Thread: Interiors for small 30'-36' Center boat hulls

Default Interiors for small 30'-36' Center boat hulls

Hi All,
    I'm looking for people to contibute ideas and suggestions for various possible interia layouts.
    Ideally I'm interested in layouts and pictures from yachts in the 30'-36' length range and of narrow beam and light displacement.

I ideally want bunks for 5, double or 2 vee berths forward, and quarter berth on one side.
    Remember we have a centerboard case in the middle.
    Want a separte toilet, and basin for a flanel wash.

I will post some exisiting suggestions but am looking for pictures or plans from a varity of boats so I can pick out ideas that appeal to me.
    Thanks Zane

Default Re: Interiors for small 30'-36' Center boat hulls

Here's Reuel Parker's Terrapin 34. It has a centerboard, three double berths, and a separate toilet--and looks as cluttered as all-get-out.

http://www.parker-marine.com/terrapinpage.htm
    Peter Belenky

We're loving this layout, although in our boat it was modified to fit a very roomy double vee berth forward. The boat is not ultra-light and is fairly beamy, but the basic layout is similar to that of our 4000lb 28'er which has low freeboard and slender lines, so it could work for a smaller and lighter boat.

The thing we love about both layouts is the simplicity and the fact that there is little space put aside for things that are rarely used, like dinettes which (in my experience) suck up huge amounts of space and restrict the sitting and movement options. Similarly I'm quite happy to have no dedicated nav station; I do chartwork sitting up and the combined chart table/icebox on the 36'er gives you lots of room for chartwork and for galley work, rather than slicing the space up into small single-use pieces. One point we noticed is that a naviguesser standing up at this table can communicate with the helm more easily than if they were sitting in a standard nav station.

On the 36'er (which is quite low in freeboard by modern standards) the heads of the quarterberths are under the cockpit. On the 28'er, which is quite low by late '60s standards, the heads of the quarter berths comes into the main cabin so that they are not too claustrophobic, but that does subtract space from the saloon.

The 36'er has the engine under the saloon table, which works well because that area is otherwise normally largely dead space. You therefore gain the storage under the cockpit where most engines are. The 28'er has a hinged-flap table hanging off the mast support beam in a similar location. A centrecase in the same area would obstruct the sight lines but not movement.

Both boats have bridgedecks, which increases the space down below and opens up the area around the head of the quarter berths. Of course you do pay a penalty in movement in and out of the boat, but in my experience you lose little or no useful cockpit seating space.

Of course, all this is completely down to personal preference. We love simplicity and ease of movement down below. Others may differ.
    Last edited by Chris249; 04-30-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Hi guys thanks for the inputs.
    I just can't see the logic in that Terrapin Interia. It takes up lots of boat, as you say you end up with small spaces. Even the cockpit is small.
    That J36 looks to have lots of space down below.
    You make some good points. Dads yacht has a chart table which when we where doing night trips he would park himself at and navigate from. It is nice to have a spot out of the way to sit and read or write without people going up and down the boat bumping you.
    I had been considering your suggestion of doubleing up an area of galley bench. Then considered do I even need one now that I am doing my navigation on my phone or tablet. (Phone screen is just too small for my eyes now)
    Agree that the quarter berth needs to come out into the cabin some distance so people can get their legs up and into the bunk. 2 ft or 3 ft, how flexible are people.
    A bridge deck is a must for me. Extra cockpit seating space, allows some full width deck beams, provides some extra cabin storage. Better access to the engine if you can lift up a lid as well as doors.

I will get some pictures up when I sort out my pass words again.
    Zane

Here's a bad example.
    A 35 ft boat with only 3 bunks and 2 half settees, what where they thinking

This is closer to what I had in mind. Move the toilet forward on starboard to opposite the hanging locker.
    Then take out the chart table and put in a quarter berth and possibley move the starboard berth aft a little.

My main concern is around head room in the Toilet. I don't want it aft but cleaning your teeth with only 5'6" head room is not fun either.

In my mind having the toilet aft eats a lot of space, reduces the feeling of privacy, can give a cabin a closed in feel.
    Also having it forward gives some separation between the forward bunk and the salon berths. Opposite you can put some small shelves, possibly a small heater etc.

Another close one put the galley and toilet aft prevent having any quarter berths. Move the forward bunk and bulkhead further forward to the anchor bits.

Zane
    Last edited by Zane Lewis; 05-02-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Without hull lines, an idea of the floor outline and an idea of what kind of deck house you're willing to put on the boat, this is a pointless exercise. There are sparse, seating headroom only daysailors at 30ft and voluminous, long distance cruisers at 36ft.
    Specificity is the soul of narative.

From what you've seen so far, it should be apparent that interior space and headroom are dependent on beam and freeboard, as well as length, and all of these are associated with weight. If you want narrow beam and light displacement in a centerboarder, the stability will depend on keeping the freeboard low. Standing headroom and even sitting headroom on berths that extend under decks may not be practical.
    Peter Belenky

Hi Peter,
    I'm only looking for 6' or an inch or 2 more at the aft end of the cabin around the galley.
    What I'm hoping to get is some pictures and drawings of how others have done it so I can get a feel for proportions.

re the settee bunks I should have enough height under the side decks to roll over and read a book. Sitting up would have to within the confines of the cabin side walls. 8'8" beam less side decks gives a cabin width of about 6' inside. Assuming a bunk width of 24" that gives up to 4' between the bunks after allowing for flare in the hull. So it should be possible to sit up here in the bunk against a bulkhead to read and fill in time during crap weather.

I was not wanting to put up the drawings I have.
    Had hopped that giving the aprox dimensions should give people enough of an idea of the constraints I'm working within.35x28x8'8"x1'8". Centreboard.

Some pictures or links to boats and plans would all be great thanks.
    Zane

The best layed out boat for that size I've seen was a Contessa 32 called Explorer.
    Forward had a V berth, then a wet oilies locker to port and heads to starboard -
    Aft had Galley to port and chart table to starboard with the end of the quarterberth serving as the navigators seat.

The clever bit was the saloon - No table, conventional setee berh to starboard, to port was a second setee berth with jammed under the deackhead a second berth - note, this is asymetrical - but gives four tennable sea berths more or less parallel with the centreline.

Pictures in this PDF.
    http://www.co32.org/sites/default/fi...20Advert_0.pdf

N.B. If using the berths while sailing 20" wide is adequate.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

How often do you anticipate needing all 5 bunks? I wonder if you went with a raised deck like this one on Wee Barkie:

Would that allow you to have traditional settee berths with fold-up pipe berths above "bunkbed" style? That would actually give you 6 berths if you went symmetrical.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Lewis View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I'm only looking for 6' or an inch or 2 more at the aft end of the cabin around the galley.
    What I'm hoping to get is some pictures and drawings of how others have done it so I can get a feel for proportions.

re the settee bunks I should have enough height under the side decks to roll over and read a book. Sitting up would have to within the confines of the cabin side walls. 8'8" beam less side decks gives a cabin width of about 6' inside. Assuming a bunk width of 24" that gives up to 4' between the bunks after allowing for flare in the hull. So it should be possible to sit up here in the bunk against a bulkhead to read and fill in time during crap weather.

I was not wanting to put up the drawings I have.
    Had hopped that giving the aprox dimensions should give people enough of an idea of the constraints I'm working within.35x28x8'8"x1'8". Centreboard.

Some pictures or links to boats and plans would all be great thanks.
    Zane
    Your beam is 2" more than our Serendipity 28, which displaces around 2 tons and has the typical low freeboard of a Spencer of the late '60s, so that's familiar territory. What I can't work out is how your settee berths will extend under the sidedeck, while also being suitable as saloon seats; how will you get back support when seated? If the width under the area with headroom is correct for comfortable seating then the berth won't normally extend significantly under the sidedecks.

Serendipity 28 isn't a centerboarder, is it?
    Peter Belenky

Not at the moment, but that doesn't really affect the relevant issue, which is lateral distance between the cabin side and the settee berth fronts.

I have seriously considered installing a lift keel in her. It would affect the site lines more than anything else.

Hi Chris, I had not thought of that. Sitting without a back rest is ok for a quick meal but not for sitting back for a wine and an evening with friends.

The boat I sail mostly has high pilot berths with settees under then for sitting at the table on 10'4" beam and a lot more height. We can pull the settee bunks out to make an extra 2 berth's but don't do it very often. So she had a small double forward, 3 single berths and 2 pull outs. The port one gets some use but the starboard one blocks up access forward so we never use it.
    I may have to come up with some way to have the outer part of the bunk fold up as a backrest.
    I will look for some Interia pics of a Serendipity. I need to keep some width down the center between the berths for leg room beside the CB case and table plus access forward.

Re numbers. Most of my over night trips are only 3-4 people but kids will want to bring friends and there's always someone who has had 1 too many rums to let them row home.

Hi Steve, not sure I want to go raised deck, but it dose have other advantages with increasing righting moments in case of a knockdown.

Interia of a /28' Serendipity

Last edited by Zane Lewis; 05-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.

You could look at the layout of Karl Stambaugh's boats.
    Bahama Mama, 30'
    Windward, 28'
    Last edited by alkorn; 05-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

You and I are in different camps. I am specifically not interested in 5 berths on a 30+ ftr. We have a Herreshoff Meadowlark 33' x 8' The cabin trunk is ~13' long. This is the people space we have a big berth in the forward portion of the cabin, capable of accommodating my wife and me, and a grandchild. The fo'c'sle could be easily enough adapted to accept a child or two, but is really considered storage. The after portion of the cabin has the galley, charcoal heater, head, radio and electrics. I could sleep a person or two in the Cockpit under a tent.
    I do not like crowding the boat and have no need to now. (When my kids were little I would have valued more child sized berthing). But I do not value a boat in "how many does she sleep?"
    Are you really going to cruise a lot with 5?

"Fish, family and friends stink after 3 days" an old mate of mine once said to me

Can't argue with you that 5 is a crowd on a yacht under 35'. Can cope with it for a night or 2 but for longer I agree that 3 is a good number.
    But I want the option to have 5 on ocassion. This will never be more than a coastal boat doing weekend to 10 day trips. And some classic boat club events.
    Everyone needs a swim after a couple of days on board in summer.

Teenage boys stink after a couple of days. A couple of miles of the coast after the land breeze had died and we where waiting for the sea breeze to kick in. I jumped in as well for a wash but kept an eye out for the wind line

Zane
    Last edited by Zane Lewis; 05-07-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Ok This is an interia I would like to replicate on a smaller and simpler scale.
    This is a 34-35' Yawl, 10'4" beam and 5' draft.
    So when you look at these interia shots think of how a reduction in beam of 10" in from each side plus a reduction in height of probably 18" under the side decks.
    The cabin sole will be a 3/8" ply layer over ther king plank and hull.
    Cabin roof would have a greater radius.
    Imagine the table is the center board case and that the cabin finished a little further forward.

Interia Shot looking down from the companionway

Toilet. I can loose a few inches in here. it does not need to be as deep or as long.

Looking aft in the main cabin. think about the reduction in beam and height under the side decks.

Zane
    Last edited by Zane Lewis; 05-07-2017 at 04:12 AM.

heres a couple more

This is a clever idea to gain some more foot room under the bunk fronts when walking frward. Behind those cupboard doors is a shallow storage space for things like the first aid box, some plastic containers with dry goods, bulk floor, rice & sugar etc then you have the water tanks under the bunk with the piping etc running in the same storage space.

Most of this storage space and bench space under the side decks and bridge decks will go with the reduction in freeboard.

Close up looking forward inside. Again thinking about the loss of beam and height.

Due to lack of height and beam this will probably become a large Vee berth. Probably going to loose close to 2' in height over the bunk

Thanks
    Zane
    Last edited by Zane Lewis; 05-07-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Ok so I have found some more pictures which I will post to myself to help keep a record.

Crocker #291
    Just turn that area aft of the toilet into a Quater berth

and heres a sail plan.
    Today I would have three heads. Outer being an asyemetric, then a No1 on a furler 6" inside that and off the beak would be what is effectifly a No3 for use over 15 knts.