Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: @Bobbys, how has Trump improved your situation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default @Bobbys, how has Trump improved your situation?

Bobby, I've seen several cheap shots from you lately at libs, kiwis, aussies about their thoughts on trump. So I'd love to see the other side of the story.
    How has having trump as president materially improved your life? What is the upside of having a person, who the vast majority of the worlds population percieve to be a lying buffoon (not without reason) as your leader?
    Seriously, I really want to know, because I just dont get it.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Default Re: @Bobbys, how has Trump improved your situation?

Pete,

I seriously hope you're not holding your breath in waiting for an answer, but it is a great question nonetheless.

It would be very interesting to see what Alvin or any of his cohort have to say.

Good luck!

Kev
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Wow, barely into his presidency and you want immediate gratification. Typical lib.
    I can put up two things:
    1. Supreme Court
    2. Illegal's crossings way down

Not to mention that pretty hole in Afghanistan full of ISIS parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Wow, barely into his presidency and you want immediate gratification. Typical lib.
    I can put up two things:
    1. Supreme Court
    2. Illegal's crossings way down

Not to mention that pretty hole in Afghanistan full of ISIS parts.
    Supreme Court?

Soooo . . . You feel OK about that?

Really?

Do you realize that once the Moron King is done with destroying our Governmental system, that everyone will be Fair Game?

And that's what you want?

Really?

Pretty pathetic.

The number of illegals crossing has been going down for years, but we're barely into Trump's presidency and you want to give him all the credit. Typical trog.
    Rattling the teacups.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Supreme Court?

Soooo . . . You feel OK about that?

Really?

Do you realize that once the Moron King is done with destroying our Governmental system, that everyone will be Fair Game?

And that's what you want?

Really?

Pretty pathetic.

The number of illegals crossing has been going down for years, but we're barely into Trump's presidency and you want to give him all the credit. Typical trog.
    Seriously, I don't think Bluey thinks that far ahead!

Bobby, I thought I had asked a pretty straightforward question, yes or no answer material. Seems not, just the usual rant about libs for an answer.
    Try this then, do you think things will be better for you, your kids/grandkids in four years time - because I do acknowledge that 100 days isnt terribly long. For example, better health insurance, more job opportunities, lower tax, better maintained roads etc, being safer travelling abroad? Some specific thing you will be able to attribute to the president with the slightly unorthodox way of doing things. Help me out here, I want to understand why you're cheerleading for this guy.

Mr Bluefin, anti EPA, from Austin Texas - have you seen the crazy coastal erosion going on with the Mississippi delta - almost ALL due to unchecked oil industry activity in the early days, modifying the waterways. No, it aint pollution, but it is the sort of thing the EPA has an interest in. I've flown over it, talked to people there - they are starting to sit up and take notice, because huge acreages of land are disappearing fast.
    I flew into LA back in '91 - couldn't see $hit for smog. Went through there last year, wow, what a difference! If you dont think manufacturers wont revert back to the cheapest, nastiest solution the minute the EPA is hamstrung through lack of funding, then you need a slap upside the head. The ONLY reason things 'environmental' are as good as they are now, is because of the constant pressure to make it so.
    Don't believe me? Check out the horrendous air quality in any large Chinese city, where minimal environmental controls are in place. I've been there too a few times, Jesus wept, you couldn't see the tops of the highest buildings in Shanghai for smog.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

So, your paycheque's looking more solid? Your health insurance looks stronger, rather than more fragile? Your confidence in America's domestic safety from credible espionage threats or jihadist whackos (native born or imports) is stronger? You're more confident that your kids will be living in an environment that is relatively pollution-free, and where American leadership is contributing to solutions for environmental issues affecting the region and the globe?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So, your paycheque's looking more solid? Your health insurance looks stronger, rather than more fragile? Your confidence in America's domestic safety from credible espionage threats or jihadist whackos (native born or imports) is stronger? You're more confident that your kids will be living in an environment that is relatively pollution-free, and where American leadership is contributing to solutions for environmental issues affecting the region and the globe?
    I am neither Bobbys nor Bluefin2, but you seem to be asking the wrong question. You put out a list of things that you believe affect your situation and a claim that the new government affected those things adversely for you. 100 days seems to be too short of a period of time for some of them to have affected anyone.

Economically I have done well over the last 3 months. It amounts to $10K/year raise for the rest of my life. My health is still as good as it was prior to the election. I don't see any need for health insurance. The air seems just as clean. I did read that ocean pollution is moving into the arctic ocean. But that seems to have started a long time ago. Life is looking good for me.

The poor get as bad of a deal from this president as they have from previous presidents. But it is only 18 months until the next election.
    Life is complex.

Paycheck has increased but not due to any president. Health ins is the same as when the prior ruler fubar'd it. Thankfully hadn't had to use it for anything but checkups. My confidence in espionage threats is what it was before - unchanged.
    As far as the environment I think we're just fine. Pounding down more regs/cost on corps that get passed to the rest of us just seems silly especially given what is going on pullution wise in the rest of the world. Bombing and chaos in the ME, NKorea detonating nukes like party favors, Japan seeping nuke waste, parts of Asia you can't breathe, Mexico which is a CDC nightmare waiting to happen, etc.
    Overall I feel pretty good about things in the US.

As far as the environment I think we're just fine. Pounding down more regs/cost on corps that get passed to the rest of us just seems silly especially given what is going on pullution wise in the rest of the world.
    The Republican Environmental Ethic: we ought to join in on the pollution as soon as we can or it will be foreigners making the money.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

Yeah. Notice Bluey (coincidence? I think not) has offered nothing of substance - and expecting a coherent thought from bbbobys is ill-conceived from the gitgo. The NYTimes finally ran an opinion piece calling out the no-clothes emperor, for the lying, incompetent cheat that he is - but with his brethren in Congress, there are no checks and balances.

Caught this - it's the world the deplorables adore.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/20/white-...dow-chemicals/
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Here's the thing that I never could understand - what is the downside to good environmental stewardship? It benefits us all in the long term.

Environmental regulations that led to higher fuel economy numbers are a great thing as far as I'm concerned. I went from an 8 year old car to a current version of the same vehicle this past Fall. The fuel economy increase that I'm seeing from the vehicle is about 30% - substantial. What's the down-side other than to the oil company's bottom line? Better for my pocket book, better for the environment, and ultimately better for slower consumption of a limited resource.

I don't think we're seeing the type of immigration change that even Bluey wants - it is one of intimidation. Because of the economy, we'd been seeing a drop in economic migrants since the last half of the Bush administration. Still, we've got Trump working to make changes to the H1B and H2B Visa programs that would appear to be looking to undercut American workers for the benefit of large companies.

As far as the Supreme Court goes, Justices can be a funny thing. They aren't always what you think they're going to be.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Here's the thing that I never could understand - what is the downside to good environmental stewardship? It benefits us all in the long term.

Environmental regulations that led to higher fuel economy numbers are a great thing as far as I'm concerned. I went from an 8 year old car to a current version of the same vehicle this past Fall. The fuel economy increase that I'm seeing from the vehicle is about 30% - substantial. What's the down-side other than to the oil company's bottom line? Better for my pocket book, better for the environment, and ultimately better for slower consumption of a limited resource.
    Kind of curious as to what car had such a dramatic improvement in fuel economy in the past eight years. There is no regulation that directly affects fuel economy for any specific model, other than the ancient gas-guzzler tax that raises the price of a handful of luxury models. The fuel-economy regulations in place are for the average economy numbers for individual manufacturers, rather than specific models. There have been some significant efficiency improvements in engine design in general, but most are nowhere near 30%. Of course, one could usually buy a car with improved fuel economy, with or without regulation, for most of the history of the auto industry. That would be a personal choice, however. Might also note that until recently, fuel economy standards weren't considered environmental regulation--they had roots in the 1970s energy crisis, when reduced fuel consumption was deemed in the national interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Kind of curious as to what car had such a dramatic improvement in fuel economy in the past eight years. There is no regulation that directly affects fuel economy for any specific model, other than the ancient gas-guzzler tax that raises the price of a handful of luxury models. The fuel-economy regulations in place are for the average economy numbers for individual manufacturers, rather than specific models. There have been some significant efficiency improvements in engine design in general, but most are nowhere near 30%. Of course, one could usually buy a car with improved fuel economy, with or without regulation, for most of the history of the auto industry. That would be a personal choice, however. Might also note that until recently, fuel economy standards weren't considered environmental regulation--they had roots in the 1970s energy crisis, when reduced fuel consumption was deemed in the national interest.
    Honda Civic. Went from a 2008 fuel-injected four cylinder automatic that was a 1.8 liter displacement that managed about 28 MPG on my regular to-work drive (Based on a logbook of fuel fills to miles) to a 2016 with the 1.5 liter turbo and a CVT that I'm regularly averaging about 38-40 MPG with. The 2008 EPA specs were 26 city / 34 highway. The 2016 specs were 31 city / 42 highway. I've done a few long drives that averaged almost 50 MPG with the thing. Regularly beats the EPA sticker numbers. To be honest, I was skeptical, so I started to keep a logbook of fuel fills and mileage for the new car. The car's fuel monitoring system isn't perfect, but it's within about 1 MPG.

The thing about the new car is that the "mileage minder" which sort of changes your driving habits a bit if you pay any attention to it. So, the change in fuel economy is as much about the car and the engine as it is about the change in my driving habits. I'm far less of a lead-foot than I was with the old vehicle. I'm sure that I'd get better fuel economy out of the older Civic with the changes to my driving habits as well.

So, more efficient engine, transmission and driver.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

(Based on a logbook of fuel fills to miles)
    analness warning! should that be anality warning???

sorry, i meant that seems very ocd
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    analness warning! should that be anality warning???

sorry, i meant that seems very ocd
    Have you forgotten that I'm an engineer?

We know that anal-retentive is spelled with a hyphen.

Just ask your wife.
    -William A. Ward

Honda Civic. Went from a 2008 fuel-injected four cylinder automatic that was a 1.8 liter displacement that managed about 28 MPG on my regular to-work drive (Based on a logbook of fuel fills to miles) to a 2016 with the 1.5 liter turbo and a CVT that I'm regularly averaging about 38-40 MPG with. The 2008 EPA specs were 26 city / 34 highway. The 2016 specs were 31 city / 42 highway. I've done a few long drives that averaged almost 50 MPG with the thing. Regularly beats the EPA sticker numbers. To be honest, I was skeptical, so I started to keep a logbook of fuel fills and mileage for the new car. The car's fuel monitoring system isn't perfect, but it's within about 1 MPG.

The thing about the new car is that the "mileage minder" which sort of changes your driving habits a bit if you pay any attention to it. So, the change in fuel economy is as much about the car and the engine as it is about the change in my driving habits. I'm far less of a lead-foot than I was with the old vehicle. I'm sure that I'd get better fuel economy out of the older Civic with the changes to my driving habits as well.

So, more efficient engine, transmission and driver.
    Oddly, your situation typically results in a lot of complaints about not achieving the fuel-economy numbers. Turbocharging a smaller displacement engine is supposed to mean you are effectively using a smaller, more fuel-efficient engine for average driving, with the turbocharged boost available when short bursts of power are needed. This scenario is particularly effective on the highway, at speeds below when the turbo kicks in. Many folks, however, end up with their foot down and the boost up most of the time, particularly in stop-and-go driving,which upends the theory. The numbers are based on the optimistic scenario. The CVT also usually is the equivalent of a low-ratio rear end, with good highway performance. Might note that Honda has had it on the market for decades, and may didn't like it all that much due to the feel.

Oddly, your situation typically results in a lot of complaints about not achieving the fuel-economy numbers. Turbocharging a smaller displacement engine is supposed to mean you are effectively using a smaller, more fuel-efficient engine for average driving, with the turbocharged boost available when short bursts of power are needed. This scenario is particularly effective on the highway, at speeds below when the turbo kicks in. Many folks, however, end up with their foot down and the boost up most of the time, particularly in stop-and-go driving,which upends the theory. The numbers are based on the optimistic scenario. The CVT also usually is the equivalent of a low-ratio rear end, with good highway performance. Might note that Honda has had it on the market for decades, and may didn't like it all that much due to the feel.
    With the fuel minder thingie, I find that I don't put my foot down as hard or as much. Like I said, it is probably as much about the change in my driving habits. There's also a display option that lets you look at the turbo boost and I find that for most of my driving it isn't kicking in at all or for very short periods of time.

When car shopping I drove the 2.0 liter version with the CVT but without the turbo and didn't like it - it didn't seem like it could get out of its own way getting on the highway - it's probably that you don't feel the shift points with that slow, sort of linear acceleration. Drove a Nissan with the CVT and felt the same way. The 1.5 liter turbo with the CVT did just fine, however. () When you need it, it's there. Otherwise, it just sorta stays in the background.
    -William A. Ward

With the fuel minder thingie, I find that I don't put my foot down as hard or as much. Like I said, it is probably as much about the change in my driving habits. There's also a display option that lets you look at the turbo boost and I find that for most of my driving it isn't kicking in at all or for very short periods of time.

When car shopping I drove the 2.0 liter version with the CVT but without the turbo and didn't like it - it didn't seem like it could get out of its own way getting on the highway - it's probably that you don't feel the shift points with that slow, sort of linear acceleration. Drove a Nissan with the CVT and felt the same way. The 1.5 liter turbo with the CVT did just fine, however. () When you need it, it's there. Otherwise, it just sorta stays in the background.
    You seem to have found a car and drivetrain particularly suited to your driving habits. Many of the newer fuel-efficiency technologies tend to be much more sensitive to driving style than previous drivetrains. Hybrids and downsized turbocharged systems are particularly sensitive to driving styles and habits. Diesels not so much.

You seem to have found a car and drivetrain particularly suited to your driving habits. Many of the newer fuel-efficiency technologies tend to be much more sensitive to driving style than previous drivetrains. Hybrids and downsized turbocharged systems are particularly sensitive to driving styles and habits. Diesels not so much.
    I think so. I'm certainly enjoying the car.
    -William A. Ward

Please, tell me where in our border is our environment (man made of course) so friggin bad? Then tell me how our president has made it worse is just 3 months.

Please, tell me where in our border is our environment (man made of course) so friggin bad? Then tell me how our president has made it worse is just 3 months.
    Really? Is that a serious question? Surely you have heard about the pending decimation of the Environmental Protection Agency and Trump's claim the climate change is a hoax stirred up by currency manipulators in China.

Quote Originally Posted by PatCassidy View Post
    Really? Is that a serious question? Surely you have heard about the pending decimation of the Environmental Protection Agency and Trump's claim the climate change is a hoax stirred up by currency manipulators in China.
    This.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

our bluefin is certainly disingenuous and unwilling to have an intellectually honest conversation surrounding politics
    just like rod, and a bunch of other right wing trolls purporting to be from austin of late - all banned by the way
    i'm done with him, waste of time. . .

our bluefin is certainly disingenuous and unwilling to have an intellectually honest conversation surrounding politics
    just like rod, and a bunch of other right wing trolls purporting to be from austin of late - all banned by the way
    i'm done with him, waste of time. . .
    ya think????
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    ya think????

Riding Pauls apron strings.........

How about the fact that on January 26th, the Trump administration froze payments from the EPA to contractors that are involved in ongoing environmental cleanup projects. This includes stuff like EPA directed payments to mitigate the Flint drinking water crisis, on down to such things as payments for cleanup of so called Superfund sites? These aren't giant political footballs of abstract ideas and consequences such as global warming, these are things that affect the quality of people's lives and health today, right the **** now. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.

How about the fact that on January 26th, the Trump administration froze payments from the EPA to contractors that are involved in ongoing environmental cleanup projects. This includes stuff like EPA directed payments to mitigate the Flint drinking water crisis, on down to such things as payments for cleanup of so called Superfund sites? These aren't giant political footballs of abstract ideas and consequences such as global warming, these are things that affect the quality of people's lives and health today, right the **** now. . .

oregon is democrat run, we had a very big scandal with lead in the water in schools, notice the national media swept it under the rug.

Then there's West Anniston, AL, where even now, the level of PCBs IN THE AIR has not abated in 30 years.

Monsanto is evil.

I wonder how much it contributed to Trump?
    Rattling the teacups.

Let's see. Where to start.

Coal country. With the ability to dump coal mining waste into surface waters, the President has made it worse. (http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...al-mining-rule)

Use your Google Fu, Bluey.

Also, there is some scuttlebutt about GE avoiding cleanup of PCB's that it spilled into ground and surface-water in the Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York area because of changes that were enacted by Trump. They were preparing court documents to try to suppress previous court orders due to the surface water environmental changes.
    -William A. Ward

I ask you to define your terms. Our environment? Man-made, of course?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

I have bluey on ignore, and from the citations of his remarks I remain serenely comfortable with that decision.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Yeah - interacting with *some* here is quite useless - either they're uneducated (on everything), too stoopid to process the information, or too nasty/trollish to be worth the time.

I don't see any upside to it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The claim that illegal immigration is down is flat out refuted by the documents on which the claim is based. Read https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration .

What's down, by quite a bit, is the number of people who apply for entry at an official border crossing point who are denied entry.

This could reflect fewer unqualified people even making the attempt or it could reflect less capable enforcement. DHS does not have any evidence as to which.

Best case: Fewer unqualified people making the attempt. This could be that fewer people want in to the US, a trend that's been economically driven for years. Or it could mean that more of the unqualified are going around the official entry points either by literally going around or by using a visa they later over-stay. Again, DHS has no evidence one way or the other.

What we have solid evidence of is that deportations of non-criminals is radically up while deportations of actual felons is down. That's federal policy and it will have terrible consequences for local law enforcement and immigrant communities. The negatives of this policy are so well understood that we must conclude that this is part of the oligarchy's program to find excuses for violent social control measures.

No answer on any area in the US that is polluted. Guess Trump was right to downsize some of EPA.
    Mr Russell - our is USA. Man made - do I really have to define that for you?

Mr McColgin - according to this it's way down: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-under-trump/
    I also like president Trump's latest statements about targeting MS13.