Thread: How to remove Davis Slick Seam

Default How to remove Davis Slick Seam

I made a big mistake by trying to fix two little leaks in the centerboard box of my GP14 with Slick Seam. I slathered the inside of the box with the stuff and that did not stop the leaks so now I'm trying to remove the stuff. Davis says use mineral spirits but that seems to be just just moving the stuff around. I'm using brushes and rags soaked in mineral spirits and the surface is still slick with the stuff. Maybe that is finally getting the stuff into the leak area but I'm too pissed to test it again.

My new plan, once it's clean, is to use penetrating epoxy and then fiberglass and epoxy. The purists among you will be upset but that combo has always worked for me and I was taking the lazy route by trying Slick Seam.

Might the CPES act as a solvent on the stuff? Or am I just digging myself in deeper?

Very frustrating and the weather is 70 with a steady 9mph from the SW and we have ongoing dingy races.

Also, when this is done, how much pressure should be applied to the re-installation of the centerboard bolt? Expect to use 5200.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: How to remove Davis Slick Seam

CPES is not a solvent. Don't try removing anything with it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

5200 is Satans sperm.
    yup, slick seam gets around. Hot water, steam, elbow grease,tsp, ...ugh.

Where exactly is the leak?

I'd also consider putting some Slick Seam on a piece of plywood and then testing out pretty much all the solvents I have in my metal storage closet to see if one broke it down. (I'm curious if linseed and turps would thin it out a bit.) I think the winner would probably be a mix of very hot water and Dawn dish soap.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I'd also consider putting some Slick Seam on a piece of plywood and then testing out pretty much all the solvents I have in my metal storage closet to see if one broke it down. (I'm curious if linseed and turps would thin it out a bit.) I think the winner would probably be a mix of very hot water and Dawn dish soap.
    I would try scrubbing with liquid soap (AKA washing up liquid) and then washing off with hot water. That lets the soap molecules grab the grease better before dissolving in water.
    Can you get Swarfega over there, might be worth a trial.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Steven;

One leak is two inches behind the bolt and the other is 18 inches behind the first.

Both are about 3 inches above the floor which makes them barely below static water level but I'm 200 lbs and sailing partner is 300 lbs so the little boat does settle down.

I believe Slick Seam is a wax. Lots of rags and mineral spirits, like the mfgr. say. I've tried to get wax off a dining room table for refinishing and it is a very fussy process. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Zucker View Post
    Steven;

One leak is two inches behind the bolt and the other is 18 inches behind the first.

Both are about 3 inches above the floor which makes them barely below static water level but I'm 200 lbs and sailing partner is 300 lbs so the little boat does settle down.
    Hmm, I'm not getting it. Behind the bolt but three inches up. So not coming from where the sides of the trunk meet the hull? Do you have a camera?

Gasoline.

Avoid smoking until the job is finished.

Thanks All.

I just tried spray engine degreaser GUNK brand and it softened the stuff up so that when I spayed the sun-heated garden hose into the box most of it came right out the bottom. Then I swabbed the box out with socks on a piece of rebar and picked up what i hope was the rest.

Now I'm sanding both sides with an extender on my drill and will proceed to CPES and epoxy and one layer of 8.5 glass. Part of the challenge has been that the box is only 1+1/4 inch wide. Maybe Goo-Off would have worked but spraying the degreaser was easy.

Thanks again to All.

Power washer if you can get the stream on it. Of course, that runs the risk of gouging wood.
    Chuck Thompson