Thread: Release agent for wood forms

Default Release agent for wood forms

Gentlemen

I am working a poured wall project that will involve a couple of hundred 2x4 doug fir or pine. I’d like to treat the boards with a release agent that will leave the wood in a good condition for future use. In particular, I’d like the option to paint or stain. And perhaps shou-sugi-ban (burned woodsiding).

I was thinking of using shellac since it would be amenableto both paint and should not produce especially toxic byproducts on burning. Also looking at Anchorseal (the original) but imagine a wax coatingwould be a problem if I wanted to paint.

I’d like to avoid the stink and mess of diesel/motor oil. And I’m not that familiar with other alternatives.

Any other recommendations I ought to be looking at?

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by bluedog225; 05-10-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spacing

Default Re: Release agent for wood forms

Cresset chemical company make a killer release. Spray on a very light coat. http://cresset.com/agents.html
    I have the 880-VOC. It doesn't affect painting the concrete. I don't know about the forms.

Jeff

I'm mystified as to why one would build a wall form with "a couple of hundred 2x4 doug fir or pine." It would seem standard, wider, form lumber would be a better way to go. That said, I think that if it were possible to recycle concrete form lumber so that it could be used "as new" bright finished wood, that would be widely done, and, as far as I know, it isn't.

Have you considered checking out your local construction equipment rental companies to see if any of them rent (used) form lumber or other reusable form systems? I believe most concrete contractors keep their useable form lumber and use it over and over again and some rental places rent form lumber in the same way. I could be wrong, but that is my impression. The one bit of wisdom I will pass on from several contractors to whom I've spoken about concrete work is that concrete jobs of any size, and particularly vertical structures like walls, are always best subbed out to a concrete subcontractor that knows what they are doing because it's a rather technical trade. If your "poured wall" form collapses during the pour, you'd be in a world of hurt.

Oops. Meant to say 2x6 (or maybe 2x8). Thanks

Oops. Meant to say 2x6 (or maybe 2x8). And yes. The height is worrying me. I am hiring it out. Thanks