purposes too. If I would choose now my next work boots , I would definitely order one of those. The huge minus of many comfy boots is that they look very ugly and that's absolutely not suitable for me. I always look for a good balance of good quality, comfortableness and a good style.
    Last edited by mike9199; 08-05-2022 at 12:57 PM.

I wear boots full time, and have burned through nearly all of the brands named, most with a "safety toe." I kept getting better and more expensive ones, full leather, etc... but they all sucked really. Failed in a year and weren't really that comfortable. Needed something new for hiking in mexico, ended up with sketchers because they were within walking distance of the anchorage.

They have been damn good boots. A better boot at half the price, not full leather but lasting well after hard usage.

Merrill moabs or similar. Stay away from Keens.

they are all glued together now.

Feet need basic protection. Your ankle should take care of itself if working properly.

Over the years I have gone through the progression of wearing Keens (poor choice now) Merrill Moabs (worn out several pairs), but now I wear Oboz. These are noticeable better quality, fit and wear better. I am not going back to any other brand! Oboz is a small Montana based company that also does good environmental work.
    Last edited by timber_cruiser; 08-04-2022 at 08:39 AM.

I’ll give them a shot. Do they size the same as the Merrill’s?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’ll give them a shot. Do they size the same as the Merrill’s?
    Yes, for me they are the same size. I have always found Keens a bit wider.

White's Boots out of Spokane are the gold standard. Expensive but lifetime boots (and repairable/resoleable).

https://whitesboots.com

I love Redbacks from Australia. 4 dealers in Phoenix. All the sort of places that outfit first responders.

https://www.redbackboots.com
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Intrepid View Post
    If you want to make a real investment, find a cobbler that makes bespoke boots. Theyll run you maybe $600, but with proper maintenance and repair will last a lifetime.

Both White's Boots and Wesco do bespoke work.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Whameller View Post
    I can strongly recommend Blundstones:

http://www.blundstone.com.au/

They are, I believe, widely available in the USA.
    Blundstone's are all made in China now. They've morphed into fashion boots.

Redback's are what you want these days.

Wolverine still makes a great boot. Pricy but they are comfortable and worth it. There is some style too. They are my goto work boot that I can walk, stand and work all day. (I also use Merrills for dirty work and hiking.) I have bought them at Nortroms Rack for 1/2 price $145 after the first pair was taken from the car.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 8.28.34 AM.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Interesting, because my wife has problems with soles/rands separating from the upper but I never have, and I'm much harder on my shoes than she is. Re-gluing her soles with either 3M 5200 or Lexel has worked well, so you might try this to get another season out of your boots.

For me, after 20 years in traditional boots and Sno Seal (Danners, various Italian brands) I finally got tired of soggy feet in wet snow, but it was mostly the the weight, a pound or two more than comparable glued sole boots. In the Cascades above the treeline, I haven't seen a traditional stitched sole in years. That technology belongs with canvas tents and manila rope, in my opinion.