Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Dems are starting to work with the President?

Default Do you think the Dems are starting to work with the President?

The first 100 days the Dems have done everything they can to not just be against the President but to try to get the country against the President.

Well in the past few days the Dems seem to be starting to work with the President.

1. The Dems are starting to vote for Trump Cabinet picks.
    The last one Purdue got 87 votes so, 35 dems voted for him.

2. Most of the Dems visited the WH for the North Korean briefing.
    No big political statements about not attending.
    No complaining about having the meeting at the WH.

3. Some leading Dems are supporting Trump supporters right to speak at Universities.
    Sanders, Warren, etc.

Title: Senate confirms Sonny Perdue as agriculture secretary
    Perdue won confirmation on a strong bipartisan vote of 87-11, as several Democrats backed a Trump nominee after razor-thin outcomes for his choices earlier this year. Perdue's cousin, Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., voted "present" but presided over the vote and announced the final tally.
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...secretary.html

Title: Bernie Sanders Condemns Threats Against Ann Coulter Speech At Berkeley
    Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b00fa7de14bc3d

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Do you think the Dems are starting to work with the President?

Perdue was a pretty harmless choice for the cabinet as opposed to the other cabinet members who were confirmed by the republican wall geng, The other one backed by dems was Mattis.It means squat! And taking up an invite to the WH doesn't mean much. I would have gone out of curiosity to try to read the Trumpster's mind if for no other reason. And why wouldn't they, Free Speech is a RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Perdue was a pretty harmless choice for the cabinet as opposed to the other cabinet members who were confirmed by the republican wall geng, The other one backed by dems was Mattis.It means squat! And taking up an invite to the WH doesn't mean much. I would have gone out of curiosity to try to read the Trumpster's mind if for no other reason. And why wouldn't they, Free Speech is a RIGHT!
    If anything, it demonstrates that Democrats are fairly evaluating Trump's pics.... nominees like Perdue ans Mattis get the nod because they're reasonable choices.... nominees like Betsy DeVos, who wants to destroy public education, or Scott Pruitt, who doesn't even believe in the purpose or mission of the department he's heading, do not.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

You can't work with something which changes its shape every 5 minutes. If Democrats could be said to be "working with" the wraith in the White House, it can only be because some of the stuff coming out of the wraith's office isn't coming from him.

Now if you want to examine whether some Democrats are working with some Congressional Regressives, then unfortunately yes. A couple of Democrats who fear losing their next election are much more conciliatory towards Regressive offerings than most.

The Regressives have RINOs and the Democrats have DINOs.

But generalizations nearly always fail when discussing human events.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Golly Geng, when the president wants to build a unnecessary wall, demonize Mexican and Muslim Americans, gut the State Dept, gut the EPA and the programs necessary from turning the Great Lakes and bays into algae ponds to pay for an unnecessary increase in the Pentagon you kinda got it backwards who is against whom.
    Last edited by LeeG; 04-28-2017 at 09:33 AM.

If the dems are working with Trump, its because unlike their republican colleagues, they still feel as though they have a job to do, despite a guy from "the other team" being in the white house. I find it refreshing.

I don't think the democratic will budge on the big stuff.

The debt
    The Wall
    The budget
    Healthcare.

Maybe some immaterial things Trump wants to implement although I can't see anything except infrastructure.

Are you trying to paint the Democrats as dummies? They have a prime seat to watch Repugnican ignorance feed the inevitable melt down. All the Dems have to do is sit on their hands or laugh when that is appropriate.

Dems working with the president? I think you have it backwards. Trump has backed away from many of his campaign promises (or simply reversed them) & moved towards (not always to, but towards) positions a grownup might take: not doing the wall right now, not canceling NAFTA, supporting NATO and the Export-Import Bank, etc.

I'd think his supporters would be furious over his broken promises.
    Last edited by Garret; 04-28-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The first step in working with the President is for the Dems to stop all the insults, riots, boycotts etc.
    Call me a dreamer but I see hope.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    The first step in working with the President is for the Dems to stop all the insults, riots, boycotts etc.
    So, you want a dictatorship, everyone in line with El Duce'. You want a nation of lemmings heading mindlessly to the ocean and drowning geng, good for you. What color Uniform should we wear?

I see chaos anger and despair. The only hope is shown when Trump says things that are so utterly stupid that there is a thought that this kind of behavior might not be able to last for four years.

If the Dems are grown-ups, they'll work with their colleagues on issues where they find common interests. And will refuse to support initiatives which they and their constituents believe will damage the country. So far, in practice we see that they have chosen not to be "the party of No," and that's a good thing.
    • They've supported Cabinet appointments which seem reasonable, and opposed those which seem unfit.
    • They will not support The Wall.
    • They will not support a Health Care proposal which damages the country, but are open to exploring reforms which will address actual issues with the ACA.
    • They will not support initiatives which increase or inflame bigotry, whether based on ethnicity, gender, immigration status, religion, etc.
    • They will not support initiatives which erode the Constitutional responsibilities of the Judiciary, or compromises Judicial independence.
    • They will not support the tax proposals unveiled this week, which will wildly disproportionately benefit the rich - using economics rationales which have never, never actually delivered the promised results benefitting middle- and low-income citizens. About 40 years of examples have proved definitively that Trickle-down economics is a heresy, and a failure anywhere it's been tried.
    • They will not support trade isolationism, though they are open to negotiating trade relationships which benefit their constituents.

If the White House wants to move forwards on initiatives which Dems will not support, then it's up to the White House to whip their own members. If they can't or won't, then the White House needs to adjust their goals. But blaming Dems for not supporting things which no Dem was elected to support .. and which the POTUS' own colleagues won't support ... ?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

They better not. I've told my reps if they lift a finger they're up for a primary. In the words of Mitch McConnell, my job is to mark trump a one term president.behaving like adults.....great idea. Certainly worked for trump didn't it. Vote no on everything.
    Last edited by Boater14; 04-28-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    They better not. I've told my reps if they lift a finger they're up for a primary. In the words of Mitch McConnell, my job is to mark trump a one term president.
    My rep. doesn't listen to his constituents, there are enough republicans who vote party line and he knows it. Those opposed to him are few in number and he knows that too. He's going to vote party line and the new proposal just as he did one the earlier one that was defeated before another one of their two week vacations.

Did anybody listen to Trump "reaching across the aisle" in his speech to the NRA today?

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    You can't work with something which changes its shape every 5 minutes. If Democrats could be said to be "working with" the wraith in the White House, it can only be because some of the stuff coming out of the wraith's office isn't coming from him.
    Wraith, very apt.

One doesn't usually think of a wraith as big and orange, but still.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

While the News Media has been making up Fake News, some Dems are starting to support Trumps agenda.

Title: House passes Kate’s Law, as part of illegal immigrant crackdown
    Kate's Law, which would increase the penalties for deported aliens who try to return to the United States and caught, passed with a vote of 257 to 157, with one Republican voting no and 24 Democrats voting yes.
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...crackdown.html

The Dems should be going about their own reorganisation and policy framework, and finding and promoting a candidate.
    Let Donald, his lackeys, his family and the GOP flounder about whilst the various enquiries run their course. Getting anywhere close could be toxic.

But if after all come 2020 the US voters prefer showmen, self-servers and crooks there will be no one to blame but themselves.

There's something slightly odd about seeking out your own 3 month old post and commenting on it.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Nothing odd about it if your geng. Routine stuff.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    There's something slightly odd about seeking out your own 3 month old post and commenting on it.
    If anything, in the last few months, we've seen the Republicans become less willing to work with the President.

Congress passed a new Russia sanctions bill, thumbing their nose at Trump.

Republicans have refused several times to repeal Obamacare.

Several Republicans are openly criticizing Trump, some even calling him crazy.

Senate Republicans are siding with Jeff Sessions after Trump insulted him.

And the Republicans in both the House and Senate are calling Trump's allies and family members in to testify.

Funny how geng always seems to miss half the story.

More than half. Mote and beam in the eye and all that. Senate just voted 57-43 against their own version replacement of the ACA. Dems in unanimity.
    Steve Martinsen

You poor S.O.B.

You just can't stand that your image of the Great Idol has developed feet of unfired clay, can you?

I'd like to say I feel sorry for your realization, but you were warned, yet you continued to defend and deflect, and now you reap the whirlwind of contempt so richly deserved.

It's another brownish substance, but it is not not clay, Vince.
    Steve Martinsen

Hope springs eterna for the OP. I am not eager about what is coming, and faster than we could have imagined. We'll be facing a crisis and as we always knew, it will have to be the Republicans that get us out of this mess. I think the Dems are prepared to cooperate to that effect. McCain's speech today offered a glimmer of hope though he could have been more honest about apportioning blame. Some people are more guilty than others of playing fast and loose with collegiality and ethics. But it's a start.

I watched Hannity tonight. Fox is beating the "they did it, investigate Hillary and Shultz's IT guy" drum. He rained all over Republicans who, in so many words, he berated as a bunch of losers. I think Hannity is the most perverted Foxling of the lot, but he has listeners. The dull crowd will lap it up, but here's to any remaining honorable Republican Conservatives recognizing the need to stop playing footsie. Geng will see Reds and Blues cooperating as soon as a few more reds with some
    cojones step up in the clear to support the rule of law.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Is this serious, or an extended parody?

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    McCain's speech today offered a glimmer of hope
    Don't judge a Politician on what he says - but on what he does.

He recieved top of the line medical care at tax payers expense (I don't begrudge him that) and he steps up and speeches about cross party cooperation.
    Then, even though he stated that the Republican bill is a 'Shell of a bill right now" - he voted for it along rigid partisan lines.

Recieves tax payer paid health care - votes to take it away from poor people.
    Calls for bipartisanship - votes partisan on a 'shell of a bill'.

He deny's people the privileges he enjoys, preaches cooperation and practices partisan. He wants others to do without healthcare and others to compromise politically.

Where i come from we have a word for a speech like that - B#LL$#!T
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post

He recieved top of the line medical care at tax payers expense (I don't begrudge him that) and he steps up and speeches about cross party cooperation.
    Then, even though he stated that the Republican bill is a 'Shell of a bill right now" - he voted for it along rigid partisan lines.

He deny's people the privileges he enjoys, preaches cooperation and practices partisan. He wants others to do without healthcare and others to compromise politically.

Just to be clear the vote yesterday was to move the bill from committee (small group) to the full Senate so it can be
    1. Debated/discussed by all Senators
    2. Amended/changed by all Senators.

So his voting for moving the bill to the full Senate and his speech asking for Dems to participate in debating and amending the Bill as being completely consistent.

I hope the Dems will participate.

Just to be clear the vote yesterday was to move the bill from committee (small group) to the full Senate so it can be

So his voting for moving the bill to the full Senate and his speech asking for Dems to participate in debating and amending the Bill as being completely consistent.

They sent in amendments that they knew the repubnuts won't like1 So McTurtle's bill, last night failed 43-57. NOTE 57 there are only 52 republicans geng. The next bill, there really are only two, will be voted on on today (REPEAL)! I hope it goes down in flames as McTurtle's did

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post

To be clear, it was disappointing that his vote didn't just put the thing to bed but I took his comments as sincere. McCain disappointed and impressed within a matter of seconds. I'm no McCain fan but I saw the speech as a crack in the Republican line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    To be clear, it was disappointing that his vote didn't just put the thing to bed but I took his comments as sincere. McCain disappointed and impressed within a matter of seconds. I'm no McCain fan but I saw the speech as a crack in the Republican line.
    You can't teach old dogs new tricks!

You're very naive about how the Senate actually works. The vote yesterday was ostensibly a vote to proceed with debate, in reality, it was just a procedural vote to advance the process.

The real work of debating and negotiating a bill does not happen on the Senate floor. It happens in offices and meeting rooms. Sometimes in restaurants and hallways. They don't need a vote to conduct the real debates and discussions.

Also, the vote yesterday was certainly not a vote to allow it to be amended/changed by all Senators. The process of controlling which amendments are considered and who may offer them is controlled by the Senate leadership. I would not be surprised if they refuse to allow any amendments from Democrats. So McCain's vote yesterday was certainly not a vote to allow it to be amended by all Senators.

The amendment process in the Senate is a bit burdensome. They divide amendments into several categories, such as First, Second and Third Degree Amendments. There are also substituting amendments and perfecting amendments. There are different rules for how each type may be offered and considered and what sort of vote or consent each needs to be considered, added, tabled or withdrawn. The whole process can become quite an organizational mess.

That's why it's best to "proceed to debate" only after the bill is reasonably well developed and near its final form. Proceeding to debate with a bill that is wholly undeveloped, whose most basic features are still undetermined, that has not been seen by the majority of the chamber, is a recipe either for chaos (in the best case), or underhanded trickery and manipulation (in the worst case.)

That's what McCain voted for.

If he really wanted debate and discussion, he could have invited his colleagues over for tea.

Trump and the Dems are starting to work together.
    1. First it was the debt ceiling and Hurricane aide.
    2. Tonight there is an agreement about DACA and border security.
    The details are not out so we will need to see what is in it.
    Last edited by genglandoh; 09-13-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo