Thread: Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

Default Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

...I can't see where there's basic info on what I actually should give a maintenance coat of varnish to on my Blue Jay...

Preparing for Spring here on an inland lake in Michigan. First Spring with my BlueJay and I want to maintain it right. I'm reading that all brightwork should have a fresh varnish, and if I recall the previous owner said just hit everything lightly with sandpaper and re-coat -- the entire interior of the boat is varnish (see it here of the link works http://simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_7056.jpg) -- Of course Ill do the floorboards, but do I really do the entire interior of the hull, ribs and all? I certainly will do if recommended, but don't want to be silly doing uneccesary work rather than enjoying her!

Thanks!

John D.
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Default Re: Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

Spot varnish any scratched or otherwise damaged areas, then do just that, flat back and re-coat. I do not believe that you can have too many coats of varnish.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

As Nick said, definately touch up any scratches and scrapes. Being the interior of a small daysailer in a freshwater Great Lakes (cooler) environment you can most likely get away with every couple or three years. Keep an eye on it and if it still looks nice and fresh you can probably wait a bit. Most importantly you would want to catch it and give her a fresh coat before things start to slip at all.

Steve Martinsen

Thanks for the tips -- I'm sure looking forward to getting on the water again at the end of the month! (and thanks for putting the photo into the thread too!)
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016