Thread: Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

Default Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

...I can't see where there's basic info on what I actually should give a maintenance coat of varnish to on my Blue Jay...

Preparing for Spring here on an inland lake in Michigan. First Spring with my BlueJay and I want to maintain it right. I'm reading that all brightwork should have a fresh varnish, and if I recall the previous owner said just hit everything lightly with sandpaper and re-coat -- the entire interior of the boat is varnish (see it here of the link works http://simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_7056.jpg) -- Of course Ill do the floorboards, but do I really do the entire interior of the hull, ribs and all? I certainly will do if recommended, but don't want to be silly doing uneccesary work rather than enjoying her!

Thanks!

John D.
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Default Re: Not sure if Maintenance is a technique, but...

Spot varnish any scratched or otherwise damaged areas, then do just that, flat back and re-coat. I do not believe that you can have too many coats of varnish.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

As Nick said, definately touch up any scratches and scrapes. Being the interior of a small daysailer in a freshwater Great Lakes (cooler) environment you can most likely get away with every couple or three years. Keep an eye on it and if it still looks nice and fresh you can probably wait a bit. Most importantly you would want to catch it and give her a fresh coat before things start to slip at all.

Steve Martinsen

Thanks for the tips -- I'm sure looking forward to getting on the water again at the end of the month! (and thanks for putting the photo into the thread too!)
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Struggling mightily to get images to show up here, but here are some links to my freshly varnished floorboards and bilge, and also the splitting/cracking of the deck finish... I'd really like some pointers on what to do with the enameled deck where it's doing this. Even if I stripped the entire deck, the splitting is in the surface veneer of the plywood. Is there something I can do to at least seal the cracks for now to minimize it continuing?

And what caused it in the first place? I've had the boat less than a year -- did I screw it up somehow???

www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8805.jpg
    www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8808.jpg
    www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8809.jpg
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by johnd@simplesevens.org View Post
    Struggling mightily to get images to show up here, but here are some links to my freshly varnished floorboards and bilge, and also the splitting/cracking of the deck finish... I'd really like some pointers on what to do with the enameled deck where it's doing this. Even if I stripped the entire deck, the splitting is in the surface veneer of the plywood. Is there something I can do to at least seal the cracks for now to minimize it continuing?

And what caused it in the first place? I've had the boat less than a year -- did I screw it up somehow???

www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8805.jpg
    www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8808.jpg
    www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8809.jpg
    They are not visible in that photo, can you put up a close-up?
    What sort of ply is the deck built with?
    As a temporary fix I would run some CPES into the cracks, fill with epoxy based filler and repaint. If it happens again, I would consider wooding the deck, sheathing it with cloth set in epoxy and refinishing.

The boat was built by R. Hamann and Sons, Carmel New York about 1961. Decking is 1/4" marine mahogany. The deck is painted with Interlux Enamel, and the previous owner said I should just re-coat it every year, thinned 50/50 with 333 brushing thinner. Thanks for the input :-)

www.simplesevens.org/_bluejay/IMG_8812.jpg
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

I opened your 1st link, right-clicked on the image, chose Copy - came back here, right-clicked & chose Paste. Repeated 2 more times

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

funny thing is I'm a web guy from way back... these forums do some funny things though! Thank you :-) Just now trying to get the lat image up, the one showing the cracking in question...
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Okay, I see how that works, but here's a link to the image because it's larger than the above, and I don't want to hog up any more space than necessary...

http://simplesevens.org/_bluejay/CRACKS.jpg
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

May be because you are using thinned paint, you are not getting enough paint on there.

Flat it down, seal the cracks as I suggested above. Then if you are using Interluix it will need an undercoat/primer to build up the protection, followed by the manufacturers recommended number of top coats. Sounds like your previous owner gave you crappy advice. Always follow the instructions on the tin.

I was thinking that thinning to 50/50 was way too thin. With Interlux Brightsides, I thin the first coat on bare wood about 20%, then 2nd and/or 3rd only enough to get good flow - less than 5% for sure.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

yeah I could be wrong on that ratio - the guy was talking and talking when I went to pick it up, I think I remember most of what he said, but... kinda why I threw that out there to see what the response would be :-)
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016

Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd@simplesevens.org View Post

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

In my experience, plywood (of all stripes) will eventually show those little cracks unless it is covered with f'glass in epoxy. Even the thinnest glass seems to do the trick but epoxy alone will eventually crack.
    Dave

Thanks for the input -- so I'm really curious now, was it just coincidence that I bought the boat, having survived 50+ years, only to have that ply begin to crack now? I store it with a custom "Sunbrella" cover, in green, and wonder if the "hot" Michigan sun is baking it and aggravating the problem?
    John Donohoe
    Blue Jay 2610 since 2016