Thread: Fairing / Longboarding

Default Fairing / Longboarding

After last year's refastening, Bucephalus's topsides are a bit less than fair (okay, she looks a bit like a golfball). I'm not going to fuss with her further this spring, since I want to give her another year to really swell properly, but I'm thinking ahead to the autumn or next spring. Could someone with a WoodenBoat Magazine index point me toward any good articles on fairing and/or longboarding a small, caravel-planked hull?

Thanks,
    Alex

Default Re: Fairing / Longboarding

Thank you, jackster. Some good info there.

I know I've seen info in WB, too, including ideas on how to use power tools to make the job (a little) less awful. I'd love to know which issues those articles are in, if anyone has an index.

Alex

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I would be happy to show you some disc sanding techniques and tricks when I come home in a month or two.
    bruce

Thank you, Bruce! Drop me a line when you're back in the area and I'll see if I can get free for a day.

This would be an autumn/winter project, so it's no huge rush. With any luck, Bucephalus will be in the water by the beginning of next week.

Alex

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I haven't seen the WoodenBoat index but own one single issue of the paper version of the magazine and it has an article on fairing with thickened epoxy in it. It is in the February 2003 issue (number 170). The author of the article is Andy Giblin.

It describes a process of applying thickened epoxy in a ridged fashion with a notched trowel, sanding/longboarding and finding the high spots with coloured chalk, then filling in between the ridges and longboarding some more. The procedure and epoxy mix recipe is slightly different for above and below the waterline.

Thank you, BOI. I'll have a look for it.

Alex

I've got a line on a WB index, thanks to Jeff.

Thank you all.

Alex