Thread: Cutting close quarters gains with an off-set base router.

Default Cutting close quarters gains with an off-set base router.

The cabin house on my 1961 Alden Challenger (Alden's first fiberglass hull and deck) showed water damage on the forward face from since I've owned the boat (17 years). The damage occurred from water intrusion at the fiberglass deck to cabin trunk joint.

An odd joint: Fiberglass deck to wood cabin trunk. I've successfully made it dry ( http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...bin+deck+joint ), thanks to the advice of a wooden boat friend.

In wooding the house this spring, I decided to repair the damage.

Set up - first cut: The primary fence (upper piece of pine) is screwed to the house. Another pine fence is clamped below, to give added support to the router base. Stops are added to the end clamps, to limit the router cut short of the corner posts.

The router is screwed to a scrap fence(white-looks like a cribbage board).

Second cut: The lower pine fence is now removed (router base stable) after the first cut. First cut goes 1/4" - down - into the new fiberglass/cabin deck joint. The gain is 3/16" deep(made in 2-3 passes lowering cutter).

Finally, the router base is raised 5/8" to then next set of holes in the 'cribbage board' fence, for the second cut. 3/4" cutter - 5/8" spacing, get it?

And so it goes,... This jig enabled me to get above the damage with just one set of the fence. That leaves one set of screw holes to fill, minor damage to this piece that shows battle scars of 56 years. I'm a restorationist, I rather like the scars and saving the old piece.

For the filler piece, in building a new cockpit last season, I saved the cockpit well planks, with this repair in mind. Same age mahogany. Working under a cover (I store outside) is challenging. I made one trip to the table saw (at my shop), cut and planed it to fit on deck(not so tight it wouldn't bottom easily), and using West Six-10 epoxy (convenient), 'clamped' the piece -full squeeze out all around - with temporary screws. Whoops: make that 7 screw holes to fill.

Under a cover on the coast of Maine, it can take a long time for epoxy to dry. But it finally does and the patch gets rough planed, ready for sanding with 80 grit paper before applying a filler stain.

I'm pleased. Despite the addition of gratuitous plugs on the ends (in line with upper original plugs), anyone can see the 'new' wood. But other dutchman patches I added shortly after owning the boat, stand out more. Compared to the permanent black stains (I've lived with), this is an improvement.

Default Re: Cutting close quarters gains with an off-set base router.

Good work! Nice job!

Well done!

The router repairs, before and after.