Thread: 14' Norwegian 'Rana' sailing/rowing pram

Default 14' Norwegian 'Rana' sailing/rowing pram

I am curious about the forums familiarity of this design, history and so forth. Also, I found this add online and based on this limited information what the consensus may be with regard to price, value, and the like.

Thanks for your help.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/6070898487.html

Default Re: 14' Norwegian 'Rana' sailing/rowing pram

If it's in as good condition as it appears to be in the photos it looks like a good buy to me. I doubt that you could build it for much less, plus the trailer w3ould cost even more.

Maybe a Rana, not a pram (transom bow). They built both, I think into the 1970's. I just finished refurbishing a small Rana pram for a client, nice boat. CWB in seattle had one of the larger sharp bowed models, gaff main flying a slack jib as I recall. Full enough in the stern to carry a small outboard without squatting terribly. Once in a long while Rana's appear on the market. No idea of value.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I called the guy, will be pursuing this as a purchase pending another prospective buyer, and with any luck will be making my own foray into the world of sail and oar.

Too full in the stern as I remember to be a really great sail and oar design, but that's nitpicking. For a reasonable price in reasonable condition you will get a good deal of enjoyment out of that boat. A lot of bouyancy in the stern has its positive aspects as well. Good luck.

There are several here and I understand that they were imported by the guy that started the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle. I just sold mine, that needed some work, for $150 worth of roasted coffee beans in 1lb packages delivered every other week. Mine was a 14' model like the one above but without sailing gear.

Perhaps not ideal, but being presented with far fewer challenges in regard to location than you and your companions face it'll have to suffice as a first step. Someday I'd like to have a craft more ideally suited for the Salish Sea, perhaps even one constructed by yourself, Mr Hvalsoe. But at my current season in life this, I think anyway, will do for now.

I live in Pasco, WA at the confluence of the Yakima, Snake, and Columbia rivers. So while there is a persistent, one way current through town, there is miles of water behind dams and road access almost everywhere. Plus plenty of sun and warm weather, wind, and water you can swim in. I'm chomping at the bit, so to speak, and in the words of Theodore Roosevelt, am ready to "Get Action." Thanks for the advice, and not just in this thread, I've read hours worth of threads on this site about your boats and trips, well worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Koschmann View Post
    There are several here and I understand that they were imported by the guy that started the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle. I just sold mine, that needed some work, for $150 worth of roasted coffee beans in 1lb packages delivered every other week. Mine was a 14' model like the one above but without sailing gear.
    Did that include any sails, oars, hardware, or a trailer? And when you say work, what do you mean exactly? If you dont mind my asking.

In talking with the owner he said its had the exterior varnished with in the last two years and the interior is what you would expect from it being a working boat. He seems to use it a fair amount and there would be nothing preventing me from taking it home and doing the same. He mentioned there was a little bit of dry rot near the top of the dagger boat trunk, but nothing substantial.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by robertjhall1 View Post
    Did that include any sails, oars, hardware, or a trailer? And when you say work, what do you mean exactly? If you dont mind my asking.

In talking with the owner he said its had the exterior varnished with in the last two years and the interior is what you would expect from it being a working boat. He seems to use it a fair amount and there would be nothing preventing me from taking it home and doing the same. He mentioned there was a little bit of dry rot near the top of the dagger boat trunk, but nothing substantial.

Thanks again.
    Mine had a cracked plank. No oars or sail rig, no centerboard. The breasthook needs replacing. No trailer.

[QUOTE=robertjhall1;5236700]Perhaps not ideal, but being presented with far fewer challenges in regard to location than you and your companions face it'll have to suffice as a first step. Someday I'd like to have a craft more ideally suited for the Salish Sea, perhaps even one constructed by yourself, Mr Hvalsoe. But at my current season in life this, I think anyway, will do for now.

I live in Pasco, WA at the confluence of the Yakima, Snake, and Columbia rivers. So while there is a persistent, one way current through town, there is miles of water behind dams and road access almost everywhere. Plus plenty of sun and warm weather, wind, and water you can swim in. I'm chomping at the bit, so to speak, and in the words of Theodore Roosevelt, am ready to "Get Action." Thanks for the advice, and not just in this thread, I've read hours worth of threads on this site about your boats and trips, well worth the time.[

Enjoy you new boat!
    Love the sound of water you can swim in.
    Eric

FYI - Dick Wagner, recently departed, brought Rana's to Seattle for resale and as part of the original CWB fleet.
    Last edited by Eric Hvalsoe; 05-14-2017 at 11:34 AM.

[QUOTE=Eric Hvalsoe;5237009]
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjhall1 View Post
    Perhaps not ideal, but being presented with far fewer challenges in regard to location than you and your companions face it'll have to suffice as a first step. Someday I'd like to have a craft more ideally suited for the Salish Sea, perhaps even one constructed by yourself, Mr Hvalsoe. But at my current season in life this, I think anyway, will do for now.

I live in Pasco, WA at the confluence of the Yakima, Snake, and Columbia rivers. So while there is a persistent, one way current through town, there is miles of water behind dams and road access almost everywhere. Plus plenty of sun and warm weather, wind, and water you can swim in. I'm chomping at the bit, so to speak, and in the words of Theodore Roosevelt, am ready to "Get Action." Thanks for the advice, and not just in this thread, I've read hours worth of threads on this site about your boats and trips, well worth the time.[

Enjoy you new boat!
    Love the sound of water you can swim in.
    Eric

FYI - Dick Wagner, recently departed, brought Rana's to Seattle for resale and as part of the original CWB fleet.
    Thanks, though it is not my boat yet. I am in communication with the guy and while I am basically telling him I will take it, due to my distance and difficultly in getting over there quickly, it is seemingly difficult to get him to commit it to me. Being on craiglist and the anonymity involved, I suppose I understand his position, to an extent anyway.

I very recently became away of that fact, thank you for the information. If I am able to procure the boat, I wanted to see how much I could track down about it, starting at the WBC. I imagine boats of this size, being largely unregistered and likely never having a title would be difficult to track down. But I would try none the less, and at the very least learn as much about them and their history as one could even if it ends up not being about this one in particular.

Well good luck. Buying sight unseen sounds a little scary.
    I suspect records regarding Dick's Rana activities will be hard or impossible to find.
    My story about the Rana pram - I replicated one that had become very tired for a friend many years ago. Might have built a couple more hulls from those molds. Then no interest for a long time. The molds did not make the next shop move. The only molds of mine in fact that never made a shop move. My friend's family lost the replica I had built for them, and I could not replace it with the same hull. Years later my friend found a practically pristine Rana Pram in Tacoma. Maybe even on Craig's List, I don't recall. He was overjoyed. Required only some light refurbishing and spiffing up.

Besides investigating the Rana brand directly, Paul Schwiess may have some insight. He was around Wagner's operation early on.

A friend of mine used to import these into the UK and I used to sell them in Cornwall in the 70's. We sold four models, two prams and the 14 and 17 ft dinghies.They were popular and some are still around. At the time I was told that the boats were built under a scheme that the Norwegian government had to keep farmers employed in the winter.Susequent glass models were not as attractive.

Maybe she has a new owner now, ... the add has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Maybe she has a new owner now, ... the add has been deleted.
    Reposted.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/6131235083.html