Thread: Inherited a beautiful wooden boat: looking for info

Default Inherited a beautiful wooden boat: looking for info

Dear Boaters,

I inherited this beautiful hand-made wooden rowboat from a great great uncle who lived outside of Portland.
    http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/...psww4ngnxi.jpg; http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/...psajfksaon.jpg

I don't know much of his story, except that he was a recluse, he loved the ocean, loved fishing, and loved wooden boats (I've got little models, and a kayak that he built too).

I'm looking for any insight on this boat that you may have--what kind is it? is it a kit or custom? what conditions might it have been used for? I'm 6'5", and I love the water, but this is boat is a bit small for me, and not appropriate for the rivers of Montana, so I'm not sure what to do with it. Would love to get it in the hands of someone who would appreciate and use it. Any thoughts on value (inc. trailer, cover, motor)?

I'm happy to answer any questions--if I can.

Thanks in advance,
    MT rower

More pics...

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Baula_one1/library/

Default Re: Inherited a beautiful wooden boat: looking for info

It is a pretty little nicely finished flat iron skiff. Some one put a lot of love in her. Some one might come along who may be able to identify an actual design, or it may just be generic. The motor well is unusual, but I like it.
    It will make a nice lakes boat or yacht tender.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That carbine hook on the anchor is not a good idea, otherwise a lovely boat.

Sweet. She looks like a normal little flattie in a sort of Atkin vein that has been meticulously outfitted by a very precise person of great self-knowledge. Most suited to the slow speeds the well and light motor and general design call for. So efficient that you'll carry less gas than beer for a day's outing.

Looks like it's set up well for fishing. Lakes, and rivers with no whitewater/fast current. No waters like that near you?

Too many designs it 'could' be. If I had to guess, though, I'd think maybe a Jordan 'Footloose' - sans sailing rig.

Used boat pricing is way too idiosyncratic to speculate. But if I were listing that ensemble today, I'd probably advertise it at something like $2,000 OBO... and see what offers came in. The used boat market being what it is these days... you could end up with no offers. But give it a shot, and see.
    Last edited by David G; 04-28-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I used to manage a website discussion group for a local ACBS group. Like this site, there were prohibitions against advertising. However, I would get posters asking "Gee, I wonder how much it is worth?" (Finger to side of face.)

That is a beautiful little skiff, great little rig to go gunkholing with. I love all of the custom details like the box storage cleats, grating, open gunwale and oar chocks. Newly built, there's probably 5 grand of materials, trailer and motor there plus ?$$$$? labor for knowledgable craftsmanship. I see those kind of rigs down here in Florida advertised used for $3500-$6500. While it may not be suited for the rivers or big water that is a nicely built, small, easy to handle rig for someone who wants to go fishing or rowing in skinny, protected water. As we get older we appreciate those small craft that let us get on the water without manage bigger craft, plus storage space should be minimal.

There is a story with that boat, and more to be told with a new crew, I envision a crop of grandkids might be involved

Thanks for sharing!

Kent

blooming excellent

take her to some skinny water and sail the socks off her

there is room to sleep aboard

you are a very lucky man

Dylan

That is a really neat boat, but can I ask; Why mount the motor in a well(?) instead of hanging it off the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
    That is a really neat boat, but can I ask; Why mount the motor in a well(?) instead of hanging it off the transom?
    She will trim better with the live ballast further forward.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Vice grips do not fall overboard while changing spark plug.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan winter View Post
    blooming excellent

take her to some skinny water and sail the socks off her

there is room to sleep aboard

you are a very lucky man

Dylan
    Not all boats are destined to be sailboats. This one could easily bet retrofitted... if one were wanting to go that way... but is not currently set up for sail.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My guess is that the skiff was originally designed as a simple row skiff, row forward when carrying a passenger, aft when not. The builder realized that trim would be horrible sitting on the aft seat solo so when the outboard was wanted it went into a well. Others have solved this with a long extension. I'd have no problem fishing her on a nice river here in the east, like the Potomac, the Kennebec, Penoboscot etc. Rapid running, I'd rather not. She'd be fine on most lakes as well except for the real big ones that can start to white cap in the afternoon.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    My guess is that the skiff was originally designed as a simple row skiff, row forward when carrying a passenger, aft when not. The builder realized that trim would be horrible sitting on the aft seat solo so when the outboard was wanted it went into a well. Others have solved this with a long extension. I'd have no problem fishing her on a nice river here in the east, like the Potomac, the Kennebec, Penoboscot etc. Rapid running, I'd rather not. She'd be fine on most lakes as well except for the real big ones that can start to white cap in the afternoon.
    Hard to tell which way the original design leaned without getting a sense of the rocker/shape. But, yes, it seems to have been set up that way, and be a nifty little fishing/puttering skiff for use with oars or outboard.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Thanks for your input everyone. Super helpful.

I've posted the boat for sale for $3000 in the classified section:
    https://www.woodenboat.com/boats-for...rd-and-trailer

Good luck with it.
    I suggest craigslist also.

Was the great great uncle who lived outside of Portland a fisherman by any chance? In many respects this looks like a very nicely thought out skiff...I wonder if her original usage wasn't for salmon or steelhead fishing on the Columbia river. What's with the gallows arrangement on the stern? Kinda looks like it might have been used for a stern-first day anchor. This is very common among fishermen on the river.
    Just spit-ballin', of course. Beautiful little boat. I hope she finds a home with someone who appreciates nice workmanship.
    -Paul
    s/y Pickpocket

YES. Big time fisherman. Loved to fish from what I've heard. Next to the motor well is another small opening built specifically for a fish finder. Your question just made me realize that one of the little storage boxes under the forward bench has a map of a bay and waterway. Maybe I can scan and attach that, and see if someone here recognizes the location! That'd give us some insight into where he took the boat and maybe what he'd have been fishing for. Thanks PaulGrun.

Hi MT_rower

We sell a lot of small boats down here in Florida, I'd suggest that you add a few more pictures of the boat to your ad if you can, including a shot of the entire hull from the quarter bow and quarter stern. The trailer looks to be in good shape, I'd paint those fenders bright red just for fun. Also mention that the trailer is road ready and what size hitch ball is needed.

Good luck with the sale!

Kent
    PS we added a link to you woodenboat ad to our fb page Small Boat Restoration