Thread: Dancing Feather seeking new owner!

Default Dancing Feather seeking new owner!

Default Re: Dancing Feather seeking new owner!

Wow, what a boat for someone. I don't know if Capt Pete bought this boat and reworked it or if he built it. It doesn't appear as a plan in Burke's book. In any case it would have been reworked, rerigged, and refined by Pete.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I'm very glad to see her restored. A number of years ago her owner posted here asking for advice about repairs. I stopped by to see the boat near Gloucester when visiting my brother and it was in pretty rough shape with at least one split plank iirc. I've often wondered if the owner got her put back in shape.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

What is a rare knot? Is it still rare if 40 people tie it, or is it a secret knot or not? Maybe someone could name the knot.

What is a rare knot?
    I am going to guess they meant, "fancy work." The Culler boats I have seen were often whimsically, "tarted up." The rigging, I suspect, might follow that ethos.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

wOW, WHAT A BOAT!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Wow, what a boat for someone. I don't know if Capt Pete bought this boat and reworked it or if he built it. It doesn't appear as a plan in Burke's book. In any case it would have been reworked, rerigged, and refined by Pete.
    If I've got it straight, the boat was built to a local dory design in southern Maine, and the rig built and used a test bed by Pete Culler. the boat was on the deck at Ginos dory shop at Gloucester loop for years, mabey 10, with the bottom falling out and iron sick, the lady who posted here some how liberated it from the location and it spent a few weeks in my yard then whent somewhere and got restored, I dragged my feet on the boat due to insistence that a 1+- inch board 16 inches wide be resawn to make 2 garboards... I never got a look at the board in question but I hope they sprang for 2 new garboards...

very cool little dory, very light/ fine lines.

Quote Originally Posted by donsmarine View Post
    What is a rare knot? Is it still rare if 40 people tie it, or is it a secret knot or not? Maybe someone could name the knot.

yeah... Knot sure.