Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Nutshell Pram - 9' 6"

Default Re: Building a Nutshell Pram - 9' 6"

Yeah thats been the plan B in my head.
    It is kinda cool to pull floppy bits of wood out of a steam box, but practically speaking, if i can't thickness them down, rip them thin and work with that.
    But - it is fun the play around with different techniques. We have plenty of time to be practical
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

here's a pick of the floppy steam pipe.
    Amazing how malleable the PVC is when its hot - good trick for making odd bends work.

here's the center laminate jig with the strips on for a dry run.
    yet to see how they came out, will release them this evening i think. satisfy my curiosity.

Trev
    Last edited by gypsie; 07-14-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

I k ow what you mean about the PVC. I rigged a solar water heater to hear my spa tub. I used PVC pipe in a couple of spots. The heating worked well, the PVC not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Yeah thats been the plan B in my head.
    It is kinda cool to pull floppy bits of wood out of a steam box, but practically speaking, if i can't thickness them down, rip them thin and work with that.
    But - it is fun the play around with different techniques. We have plenty of time to be practical
    All true! I like trying different techniques too.

Rick

Glued up the laminates and clamped down. I noticed at the tight bends the wood was crushed in spots where it couldn't compress enough. i figured these could be weak spots so i included two layers of Fiber Glass in the laminate. Not sure if they will do anything but intuitively it makes sense. i had the scraps of FG so nothing lost. One layer between the first and second innermost laminates, and the second layer of FG between the second and third outermost layers. This outermost one will end up being cut into, but the corners should remain supported by it.

i really do love the way a glued laminate maintains the shape. Again, no sign of spring back and millimeter perfect.

also started to cut out the strakes.

Last edited by gypsie; 07-14-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: add photo's after photobucket debacle

Politically correct is an oxymoron but politically approved isn't.

Rick

Alternatively, just use thinner strips.

Looks good!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hardly anyone here will agree with me on this but ...... if I were you I'd ditch the steaming, cut your timber into thin strips and laminate it. Steamed timber regularly fails, especially thin pieces. Laminated pieces will last a lot longer, it's easier to do and a lot stronger.

Rick
    I don't have any experience with steamed timber failing, but I will say that the center frame and forekeel my nutshell was built as Rick describes, out of strips of doug fir ripped out of what amounted to a 2x4. It was quite easy and quite quick (relatively anyway...nothing I do ever actually goes quick). So I would not recommend messing around with steaming...just not worth the trouble.
    One fella's .02
    -Paul
    s/y PickPocket

Thanks Paul, that was my intention but I couldn't thickness them down thin enough. I did have fun steaming the ribs though. I'd do it differently the next time.

Cut the frame and stem piece out of the laminated pieces. very happy with that result. rounded off the edges of the frame with a 12mm radius router bit, and the stem piece with a 5mm radius bit. the 12mm was working very hard on my little router.

Cut out and glued up some Blue Gum for the transoms. i'm hoping to leave these bright, but i'll see how i go.

And while i'm talking to woodenboat people, I was at the stores of the museum I work in today and saw their collection of pacific island canoes.
    Hare is pronounced - Harry.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/tomako-war-canoe-e23373
    Last edited by gypsie; 07-14-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Hmmm that blue gum looks nice. I'm about to get some big blue gums chopped down, getting varied views on whether it's any good for anything other than wood chips.

https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Woo...thern-blue-gum

Its pretty hard, i've heard of it being used for planking.
    A quick google comes up with a large range of uses, i think it'd be a terrible waste to just chip it.

Blue gum's a lovely timber. I'm using it a lot in the house. Isn't it a bit heavy for those transoms?

Rick

Yeah, i had that thought too. Little boat - heavy bits..... I've cut out the aft transom now and its not particularly heavy, marginally heavier than 18mm ply i'd guess. But, its not destined to be a racing machine, and an extra half kilo fore and aft shouldn't sink it......
    my concern is on launch and retrieve, too heavy to lift. So adding weight is something to consider.
    I did read in someones tread somewhere, there was an advantage, in a towed tender, to have planked transoms. Experience showed hardwood planks were easier to repair....?

but mostly, i love the rich beautiful colour ��

Trev

Ok, looks like I'm going to find a guy with a Lucas mill. Some would say it's a good opportunity to buy a Lucas mill....

Why can't the trees stay where they are, Phil?

Rick

Well that's the thing, they probably won't. If they would just stay where they are that would probably be OK.They are on a friends property, planted as a wind break on a ridge, maybe 25 years or so ago I guess. Sheltering the house. Now apart from dropping massive amounts of bark they are starting to drop the odd limb, and some have a borer in them. A few have died. Most are healthy enough, I guess the trunks are a metre or so diameter, a metre or so from the ground. Some less, some more. And very tall. Their height is quite a bit more than their distance from the house. We have a contractor coming in to fell the 7 most dangerous soon. And there's another 80 or so after that.

Wow, that's a lot of timber! As far as I know, blue gum's blue gum but it might be worth checking the species before you order your Lucas mill.

Rick

Might get the first batch of seven sawn up and see how that goes.

It's quite pink when cut but over time, i.e., years, it goes a lovely chocolate brown. Beautiful timber.

Rick

And pretty good to work. I was expecting a beast of a job planing the bevels into the transom, but it was smooth. Little no no tare out. No greater effort than DF, clearly a bit more but nothing like A hard wood seems to promise.
    I think you have a terrific find there.

Oh bugger, sad to see this thread is a victim of PhotoPhucket. I'm just back from a trip to the hardware store and then Duck Flat wooden boats, hardware for some pine and chipboard to make the building frame and temporary mounds, and duck flat for 3 sheets of marine ply. My sons build of the 7'6" version as a school project is about to start. I'm trying to get him to register here and start a thread of his own. I figure he can submit that as part of his school project.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Oh bugger, sad to see this thread is a victim of PhotoPhucket. I'm just back from a trip to the hardware store and then Duck Flat wooden boats, hardware for some pine and chipboard to make the building frame and temporary mounds, and duck flat for 3 sheets of marine ply. My sons build of the 7'6" version as a school project is about to start. I'm trying to get him to register here and start a thread of his own. I figure he can submit that as part of his school project.
    wow - great project! Good on you guys.

Photobucket - bugger!

Oh bugger, sad to see this thread is a victim of PhotoPhucket.
    i got all but one of the pictures back in.
    its from One Drive so not sure if everyone can see them. let me know if you can't.

Brief hiatus while the rest of my family went north to see their cousins, i got to look after the bright work, electrics, cleaning up of; the big boat. hence no work on the tender.

Here's the bow transom on the clamp - having full faith in the drawings!

now both Transoms beveled and ready for installation.

looking through the plans, i need to cut the angles to mount the transoms on the strong back and at that point i'm ready to assemble.
    Pulled out the stem piece and measured it up against the bow transom, saw a bevel is inevitable. measured it up to the sole, got the angle from that. checked it out against the garboard strake, measurements seemed to work out.
    Bugger it - went and planed in the bevel. Here's hoping the plans are accurate - they say Epoxy has some great gap filling qualities.

From Google Photo's - let me know if the pics don't appear.

heres the mount for the bow transom attached. 68 degree angle. I hope the plans come together like they should.

holding the batton for mounting the next form on with angle brackets.

with a little mirror bracket at the back it is a solid as anything.

Aft Transom Mount

And all together.

Hung the transoms on the strongback. Screwed the stem piece into the bow transom but the angle meant it didn't seat into the second mold.

I popped a couple of screws out of the supports and tilted the whole thing back maybe 3 degrees or something. Happy to live with that, really a very small change.
    you can see in this image below how the after part of the support has dropped about 5mm.

sweet

Sat the base of the hull on. It sat about 5mm too far to starboard. i loosened the mold and shifted it over to suit.

Dry fit for checking. Sander is just for weight.

And glued down. Nice to see the drawing transfer is working out well. I really didn't think the plans would line up anywhere near as nicely as they are.
    (you can also see the very tatty inflatable underneath that this boat will replace).

Got the bevel into the sole. Not as tricky as i thought it would be. the seams for the ply layers give a great reference for the fairness of the curve.
    one thing i am conscious of is errors or small decisions, to plane of a little more here or there - and that amplified through to the last strake.

And - took delivery of my lovely new little block plane. How did i ever live without it

Lined up the first garboard strake, marked for a little trimming fore and aft.

Dry fit.

And glued down.

side 2 on and edges planed back.

getting a nice snug fit, its feeling good on the join. though there is a little edge set that is pulling the side away from the second last (temporary) mold - just before the aft transom.

Preparing the next 2 strakes.

And Oooooze

and from the back

Third strake on and some gaps filled.

A little heavy on the ol' sanding there at the bow. but no harm done.

ready to flip i think.

nervous about the flip.
    I'll be skinning the bottom with glass i think. thats not in the book, so wondering about the order of operations.
    thinking; flip and complete build as normal. then glass the outside and paint.
    Last edited by gypsie; 09-25-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: tried different link to pictures

None of the photos show up for me since 7/31 when you went to Google pics.
    Travis.

Great progress, but can't see your pics. We've glued up our transoms and laminated the main frame. That was tense, really tight bends! But successful.

Bugger on the pictures.
    I'm using Google Photo's.

Great progress, but can't see your pics. We've glued up our transoms and laminated the main frame. That was tense, really tight bends! But successful.
    Congratulations mate, yeah those corners for that center frame are tight.

I'm really annoyed the pics aren't showing.
    I wonder if its a permission thing on Google Pics.....?

there is no science behind this at all but here's the link to my pictures;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

wondering if clicking on that might suddenly make them appear to you.