Thread: Help identify this wood?

Default Help identify this wood?

I've got African mahogany for all the woodwork on my Palmer launch. When it came time to do the seats, I realized I didn't have enough. I was moaning about this to the counter guy at the local lumber yard (which doesn't stock African Mahogany) and he mentioned that he had a piece out back that he'd bought from the same place I'd gotten all mine (which is 90 minutes away). He no longer needed it and was willing to sell it. It was a beautiful piece and would give me all the wood I needed. Lighter in color then what I had, I thought it was just a variation. Cutting it up today, though, I'm thinking it might be something else, but no idea what. It certainly is lighter in color, but also different in grain.
    This picture compares the two. The original African mahogany is on the bottom and the new stuff above. Both have a coat of Daly's Seafin oil to bring out the grain.
    Any ideas?

I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Help identify this wood?

Looks like Honduras mahogany. Go to the Wikipedia page on "Mahogany " the image is quite similar. There can be a lot of variation in both the South American and the African varieties.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 05-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Looks like Honduras mahogany. Go to the Wikipedia page on "Mahogany " the image is quite similar. There can be a lot of variation in both the South American and the African varieties.
    Certainly looks like it. If so, I think I got a bargain for the price I paid. The African that's on the rest of the boat is Khaya.

It could be Utile, or Sapele it's hard to tell from a picture, Sapele is a bit heavier. From here, my money would be on Utile (also called Sipo I used it for the windows in my house. Dimensionally stable and consistent in color etc.)

Definitely not Honduras Mahogany, not even close. Both look like different pieces of what is often sold as African Mahogany, but is not. Real African mahogany is called khaya and is much nicer than these in appearance and structure. Several somewhat different species are felled in the African forest and sold as the same thing. Both Look like gaboon or okoume to me. Another similar African wood is sapele which is also a prettier and higher grade lumber than these. Its easy to make mistakes in labeling woods but IMO these are not any kind of true mahogany.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 05-07-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Tom L

I was thinking the bottom one was Honduras, and the top African, but that was just a gut call.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It could be Utile, or Sapele it's hard to tell from a picture, Sapele is a bit heavier. From here, my money would be on Utile (also called Sipo I used it for the windows in my house. Dimensionally stable and consistent in color etc.)
    This.

The bottom foto looks like a lot of the khaya I've seen. But there's also been a bunch of variation in various khaya stock. The top foto could be any number of things. It could even be khaya. But if you place it right next to the older stock, with only a clear finish - no stain to blend things together - it will not read as the same species.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Two sites that might help:
    Disambiguation:
    http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...s-the-lowdown/
    You can have too many pictures:
    http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...ex.htm#letterM
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Well, whatever it is, it's got nice grain and will look great with varnish.

That upper plank resembles the grain of a Mexican wood called, "Perrotta".
    Jay

I thought the upper piece looked familiar and when I was in the workshop today I dug out this piece of Papua New Guinea Rosewood.

[IMG][/IMG]

For comparison,this is Brazilian mahogany.

[IMG][/IMG]

I think it looks a lot like the original specimen.

Without latin names, we're throwing as much mud into the water as we're filtering out...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Without latin names, we're throwing as much mud into the water as we're filtering out...
    Does this help?
    http://www.monarotimber.com.au/sp_png_rosewood.htm

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Got a latin name for the 'Brazilian Mahogany'?

Yes it helps - for the 'Papau New Guinea Rosewood' or Pterocarpus indicus

And I agree... it 'could' be that. But it could be a lot of things. One of the Shorea's for instance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Got a latin name for the 'Brazilian Mahogany'?

Yes it helps - for the 'Papau New Guinea Rosewood' or Pterocarpus indicus

And I agree... it 'could' be that. But it could be a lot of things. One of the Shorea's for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Brazilian Mahogany from "Mahogany Mixups: the Lowdown" (red link above)
    It’s sold under a variety of common names, including American Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany, Big-Leaf Mahogany, and Brazilian Mahogany. Despite the abundance of common names, they usually all refer to just one species—when in doubt, verify the scientific name: Swietenia macrophylla.

New Guinea Rosewood is also called Narra, a relative of Padauk. Rosewoods are Dalbergia. Flooring manufacturers have the loosest (no) naming conventions.
    http://www.wood-database.com/narra/
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Yes, as the years go by, I find myself having less and less patience for the marketing folks who throw around names that sound familiar, but have no basis in reality. Phillipine Mahogany. Brazilian Cherry. African Mahogany. Etc. Etc. Etc. And common names that vary from locale to locale add to the confusion. So latin names for me... for any serious discussion... if there's any chance of ambiguity.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

For the time being, forget the need for latin. One first needs a wood sample in their hands, or laboratory, in order to make anything but an educated guess.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    For the time being, forget the need for latin. One first needs a wood sample in their hands, or laboratory, in order to make anything but an educated guess.

Jeff
    And how, pray tell, does one manage that on a web forum?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And how, pray tell, does one manage that on a web forum?

With this...

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/c...dfactsheet.php

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    So... you're saying: don't ask us, send a sample to the lab? I'd certainly agree with that. Short of that step - which I predict few will take - speaking about the various species using precise latin terminology is helpful.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

+1

The whole point of asking on a forum is to make an educated guess. The lab is a last resort, even if its existence and address is a small part of the education sought.

Latin names are certainly the best way to avoid confusion, but not everyone is comfortable with systematic nomenclature. Having said that, you will find that the Latin names can change more often than the common names. They can at least be traced back to the previous names. I would say that if you know the systematic name, then you should include it, but if all you have is the common name, it still helps. Spelling helps too; it wasn't easy to translate perrotta to Enterolobium cyclocarpum (parota, guanacaste), but if you haven't seen it in writing in a long time, it was close.

We haven't even discussed the importance of having a good look at the end grain.

"We haven't even discussed the importance of having a good look at the end grain."

You know what you have to do, Rich.
    Steve Martinsen

I can certainly concur that the inclusion of a wood's Latin name is important to convey the guesser's intended wood candidate. However, doing so also implies a degree of identification that is not justified. It's sort of like guessing how many beans there are in a jar: 500 is a good guess. 523 isn't any better of a guess but it appear to be more thought out, and thus, accurate. If the jar of beans is being represented only by means of a photograph, the exercise becomes even more ludicrous.

Jeff

in 1985 i rebuilt the clinker 25 foot thames richmond ferry for the museum of london and it looks like that timber , brazilian mahogany, but im not sure
    Boat Designer

I'd be pretty sure John Meachen is right - it looks a lot like PNG rosewood to me and I've used it a lot. Does it have a distinctive, sweet smell when you cut it?

Rick