Thread: Free Hull!

Default Free Hull!

A neighbor has this old fiberglass hull laying around and wants to get rid of it. It was left behind by the previous owner of the property, so he doesn't know anything about it.

It's fiberglass, so forgive me for posting about it here, but if I try and fix it up, all the rest will be wood!

Any clue what the heck it is? I was thinking it looks more like a sailboat, but it has no slot for a dagger board or centerboard, and it never had a leeboard. The guy says it did used to have something like the remains of a rudder hanging off the back, which makes me think "sailboat", but I don't see what it used for lateral resistance.

Is this hulk worth trying to save?

Default Re: Free Hull!

11 strakes, fairly well laid out, rubrail will keep the lines unlike many, similar to a Minto but not exactly the same. Maybe could have better curvature at the tuckup, but all things considered - not a bad little form.
    If it was me, it'd be some work but a keeper.
    bcmarinetrails.org - an attempt, by volunteers, to protect and enable 27,000 km of continuous camping and accesses along and around the whole Wild West Coast of British Columbia - for small beachable craft

I agree. I'd clean it up, fit it out with a scuppered wale structure, some thwarts and use it for a tender, rowing, fishing, or simply messing about.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Perhaps there is a hull identification number on the stern quarter.

http://www.boatsafe.com/links/index.htm

http://uscgboating.org/content/manuf...tification.php

I have a similar vessel here that's available at same price.

I like it !
    how long is it ??

Looks like a sweet shape for a rowing tender.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

I also think it has a pleasing shape and would finish her off nicely as a rowing tender. I'm willing to venture that she 'wasn't anything' before. She looks quite like she has never been finished in the first place. You would need to start by completely replacing the transom (replacing the plywood, the glass on the outside stays intact during the process.)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Nice skiff. Don't destroy her!

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I have a similar vessel here that's available at same price.
    If you were nearby I would love it. Projects like that are great fun.

Gig Harbor Boatworks does a series of boats 8 to 17 ft. The smaller ones look very much like your sample, except for their molded interiors.

David

Thanks for the replies. I don't know her length, I didn't measure it yet, perhaps 12 feet?

I see the remains of epoxy tabs inside where a floor may have been fitted, but nothing to indicate thwarts. I was thinking that maybe it was an unfinished hull too, but who knows?

Would this craft be suitable for a small outboard?
    I'll see if perhaps i can turn it into a row boat at some point down the line.

When the time comes I'll be sure to ask for pointers!

Hard to know if she was ever finished off. Do you see fastener holes along the shearline that would suggest there had been some wale structure installed? A breasthook?

Certainly she's a nice looking hull, with real potential. You could fit an outboard. She's a bit on the tubby side, so that would maybe help support the weight of an outboard. But - with that much rocker aft - a very small outboard, I'd think. She looks more like a sailing/rowing hull shape. And more sailing than rowing. But I think you could row her enjoyably.

She needs a new transom, for sure. And a slightly beefed up one if you plan on an outboard. I'd put in a scuppered wale structure for stiffness, a breashook and knees, and seat risers and thwarts. By then, she'd be tightened right up.

I have a similar project waiting in the wings - for my personal use. Slimmer, and 13.5' Most of the wood, excepting the floorboards and thwarts, is no longer sound. But no transom replacement required, methinks --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Would this craft be suitable for a small outboard?
    A small two horse, or maybe four-hp OB used at half throttle, will deliver a 4 knot, putt-putt of a boat. Its not a suitable type for zipping around in.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

anything like these?

But - with that much rocker aft - a very small outboard, I'd think. She looks more like a sailing/rowing hull shape. And more sailing than rowing. But I think you could row her enjoyably.
    David,

Do you think she would make a decent little sail boat without a centerboard?

That's what confused me - I figured if she was ever a sailboat it would have been fitted with some sort of dagger board or centerboard, and there certainly isn't a slot cut for such. To me I thought she looked a bit big and ah, fat, to be used with only oars, which is why I asked about the possibility of a small motor.

The current owner had thought about fixing it up for use with a motor, as he's a fisherman that likes to troll. I took one look at her and initially thought "Sailboat!"
    It certainly isn't the kind of boat to push fast with a big motor.

Well... the typical thing to do - if you were wanting to use her has a sailboat - would be to add a centerboard or daggerboard trunk. Which... would depend partly on what % you imagine her being sailed/rowed/powered. But if she's gonna go to windward at all... or be a serious sailboat at all... she'll need foils.

The less typical option - and this boat appears as if it might lend itself to such - is to do a clip-on leeboard. I've done such an arrangement, and was happy with it. Keeps the center of a small boat open in a happy way. Takes a bit more tending, and it must be yanked off on one gunwale and clipped onto the opposite one at each tack. Ideally. In theory. I sometimes get lazy, and don't. But I also busted a cheap prototype board by failing to. Of course I was out in far worse conditions than I should have been. And, my hull had NO inherent lateral resistance. Unlike yours which at least has a skosh.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    David,

Do you think she would make a decent little sail boat without a centerboard?

That's what confused me - I figured if she was ever a sailboat it would have been fitted with some sort of dagger board or centerboard, and there certainly isn't a slot cut for such. To me I thought she looked a bit big and ah, fat, to be used with only oars, which is why I asked about the possibility of a small motor.

The current owner had thought about fixing it up for use with a motor, as he's a fisherman that likes to troll. I took one look at her and initially thought "Sailboat!"
    It certainly isn't the kind of boat to push fast with a big motor.
    You could bolt a wooden keel to the bottom of the glass keel moulding, going the traditional work boat route.
    A welsh fishing boat from Tenby was built that way. They were flat floored clinker hulls with a deepish full length keel bolted on under the structural keel.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    You could bolt a wooden keel to the bottom of the glass keel moulding, going the traditional work boat route.
    A welsh fishing boat from Tenby was built that way. They were flat floored clinker hulls with a deepish full length keel bolted on under the structural keel.
    That would work. I hate it! <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Arr, I had to look up "Scuppered wale structure", it being a bit of Boat Code over me head.
    Spaced inwales I get. I'm just finishing up my first attempt at it while rebuilding an old canoe.
    I've learned that one can never, ever have enough clamps!

That boat reminds me of a dinghy that was designed by Lyle Hess during the time Larry and Linny were building their first boat. The dinghy was called,
    "Fatty Knees" and has been a very popular design and was available in several lengths. I think Pardeys called theirs "Rinky Dink".
    Jay
    http://newenglandboating.com/video-f...s-sails-again/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-09-2017 at 02:38 PM.

She's a nice shape. Pics can be deceiving, but she looks to have a moderate transom with a fairly slack bilge aft which would point towards a primary use as a pulling boat. At 12ft, typically she might be about 4ft wide. If she's towards 5ft wide then she will sail better and be a displacement sailboat that also rows well without transom drag. That would also mean she would move nicely with a low power outboard with your weight forward.

I'd also look at the keel. Typically a traditional pullingboat will have a an almost straight keel down to a small keel aft for tracking straight. Also less rocker forward with a more immersed stem. But used as a sailboat this will make her slow to tack, so you would need to get your weight forward in the boat to lift the keel our of the water a bit to help. You would also need a relatively big rudder planform, pssibly not necessarily high aspect for slow speed turning and of a fat section to keep the flow laminar at high rudder angles if your trying to get it to turn. If she has a few inces of rocker fore and aft then she's more sail boat orientated for better turning.

That bit of keel 'missing' aft at the stern, was built like that to make it not catch on the bottom when launched off a trolley.

Depending on her dimensions, if she's similar to an acorn 12 or a Tammie Norrie 13, you might be able to take construction details and sail plans from a set of plans for one of those boats.

Getting anything to 'stick' to that molding will be tricky, i'd through bolt the seat risers for example. That's our experience fitting out an 8ft grp tender moulding some years back (dylan's green tender): mechanically fastening pieces to the grp mold is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    She's a nice shape. Pics can be deceiving, but she looks to have a moderate transom with a fairly slack bilge aft which would point towards a primary use as a pulling boat. At 12ft, typically she might be about 4ft wide. If she's towards 5ft wide then she will sail better and be a displacement sailboat that also rows well without transom drag. That would also mean she would move nicely with a low power outboard with your weight forward.

I'd also look at the keel. Typically a traditional pullingboat will have a an almost straight keel down to a small keel aft for tracking straight. Also less rocker forward with a more immersed stem. But used as a sailboat this will make her slow to tack, so you would need to get your weight forward in the boat to lift the keel our of the water a bit to help. You would also need a relatively big rudder planform, pssibly not necessarily high aspect for slow speed turning and of a fat section to keep the flow laminar at high rudder angles if your trying to get it to turn. If she has a few inces of rocker fore and aft then she's more sail boat orientated for better turning.

That bit of keel 'missing' aft at the stern, was built like that to make it not catch on the bottom when launched off a trolley.

Depending on her dimensions, if she's similar to an acorn 12 or a Tammie Norrie 13, you might be able to take construction details and sail plans from a set of plans for one of those boats.

Getting anything to 'stick' to that molding will be tricky, i'd through bolt the seat risers for example. That's our experience fitting out an 8ft grp tender moulding some years back (dylan's green tender): mechanically fastening pieces to the grp mold is necessary.
    Epoxy should stick. Lloyds specifies epoxy for repairing GRP. Abrade it well clean first.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I know it should stick...ours was a newer molding rather than that old one that will have fully gone off, our risers detatched at the epoxy, grp interface. Just sayin, I'd through bolt them, not just glue. Maybe we were unlucky, perhaps as a pulling boat the hull was less 'stiff' too, so there was more movement.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Not a Fatty Knees but the way the Fatty Knees builder has arranged thwarts and the daggerboard could be a way to go. See photo gallery here: http://www.fattyknees.com/gallery.html
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Regardless of who designed it, I see it as well worth saving!
    Jay

Funny, it looks more like a mould than a hull to me......could it be?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Funny, it looks more like a mould than a hull to me......could it be?
    I've only been around production fiberglass boat mfg a bit... but I don't see it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Looks more like a hull than a mold to me. Molds are shiny in the inside!

Incidently, have you checked the prices of a Fatty Knees bare hull? Several grand just for starters! And they come in three delicious sizes! With a bit of effort and TLC, that hull you have can be a winner!
    Jay

Finally got around to measuring the hull. She's 11 feet by 4, and definitely had a rudder and wales installed at one point.
    Must have used a clip on leeboard? No indication of anything else. I think I'll make her my fall project!

After looking at this so many times, I figure I'll put my 2 cents in. Looks like this was laid up to be a plug, or maybe a part but then forgotten, it has never had any of the interior done, no seats or deck. No matter how small it would have had a deck. The dagger board case, seats and flotation tanks would have been glassed in after coming out of the mold which looks like it never happened.
    It does have nice lines and looks like it would sail or row well. Fun Project!
    ShorelineJohn

John, I have the same problem - If it was a boat, where's the dagger board case? No slots in the bottom. I've never heard of a production fiberglass boat with a clip on lee board.

But, the owner told me that it did at one time have the rotten remains of a rudder assembly, oarlocks and so forth, which they threw away. To which I reacted "What! You threw the stuff away! Oarlocks and pintles and guidons oh my! But I kept my mouth shut, they are giving me the hull, after all -

There are holes here and there, and slight remains of resin lumps which may have secured a floor.
    Probably was a boat, but how long does it take for the insides to completely rot away like that? It will likely remain a mystery.
    The previous owner of the property was one shady character, and left behind piles of trash and junk cars. I suspect many of the cars were stolen. No telling how he came by that boat.