Thread: Old wood to the landfill

Default Old wood to the landfill

I live in a 1950's apartments building in Florida. Solid as a rock. Cast iron tubs, hard plaster walls, and hardwood floors. There are twin buildings, each with four apartments. The owner decided to rip out the original kitchen of one of the empty units to "update" it. After the sounds of much sledge hammering and power sawing, a large pile of wonderful old boards appeared on the curb. Sure, some where busted, or had 20 coats of lead paint...but mixed in where some clear, old growth boards. Straight and hard and growth rings jammed one against the next.

I knew the trash trucks wouldn't come for three days, so I planned to go through the pile the next morning. Little did I know the owner had arranged a special pick-up from the city. So with that, all the wonderful wood that had been waiting patiently on me since before I was born, was hauled off to rot in the landfill.

What a waste.

Default Re: Old wood to the landfill

I doubt the owner has any idea. Pity.

Just shows the advantage of talking to a person.

Sometimes if you check it out you discover that the owner had a use in mine, or is getting a sudden case of greed and wants to charge you, but more often you'll be welcome to help reduce his dump fee and, as in this case, you could learn a reason to move a bit faster.

Ah well.

He who hesitates... and that has been me as well. Bummer to lose all that good stuff.