Thread: Thailand Canoes

Default Thailand Canoes

I was poking around looking for information on sampans and came across this - does anyone know anything about these -
    http://www.ayutthaya-history.com/His...mThaiBoat.html
    - look at the canoes/piroques/whatever in the third picture - remember this is a museum - they look awfully modern - the front one with normal looking frames possibly with a floor, (or maybe knees on a flat bottomed boat), and the middle one with timbers?

Default Re: Thailand Canoes

I came across these, and many others, in a small town outside Bangkok. Don't remember the name of the town but they had a great market on the water.

[IMG]DSC_9674 by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_9666 by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_9664 by
    Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_9660 by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

they compare more closely to dories than they do canoes

Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We call this a canoe. It was more canoe-y before I put this end in.
    Sorry, this is the only "whole boat" shot I could find. It's in mid rebuild.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I've been trying to find the name of this type for a couple of years. Not overly pursuant in my quest, but I've hunted around online on multiple occasions. It's also tough to find a pic of one out of the water or in the process of being built in order see what the underside looks like.

Trevor

Trevor and Gary,
    They are basically a sampan '3 planks' - search for "Damnern Saduak Floating Market" in Thailand and you will find pics of hundreds of them - all pretty similar. I would image the underside is just flat, although if you look at at Gary's second picture the boat that the canoe is sitting on has a "V" bow or stern section. (Someone, somewhere must have a good pic of one out of the water - I'll keep searching). Look here for some general info on sampans -
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....y_sampans.html
    Last edited by dave119; 04-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Trevor, just came across an old thread on sampans - obviously you know about these things - did you ever come across and plans or building info on he Thailand market boat?

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post
    I've been trying to find the name of this type for a couple of years. Not overly pursuant in my quest, but I've hunted around online on multiple occasions. It's also tough to find a pic of one out of the water or in the process of being built in order see what the underside looks like.

Trevor
    --- Have you tried the book, From Aak to Zumbra? It's an encyclopedia of world boats. Under the geographic index under Thailand there are several names: bote, dogol, kolek, kolek lichang, kueh buteh ketiri, lorcha, rua (whole bunch that use the 'rua' word as the first in a term), sampan, top, yaw negat. And a few others. Don't have time to flip the pages now, but this might help. -- Wade

All I've seen them called is the general 'sampan' term and often just called 'canoes' by Westerners. The Damnoen Saduak sampans come in a lot of different sizes. The smaller, single occupant ones are prettier in my eye. All seem to carry an amazing load, though.

Wade, thanks for the other terms/names to search. I've not seen or heard of that book or ever come across plans for them. As far as I have seen, they are built by traditional makers. One guy teaches another guy, , often family, etc. Built by eye and experience. The boats of Lake Inle in Myanmar are just as interesting to me, as well as the paddle-driven longtail river sampans in Laos. I've never been to southeast Asia, but I've poked around online quite a bit in boredom and curiosity.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by dave119 View Post
    Trevor, just came across an old thread on sampans - obviously you know about these things - did you ever come across and plans or building info on he Thailand market boat?

Glad that someone else has mentioned this and I add the observation that evidence of this general type of three plank vessel shows up along the coast of southern Asia,all the way to the Mediterranean, and was even the basis of beach launched fishing boats in Portugal.
    Sure, these are not all canoes, even if they be double ended (both truncate or pointy ended), but have their vernacular identity wherever they are found.

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post

Trevor
    My first boat was an 8' version of one of those. It was sold to my father as a sampoa.

I bought one in about 1990 which now hangs from the ceiling of the boathouse at the Center for Wooden Boats. That was one of the trips where I stayed with my cousin, who lived on the canals in Thon Buri, and borrowed one of those to paddle around taking pictures of canal life. A few of them are posted here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/2957...fe-in-Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    --- Have you tried the book, From Aak to Zumbra? It's an encyclopedia of world boats. Under the geographic index under Thailand there are several names: bote, dogol, kolek, kolek lichang, kueh buteh ketiri, lorcha, rua (whole bunch that use the 'rua' word as the first in a term), sampan, top, yaw negat. And a few others. Don't have time to flip the pages now, but this might help. -- Wade
    Sometimes transliterated as reua, it means boat. reua paai is a paddle boat.