Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Failing NY Times

Default Re: The Failing NY Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    HEY!

That is where I was born and raised. The Cuyahoga River Valley is beautiful, by the way.
    Sorry I'm just another Coastal Liberal Elite Snowflake
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Their tactic of attributing to the Left, what has always been typical of the Right, is a childish, very telling tactic.
    And it has worked remarkably well. Check out the name of the Senate health care bill.

Right-wing nuts cannot get over the fact that reality has a liberal bias. So they hope to kill all the messengers leaving only the propagandists.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Right-wing nuts cannot get over the fact that reality has a liberal bias. So they hope to kill all the messengers leaving only the propagandists.
    Speaking of propagandists, Kelly Ann Conway (sp?) was on the morning talk show today. I had to mute the TV. Once she's asked a question she never stops talking. That way the moderator cannot tell her she's untruthful.

When I lived in town, I'd saunter down to the coffeeshop of a Sunday morn and buy the enormous Sunday Times and a double Americano (known in NZ as a Long Black). Then I'd distribute various sections and we'd swap them around until everyone had read all they wanted. Then I'd reassemble it in good order and leave it on the counter.

For the last 16 years, I've lived way out of town, about 50k/30 mi. The Wolf Goddess could get free copies of the Times at the law school on days she taught, but they didn't deliver on weekends, and we accumulated enormous heaps of unread newsprint. So I got a digital sub and now read it on the iPad, which is nice. Quick updates, many links, videos, interactive graphics: an excellent bargain for accurate news and interesting features.

Failing? A base canard. Certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

Fox News is another story, flailing if not failing, with ugly talking heads getting lopped off as Uncle Rupie tries to drain his personal swamp to ooze past the UK regulators on 'fit and proper."
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Fox News is another story, flailing if not failing, with ugly talking heads getting lopped off as Uncle Rupie tries to drain his personal swamp to ooze past the UK regulators on 'fit and proper."
    I enjoyed Fox News the other week. They were bending over backwards to deny the latest Trump story and then Trump tweeted that it was true! What a hoot!

Meanwhile at the TRUMP TOWER OF BABBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Meanwhile at the TRUMP TOWER OF BABBLE.

This belongs in the " Old man's brain" thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    This belongs in the " Old man's brain" thread...
    He's a one trick pony to be sure.

Default The Failing NY Times

Much of the Times growth results from print subscribers adding to, or swapping for, digital subscription. So it's not all pure growth, just change.

Second, ad blocking technology continues to grow in use. Regardless of the number of subs a publication signs up, if they can't serve them ads, they can't make any money ( it can, in fact , end up costing money.)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 06-25-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

OK I don't know if we are all capable of having this type of conversation yet. But lets try.

What is wrong with intelligent, in depth, award winning reporting ? Personally I'm flattered to be called a coastal, liberal elite, that values intelligence, resources like the NYT, NPR & the BBC. What's the Alt-right alternative? Rasmussen polls, Fox & Friends, NY Post, Breitbart, SCROTUS tweets ?

I never get this whole anti-intellectualism that flyover states proclaim. It's like saying hey we're stupid and we won, so we don't care how smart you are. Why would anyone want to be proud of their stupidity ? Duh Bring back coal jobs, Make America Great Again ? Maddeningly stupid, and they are PROUD of it.
    You sure aren't gonna have a conversation with folks who don't live on the coasts when you call 'em "flyover states" & "worthless". Sorry Joe - but statements like these make you come across as a complete @$$h&@*. I know you're not - but haven't you learned that starting off a conversation with "Jane you ignorant slut..." is not a good way to have the conversation be productive?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Are you guys confusing being tough on Trump with reporting the news?

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I would point out that the original post is about dramatically increasing subscribers.

Our resident red's post is about a modest number of buyouts of senior staffers. Ya gotta have some big $$$$ to buy those folks their retirement.

MAJOR FAIL. AGAIN!

Rockin' the Celebration of Being Stupid.

LMAO
    Deaf, blind but not mute. It's a perfect condition from which to impress peers and colleagues.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Lets review.
    From 2008 to 2016 Revenue has dropped 47% and the number of Employees has dropped 60%

year Revenue Revenue Drop employees Employee Drop
    2008 2.948 9,346
    2016 1.555 47% 3710 60%

Ref
    http://investors.nytco.com/investors...x?LanguageId=1

Well I bought a chunk of NYT right after the inauguration. It's up over 11% so far.

I never get this whole anti-intellectualism that flyover states proclaim. It's like saying hey we're stupid and we won, so we don't care how smart you are. Why would anyone want to be proud of their stupidity ? Duh Bring back coal jobs, Make America Great Again ? Maddeningly stupid, and they are PROUD of it.

And the preceding reminded me of a quote I once heard. "My diddy (sic) told me not to get smart, and I never did."
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Well I bought a chunk of NYT right after the inauguration. It's up over 11% so far.

And the preceding reminded me of a quote I once heard. "My diddy (sic) told me not to get smart, and I never did."
    Good for you your timing was good.

The stock price for the New York Times has gone from $50 in 2004 to about $4 in 2009.
    A drop of -84%.

Since 2009 the stock has moved up to about $18 today.
    So a move back up from $4 to $18 looks good but it is still down -64% from the $50.

Nespresso?

yucko. you can get real coffee in the northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Good for you your timing was good.

The stock price for the New York Times has gone from $50 in 2004 to about $4 in 2009.
    A drop of -84%.

Since 2009 the stock has moved up to about $18 today.
    So a move back up from $4 to $18 looks good but it is still down -64% from the $50.
    Cue the Graphs Wizard..... we need a plot of this vs the general trend in print advertising revenue, STAT!
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I burned through my 10 free articles per month in the NY Times rather quickly in May and June. That should tell something, if only on an anecdotal basis, not withstanding that their ads are much less obnoxious than some other websites. I'm thinking about subscribing.
    Will

Default The Failing NY Times

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Cue the Graphs Wizard..... we need a plot of this vs the general trend in print advertising revenue, STAT!

Grab a parachute.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/12/05/nyt-trump-bump/%3Fsource%3Ddam

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 06-26-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A little update from 6/29/17

Title: New York Times Employees Walk Out As Layoffs Loom
    Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02734df30a8eb

It's not an update from the end of June. It's that there's been no news I could find in the month since this bated breath breaking news. News, especially news that's actually fact checked and that publishes an errata section, is expensive. All papers, both good and bad, are facing this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    A little update from 6/29/17

Title: New York Times Employees Walk Out As Layoffs Loom
    Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02734df30a8eb
    So I'm curious you and Donald Trump would like to see the New York Times fail, I'm just curious what kind of Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper would you like to see not fail????

So I'm curious you and Donald Trump would like to see the New York Times fail, I'm just curious what kind of Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper would you like to see not fail????
    One that loves Trump & believes everything he says. Oh wait - there aren't any prize-winning papers that fit that bill? Back to the National Enquirer then.

Market forces, baby. Ignorance and innuendo sell better than facts, and profitability is the only rubric for "winning" that matters to some. News is entertainment, after all. Why should it not be flung into the same type of comparison which pits Honey Boo Boo against Masterpiece Theater?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    CHART OF THE DAY: Why The Newspaper Industry Collapsed

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Why is 'Politically Approved' speech better than 'Politically Correct' speech?

It is not better, it just signifies that the Democratic Party is not a 'political organization', or so Will Rogers would say.

It is time to tell it like it is:

1) The Republican Party has been overtly advocating for the obliteration of our Constitution for DECADES.

2) The Republican Party has been both brazenly AND systematically eradicating the Voting Rights Act for DECADES.

3) The Republican Party has been assiduously crippling the Judicial Branch for DECADES.

They say they want the rule of men and of the laws of Jesus Christ.

They say that a man who works for a living should pay twice the taxes of the man he's makin' rich.

They say that they have so little self-respect that they do not CARE that a fellow citizen will die a preventable death.

THEY ARE NOT KIDDING, and Donald Trump is the personification of the wretch the 'Grand Old Party' has become.

Once again, THEY ARE NOT KIDDING, so it is time to start telling it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    It is not better, it just signifies that the Democratic Party is not a 'political organization', or so Will Rogers would say.

It is time to tell it like it is:

1) The Republican Party has been overtly advocating for the obliteration of our Constitution for DECADES.

2) The Republican Party has been both brazenly AND systematically eradicating the Voting Rights Act for DECADES.

3) The Republican Party has been assiduously crippling the Judicial Branch for DECADES.

They say they want the rule of men and of the laws of Jesus Christ.

They say that a man who works for a living should pay twice the taxes of the man he's makin' rich.

They say that they have so little self-respect that they do not CARE that a fellow citizen will die a preventable death.

THEY ARE NOT KIDDING, and Donald Trump is the personification of the wretch the 'Grand Old Party' has become.

Once again, THEY ARE NOT KIDDING, so it is time to start telling it like it is.
    Did you used to play center for the football team? You seem to see things upside down.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Did you used to play center for the football team? You seem to see things upside down.
    Nope - he spelled it out quite accurately. If anything, rather plainly & zero exaggeration I could see. This really is how anyone who truly cares about the US & the Constitution sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    You seem to see things upside down.
    This continues to fascinate me - how hard line right supporters see the same thing so diametrically differently. Infact you could say, they seem to see things completely upside down.
    The only difference is when the right wing try to explain themselves, they get lost down rabbit holes of digression and conflation.

I feel there's something in this 'blind spot for observable facts' that is at the essence of why people are conservative.

Is it a fear of change - really deep rooted terror of anything different (muslims, people of colour, healthcare)?
    It sometimes appears to be an intolerance for complex ideas that can't be summed up in a catch phrase - coupled with a deep distrust of anyone who does seem to be able to grasp them (must be a conspiracy between all of the major scientific bodies in the world, and China).
    Is it a world view that says our world is the centre of the Universe and we are the summit - and then a complete inability to reconcile facts with lived experience (conflation and digression)?

Thing is, to master scientific inquiry, physics or evolution(!) takes years of hard work and study. But you can explain the basic story of any of the worlds religions within the attention span of most people - say 30 mins. To me that seems to be about having the intellectual maturity to see things, or discover things, as they demonstrably are, over how we would wish they were.
    Conservatives seem to aspire to a world they wished they could have, rather than one that is achievable. Which is a twist, because Conservatives always think of themselves as the sensible ones.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    This continues to fascinate me - how hard line right supporters see the same thing so diametrically differently.
    Wow - came across this completely by accident; https://independentaustralia.net/pol...different,5775

they’re not really mean and insensitive, it’s just their amygdalae talking

My wife did part of her PhD with Geraint Rees, the senior author on the paper and one of the top men in the field. He's Dean at UCL, world's 7th best uni on some rankings and attended Oxford and Cambridge. He's a very smart and well qualified man but the conservatives here will probably sneer at his science because it suits their agenda.

And notice the third name on the paper? Yep, it's THE Colin Firth; Geraint gave him a credit because he and Colin met at a party and Colin asked the question that prompted the paper. On the trivial side it means that my wife is now about 4 degrees of separation or less from everyone in Hollywood!
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-02-2017 at 08:04 AM.

That's a very interesting paper, which raises some interesting follow-up questions. The notion that in general, folks tend to be "liberal" in youth and become more "conservative" as they age is so widespread that a conventional quotation about it ("A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head") has been attributed in variations to pretty much anyone who's been quotable back to the time of the French Revolution and before.

It turns out that age is a very good predictor of voting behaviour - longitudinal voting studies in the UK have found that yes indeed, the best predictor of voting for a Conservative or Liberal politician ... is age. It's been boringly predictable that people over 70 are about twice as likely to vote Conservative as people in their 20s. There are striking examples in the other direction, of course, whether of senior citizens who have become remarkably Liberal or young people who are vehemently Conservative. But the trends have been stable in the British Election Study data since at least 1964.

The question is why. Some suggest that it isn't so much aging, as the sociological context of different generations. That while the voting studies have been going on, the world which older folks have lived through in the 50 years that the study has occurred has fairly uniformly beaten their Liberalism out of them - but other generations who live through other times could perhaps remain as Liberal as ever. Other studies suggest that with aging, people tend to become less intellectually curious. A lifetime of experience tends to make one's opinions become more concrete, as you've examined various alternatives and found them unsustainable. And that it's this solidifying of opinions, this reduced willingness to yet again consider a new shiny alternative when all the previous ones have fallen short ... which is expressed in conservatism.

What this study into brain structure makes me wonder, though, is whether folks have looked at the typical pattern of change in brain structure as one ages. Maybe younger people have bigger anterior cingulate cortices, and that part of the physiology of aging is that the cortex shrinks a bit, and the right amygdala enlarges. Maybe normal patterns of brain structure aging across one's lifetime can be associated with age-related political conservatism. Whether because as opinions firm up, the thinking changes brain structure - or because normal physiological brain structure aging prompts ideological shifts. Either could be causal.

But first, it would be very interesting to see if the anterior cingulate cortex / right amygdala differences that the study observed in young Liberals/Conservatives replicate in demographic strata, in the proportions which would align with the age-associated voting preferences the British Election Study documents.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The daughter's boyfriend's father is bucking the trend. Grandfather was Conservative MLA, then Premier, then Senator. Father was Conservative party member, then organizer, then speechwriter. Then the Progressive Conservatives were overrun by the Reform Party/Canadian Alliance and Stephen Harper became Prime Minister. Rob is now an ardent supporter of, and organizer for, Justin Trudeau. Go figure, eh?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.