Thread: Not using bungs for seat screws

Default Not using bungs for seat screws

Planning to use silicon bronze screws for seats in a tender. For esthetic reasons I am considering to leave my seat screws exposed with the head flush with the seat. Would there be any reason this would not be OK.

Default Re: Not using bungs for seat screws

Quote Originally Posted by glmeadows View Post
    Planning to use silicon bronze screws for seats in a tender. For esthetic reasons I am considering to leave my seat screws exposed with the head flush with the seat. Would there be any reason this would not be OK.
    Only one minor reason. Metal screw-heads can heat up in the direct sun, and brand any bare flesh laid upon them. If your screw-heads are out of the way enough to preclude this - then no worries.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

And it's nice to be able to remove the seats sometimes, but if you use flat head screws they will most likely wind up a tad below the surface which means the depressions created will hold water. That may eventually result in discolorization.

Also, if they are below the surface they may pull up some splinters around the edges when you remove them.

Pan heads with washers bedded in caulk won't do that.

I have found that the sharp edges of finish washers cut thru the finish and into the wood, also resulting in discolorization. Once again, pan heads, etc.

I never had a problem with countersunk flatheads lying flush with the surface if - important if here - the countersink hole was properly bedded/sealed. Frankly, almost anything non-brittle will do from bedding compound to glops from a tube to a dab of thickened old varnish/paint/oil that you keep in the slush bucket. I like to put it in the pre drilled hole and countersink depression and then place the screw and drive it in. This way some of the glop is drawn down into the hole and will help keep the whole deal sealed, preventing water intrusion. Usually there's a bit of squeeze out to immediately get with a solvent laden rag. When I had lots of screws in areas where all possible staining of the wood could be a problem, I'd lay tape on a bit of scrap mylar or some such and use a sized punch to make holes in the masking tape the size of the screwhead/countersink rim. Thus I had easier clean up.

Consider using Phillips head screws with a bit brace. I used slotted screws as you may envision and one of them stripped when I went to remove it.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

I would use oval head screws, they are designed as a finish item shed water and are lovely.

Don't sit on them...

Both the Nutshell pram and Shellback dinghy call for flathead screws with finish washers as removable seat hardware. Lots of both of those boats out there, must work ok.

I think it better to fasten the seats from below so that neither water intrusion nor hot seat problems arise. I've used brass angle iron for this sort of thing.