Thread: Atkin's Hearts Desire

Default Atkin's Hearts Desire

Can't find any info on any being built...
    Not to be confused with the sailboat Hearts Desire 2.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilit...rtsDesire.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Atkin's Hearts Desire

I've never seen one. And since there is no foto linked on the web page... that means that neither Pat Atkin, nor John K - that tireless chronicler of all things nautical and arcane - have come across any. But to be sure, if you're serious, drop a note to Pat Atkin to see if she has memory or record of any builds.
    Last edited by David G; 05-04-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Good idea I ordered there catalogue not too long ago so I gave her email. I will fire one off.

I still have a "little" bit of work to do on my ilur then maybe I will tackle this one...

Tom Davin also a nice flat bottom skiff by Atkin. He really drew some efficient beautiful boats.

I've always liked the Russel R, flat bottomed, long and narrow. And its been built, too
    The outboard motor will be installed under the hatch in the afterdeck. My feeling is that a motor of about 12 h.p. is large enough for Russell R. The speed with this size unit will be a good 17 m.p.h. The motor will be installed in an open well. This, as shown on the construction plans, extends through the stern.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I like Russell R too. A lot. The outboard in a well would be a lot easier and cheaper than an inboard installation too. But Russell R is a lightweight boat with good speed with low power. If you put a cabin and more than "camp cruising" accommodations in one it'd spoil her.

Heart's Desire is a plodder. There's nothing wrong with plodders. I love my Redwing 18 that cruises at a little over 5 knots. "Stick to the little motors recommended. Your way will be filled with comfort then. Don't expect anything over 8 miles an hour; that's the plugging kind of speed that brings solace to the heart, keeps money in the pocket, and keeps yachtsmen in the game." A boat like Heart's Desire also won't mind much if you add some weight with luxury accommodations, or take a bunch of friend along. A nice kind of boat.

Heart's Desire is a fairly old design, first appearing in a MoToR BoatinG Ideal compilation in 1934, but Billy Atkin had designed plenty of flat-bottom boats before then, and his newer flat-bottom designs aren't much different. Heart's Desire is a pretty simple and tolerant sort of design. I expect that if the OP builds one it'll turn out to be a Good Boat. For someone who likes going along at sailboat speeds anyway.

One problem is that there aren't any gasoline marine engines like they made in the '30s; slow turning, low-stress motors that don't need a reduction gear to turn a decent propeller. You really can't find a small gas inboard at all. The small diesels are all high-speed engines that need a reduction gear so, due to the power loss in the gears, a small diesel of the same hp. rating Atkin recommends likely won't push the boat as fast as the old motors would. You'll want to mount a diesel on flexible mounts, and make an insulated motor box to contain the racket.

I hope the OP builds a Heart's Desire. I'd love to see one on the water. If he's in the NW maybe he and my redwing can have a race.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I've always liked the Russel R, flat bottomed, long and narrow. And its been built, too

John's Redwing... just so you know what you'd be up against... <G>

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'd say do it. I like the Russel R. too, even hae plans for it, might build it if I live lone enough.

I have pondered Heart's Desire for electric power. Her top would make a great base for a sizeable solar array. Battery bank and electric notor under the hatch. Perhaps a small gas genset carried,"just in case," to ensure get home power.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I have pondered Heart's Desire for electric power. Her top would make a great base for a sizeable solar array. Battery bank and electric notor under the hatch. Perhaps a small gas genset carried,"just in case," to ensure get home power.

Kevin

I was thinking this for power
    http://www.betamarinenc.com/engine/beta-14-z482/

Quote Originally Posted by John Kohnen View Post
    ... Russell R is a lightweight boat with good speed with low power. If you put a cabin and more than "camp cruising" accommodations in one it'd spoil her...
    Agreed.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

There is a thread on SOS (save our seagulls) where a group of Aussies built several Russells and made an extensive trip on the Murray river in Australia. Very interesting thread and a fun time for the participants. Of course they were all powered by the universally loathed Seagulls. Most boats carried one or two replacements. Here is a link: http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk...pic.php?t=5065

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    There is a thread on SOS (save our seagulls) where a group of Aussies built several Russells and made an extensive trip on the Murray river in Australia. Very interesting thread and a fun time for the participants. Of course they were all powered by the universally loathed Seagulls. Most boats carried one or two replacements. Here is a link: http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk...pic.php?t=5065
    Looked like a plywood hull. Quite a practical economical river boat.

I don't think Atkin called out Heart's Desire as a design that could be built in plywood. But they do have a sprinkling that can be. Maybe even some in that size range.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Good choice. Look at the performance curves for that Beta:

http://www.betamarinenc.com/wp-conte...A-14-Graph.pdf

I'll bet a Heart's Desire would go along at cruising speed with the engine turning 1,200-1,600 rpm., producing 4-6 hp. Not an unpleasant engine speed, especially if you do something to contain the noisy and vibratory nature of a diesel (nothing you can do about the stink). Look at the fuel consumption at that engine speed -- about a quart an hour! Go much faster and the fuel consumption goes up, along with the noise and the fuss. Boats like Heart's Desire like to loaf along. It's a good idea to use a little bit bigger engine than you need, if you can afford it, so you can run it slow and easy at cruising speed, but don't expect much of any "improvement" in top speed, the extra power will mostly just make more fuss.

That Beta is probably a marinized Kubota engine. They're real good engines; they've been making small diesels for a long, long time. I had an encounter with a commercial fisherman the other day that resulted in a long jawing session (don't ask...). He mentioned that Kubotas are now the most popular choice for auxiliary engines (generator, refrigeration). Beta is well thought of marinizer, and you pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilur View Post

Heart's Desire is designed for "real" wood construction, cross-planked bottom and lapstrake sides. Nowadays you'd want a plywood bottom, at least, for living on a trailer. I'd lay the sheets cross-wise, with no change in the framing. The plans call for 7/8" white cedar for the bottom. 5/8-3/4" plywood should do the job. Heart's Desire is built heavy, so no need to skimp here -- my Redwing, Lazy Jack, has a nominal 1" thick bottom. The sides are supposed to be 5/8" white cedar. 1/2" plywood would serve; no need to worry about the weight. Sheets of plywood might have a tough time conforming to the sharp forefoot and flared sheer at the bow, but plywood lapstrake would work fine, and look good. Converting Heart's Desire to plywood construction would be trivial.

Would build trad with a plywood bottom if I did it. Extra hp would be nice just in case current or wind in getting home. Ordered plans today. Pat Atkin said she does not have a picture of one...

A buddy of mine called beta marine and it is around $7,000 USD for the 14. About what I would suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by ilur View Post
    A buddy of mine called beta marine and it is around $7,000 USD for the 14. About what I would suspect.

Got the plans! Nice.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Reviving an old thread...I also have the Heart's Desire plans and am interested in it as a relatively simple, inexpensive, and modest little day boat and overnighter. I was thinking about how to keep the same look and lines but add glazing and an aft bulkhead to the house to make it a proper enclosed house. How best to do that without ruining the lines and look of the house is the question. Anyone have any ideas or examples? Thanks!
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

My boat's a few feet longer than Heart's desire, but not a totally different idea. The previous owners put a canvass cover on that might be a good compromise for you as well. The cover slides in a track along the aft end of the house, and then either hangs vertically to keep the heat in the house, or snaps around the coaming as shown below to shed rain. It's easy on and off, and stores forward without much fuss.

Heart's desire has pretty short head room, so in my mind, closing in the cabin would feel very claustrophobic.

IMG_20170507_150055.jpg

Here's a rough sketch of what Heart's Desire could look like with the same size house but enclosed and with an outside standing helm station.

hearts desire enclosed low house.png
    Matthew Long

I think, given the size of the cabin, that most trips will be short ( or the crew hardy). In either case, canvas will serve fine, be lighter, and provide the advantage of being removable so as to open the boat up in fine weather.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. If I understand correctly, you're suggesting canvas curtains all around the U-shaped arc of the house top as well as the rear bulkhead? I suppose that could work, but maybe a compromise could be to use anti-reflective polycarbonate sheets to form one-piece windows for the three side windows each side, with the front two windows hinged to open for ventilation in warm weather. The rear of the cabin could be left open with a canvas end to roll down only when needed.

On a separate note, the very low power specified (6-8 hp inboard) just begs for conversion to a four-stroke 9.9 hp outboard in a well which would eliminate the engine box and open up the layout quite a bit. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I think, given the size of the cabin, that most trips will be short ( or the crew hardy). In either case, canvas will serve fine, be lighter, and provide the advantage of being removable so as to open the boat up in fine weather.
    Matthew Long

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    Lukes, what is this boat?

Jeff

Jeff,

She's a Columbia river gillnetter with a forward cabin. I think she would have been a bow picker originally, but her history is a bit murky. Here's a link to her thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t-Lobster-Boat