Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sikaflex or 5200 below the waterline?

Default Re: Sikaflex or 5200 below the waterline?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    ...On both new and old construction, many boat yards are turning to 5200 in place of the traditional seam compounds. Very easy to apply and once cured easily painted.
    I don't get it. Neoga had 5200 in her topside seams when I bought her (please don't ask). Since "everyone" says 5200 is paintable, I left it there & repainted the topsides. Even touched up a few spots before the painting. Within 2 months, some white was showing & by the end of the season, 3/4 of the paint had flaked off the 5200. Where it was still attached, I could pull strips off with a fingernail.

I'm sure the planks had moved some - but the paint didn't stick to it worth a damn. She now has real seam compound & by the end of the season I may have lost an inch or 2 of paint spread over a few seams - IOW hardly any gone.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have never had trouble using Loctite PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive or Loctite Black PL or Sanitred Permaflex in the plank seams and on the underwater planks. Maybe cause the entire planks I coated.

Here in 2014, I coated the bow going back 10 feet with Loctite Black PL roof flashing polyurethane mixed with 30% 1/32 milled fiberglass fiber. For the seams I mixed 30% sawdust in Loctite PL.
    Has been just wonderful. I plan to haul in 2018 so will post pictures of it then.

Some pictures show the yellow permaflex still stuck on the hull well from 2005. I ground the hull to clean wood to put on the Loctite Black PL rubber.
    It is an experiment to try different things and see how they work. One negative about permaflex, it can separate between cured layers. It stuck fine on the mahogany planks, but the oak keel I was able to rip it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    If the brown is running dry, add a few drops of thinner. On older hulls that are dried out every winter, it can help to mix the brown about 50/50 with black roofing glop. Final trick in my kit is an old time reloadable grease gun. I load the mix in that and can lay a nice bead in the crack ready for a good fast flattening with my spatula much faster and easier than working dabs off a mortar board.

On both new and old construction, many boat yards are turning to 5200 in place of the traditional seam compounds. Very easy to apply and once cured easily painted.
    I ended up heating the cans up on a hot plate. Went on easy from a board but cooled fast. Came out nice though. Next time I will look into 5200.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Do you great people face to face, for the first time with humour of that sort. I think not otherwise you'd cop a smacking like you deserve. Thanks for loosing us the opportunity to see his boat.
    Forums would be better off without your type.
    Yes I do and have yet to have anyone smack me. Pm me and I can give you an address so you can be the keyboard warrior to do it. Your idea so you should be the one to do it
    I did not lose anything. The op is a baby and needs to get off the Internet with such thin skin. I don't know how he expects to refit an old wooden boat with this temperament. Actually they acted like most wealthy boat owners. I would know as I deal with them every day. It was a joke and you are roasting me for nothing! I doubt the op will last on any forum espically this one.

I apologize to the op for a misunderstood joke and would advise them to not be so thin skinned. It won't end well in the boating community.

I have known many of the great designers, in my lifetime. One of them was L Fransis Herreshoff whom I both corresonded with and spoke with via the phone. I once had the pleasure of spending a week in his home. I had and still have a great respect for his wisdom and reasoning as to materials, design and methods of boat construction. I say this because I have been around wooden boats long enough to be able to see what does and does not work or give good service and reliability over the long run. One factor that LFH referred to in contemporary thought as to materials was, "Damn Foolishness". I can honestly say now that I have reached an age that some may call "reason", I now understand what he was referring to!

In truth, I prefer to use oil based products for paying underwater seams as they hold when, properly used, and can be easily removed when it is needed. This is something that I cannot, even begin to say in reference to the new,"miracle" seam compounds!
    Jay

I'm a woody novice and even I understood the playful nature intended by the "mental problems" comment. Btw, my experience with 5200 and the like is it's strong as hell but a b*tch to remove. I used cotton and interlux brown compound.