Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: @Bobbys, how has Trump improved your situation?

Default Re: @Bobbys, how has Trump improved your situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    With the fuel minder thingie, I find that I don't put my foot down as hard or as much. Like I said, it is probably as much about the change in my driving habits. There's also a display option that lets you look at the turbo boost and I find that for most of my driving it isn't kicking in at all or for very short periods of time.

When car shopping I drove the 2.0 liter version with the CVT but without the turbo and didn't like it - it didn't seem like it could get out of its own way getting on the highway - it's probably that you don't feel the shift points with that slow, sort of linear acceleration. Drove a Nissan with the CVT and felt the same way. The 1.5 liter turbo with the CVT did just fine, however. () When you need it, it's there. Otherwise, it just sorta stays in the background.
    You seem to have found a car and drivetrain particularly suited to your driving habits. Many of the newer fuel-efficiency technologies tend to be much more sensitive to driving style than previous drivetrains. Hybrids and downsized turbocharged systems are particularly sensitive to driving styles and habits. Diesels not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    You seem to have found a car and drivetrain particularly suited to your driving habits. Many of the newer fuel-efficiency technologies tend to be much more sensitive to driving style than previous drivetrains. Hybrids and downsized turbocharged systems are particularly sensitive to driving styles and habits. Diesels not so much.
    I think so. I'm certainly enjoying the car.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Maybe it's because they have been able to get food that they can afford. Hence, you don't see any of them starving. Sounds logical to me!
    And people wonder why WalMarts gross sales are larger than a lot
    of nations budgets...........

Let's not forget all those dollar stores popping up all over the place
    selling cheap Chinese too....think that might help lower income survive?
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    And people wonder why WalMarts gross sales are larger than a lot
    of nations budgets...........

Let's not forget all those dollar stores popping up all over the place
    selling cheap Chinese too....think that might help lower income survive?
    Sure, if you believe that the top tier should continue to gulp down more and more of the fruits of their productivity.

If the income of the working poor had kept pace with their productivity for the past 40 years, Wal-Mart wouldn't have an excuse to exist.

As it is, the income of the working poor nor of the middle class hasn't kept pace with inflation in 40 years.

It would help the lower income to survive if they got a freaking cost-of-living raise every once in a while.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Sure, if you believe that the top tier should continue to gulp down more and more of the fruits of their productivity.

If the income of the working poor had kept pace with their productivity for the past 40 years, Wal-Mart wouldn't have an excuse to exist.

As it is, the income of the working poor nor of the middle class hasn't kept pace with inflation in 40 years.

It would help the lower income to survive if they got a freaking cost-of-living raise every once in a while.
    Who's going to pay for that cost of living raise? Wal-Mart?

No, not Walmart. We already subsidize Walmart's low wages with food stamps and other forms of welfare for their underpaid employees.

The 1% need to be made to get offa their lazy backsides and actually DO something around here.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    No, not Walmart. We already subsidize Walmart's low wages with food stamps and other forms of welfare for their underpaid employees.

The 1% need to be made to get offa their lazy backsides and actually DO something around here.
    No problem, send Trump the bill........ Let me know how that works out.

I am always amazed that some Americans can believe that their economy will thrive when:
    • The workforce is expected to be as productive year on year with less and less purchasing power year on year.
    • The workforce are expected to be able to pay their mortgages and service their debts with less purchasing power year on year.
    • The workforce are unable to buy as much product to circulate money through the economy and help it thrive on less purchasing power year on year.

Cost of living rises do no more than maintain a status quo.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I am always amazed that some Americans can believe that their economy will thrive when:
    • The workforce is expected to be as productive year on year with less and less purchasing power year on year.
    • The workforce are expected to be able to pay their mortgages and service their debts with less purchasing power year on year.
    • The workforce are unable to buy as much product to circulate money through the economy and help it thrive on less purchasing power year on year.

Cost of living rises do no more than maintain a status quo.
    These expectations are a farce.

The workforce is expected to grind itself into paste, and worship at the feet of those who allow them a scrap and a crust.
    Rattling the teacups.

Free education. Most times free meals. Many free college grants available. America is the oyster. Some just have to learn how to pick the pearl.
    Now if their ability or ambition is preventing them then, well, life is gonna be hard.

It's early days yet, the deconstruction of the US State by inaction is continuing, as was promised.
    A work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    And that's why I come to this place, thx for the fun.
    Very welcome.

Now they're calling it Dylan's "Surrealist Period", hm.

Thing is, Trump isn't new, Reds aren't new. There have been in-depth treatments, such as It Can't Happen Here, and sketches, such as
    Tombstone Blues
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    The Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds. -- Ammon Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    No answer on any area in the US that is polluted. Guess Trump was right to downsize some of EPA.
    Mr Russell - our is USA. Man made - do I really have to define that for you?
    I'll bite. Hanford, WA. Check it out.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Liberty Montana. Check it out. Anytime you need more, just check in. What do you have for good news on the clean front? Make a list
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

"Texas waterways are the fourth most polluted in the nation, according to a new report from Environment Texas. Companies released some 14.6 million pounds of industrial pollutants and toxic chemicals into Texas’ waterways in 2010. Only waterways in Indiana, Virginia, and Nebraska received more industrial pollution.
    “Texas’ waterways are a polluter’s paradise right now. Polluters dump 14.6 million pounds of toxic chemicals in Texas’ lakes, rivers, and streams every year,” Luke Metzger, director of Environment Texas, said in a release. “We must turn the tide of toxic pollution by restoring Clean Water Act protections to our waterways.”
    Who is the worst offender? According to the report, Sanderson Farms Inc., a chicken company that handles everything from “production” to processing, dumped 1.5 million pounds of pollution—mostly nitrate compounds—into nearby streams.

Environment Texas drew up the report using water discharge data from the Environmental Protection Agency. Metzger pointed out that this report comes out as the Clean Water Act turns forty.
    Texas Waterways that Received the Most Industrial Pollution in 2010:

1. Houston Ship Channel
    2. Brazos River
    3. Cottonwood Branch
    4. Corpus Christi Inner Harbor
    5. Tankersley Creek
    6. Tehuscana Creek
    7. Corpus Christi Bay
    8. Cedar Creek
    9. Neches River
    10. Industrial Ship Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I'll bite. Hanford, WA. Check it out.
    I did. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26658719

Hanford, Washington, has long been the most contaminated nuclear waste site in the US. But critics say poor management has put the site in further danger.
    When Susan Leckband moved to eastern Washington state to take a job 30 years ago, radioactive contamination was not on her mind.
    "I loved my job," she says.
    But it was only a handful of years before the place she worked, Hanford, turned from a plutonium production complex to a massive environmental clean-up site.
    For Leckband, the question is not about the past, but the progress made on cleaning contaminated buildings and soil.
    "It's important to the entire Pacific North-West... the food crops, the salmon, the Indian tribes - it's a huge, huge obligation," she says.
    Situated on a plain along the Columbia River, the Hanford site is where the US produced plutonium used in the Manhattan Project, for the bomb that destroyed Nagasaki, and for a Cold War stockpile.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Your whining didn't answer the questions. Maybe bigger print will help. LMAO

How has having trump as president materially improved your life?
    The President's influence on the economy has always been a long standing debate. Especially in the short term. On great forum member once wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I'm of the opinion the economy is mostly out of the control of the president in the short term. But the performance of the economy between now and the end of Obama's term will determine whether we have a Republican or a Democrat in the White House next time around. . .

Sorry Paul! That was 2014!
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Bobby, I thought I had asked a pretty straightforward question, yes or no answer material. Seems not, just the usual rant about libs for an answer.
    Try this then, do you think things will be better for you, your kids/grandkids in four years time - because I do acknowledge that 100 days isnt terribly long. For example, better health insurance, more job opportunities, lower tax, better maintained roads etc, being safer travelling abroad? Some specific thing you will be able to attribute to the president with the slightly unorthodox way of doing things. Help me out here, I want to understand why you're cheerleading for this guy.

Mr Bluefin, anti EPA, from Austin Texas - have you seen the crazy coastal erosion going on with the Mississippi delta - almost ALL due to unchecked oil industry activity in the early days, modifying the waterways. No, it aint pollution, but it is the sort of thing the EPA has an interest in. I've flown over it, talked to people there - they are starting to sit up and take notice, because huge acreages of land are disappearing fast.
    I flew into LA back in '91 - couldn't see $hit for smog. Went through there last year, wow, what a difference! If you dont think manufacturers wont revert back to the cheapest, nastiest solution the minute the EPA is hamstrung through lack of funding, then you need a slap upside the head. The ONLY reason things 'environmental' are as good as they are now, is because of the constant pressure to make it so.
    Don't believe me? Check out the horrendous air quality in any large Chinese city, where minimal environmental controls are in place. I've been there too a few times, Jesus wept, you couldn't see the tops of the highest buildings in Shanghai for smog.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Liberty Montana. Check it out. Anytime you need more, just check in. What do you have for good news on the clean front? Make a list
    I'll start his list for him
    Fracking. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rinking-water/

Wow. Some of you make it seem as if you wake up in some smog infested cesspool. Yet Americans are living longer than ever.
    Have you considered investigating why this may be? I'll give you a start..

The increase in life expectancy can be partly attributed to improvements in public health, nutrition and medicine. Vaccinations and antibiotics greatly reduced deaths in childhood.
    But also, health and safety in manual workplaces has improved. There is more awareness of carcinogens like asbestos, tobacco smoke, UV light, radon gas etc. In recent years fewer people smoke, and heavy industry pollutant emissions have been massively reduced.

The 1955 Air Pollution Control Act was the first U.S federal legislation that pertained to air pollution; it also provided funds for federal government research of air pollution. Major amendments to the law, requiring regulatory controls for air pollution, passed in 1970, 1977 and 1990.[8]

The 1970 amendments greatly expanded the federal mandate, requiring comprehensive federal and state regulations for both stationary (industrial) pollution sources and mobile sources. It also significantly expanded federal enforcement.

The 1990 amendments addressed acid rain, ozone depletion, and toxic air pollution, established a national permits program for stationary sources, and increased enforcement authority. The amendments also established new auto gasoline reformulation requirements.

All these acts are despised by the Red brigade who always put profit before public safety, but they have a direct bearing on why people are living longer.

So how much more money do you think it will take for the EPA to have us breathing straight oxygen while enjoying pure water?
    Now you're just being silly. If you paid any attention to science you would know that pure oxygen can be deadly.
    http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/why-d...xygen-kill-you

But as for the cost of good clean air and water? You can't put a price on your health, or that of your family, so I would say "As much as it takes", while holding politicians accountable for ensuring that the money is spent wisely and efficiently.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post

But as for the cost of good clean air and water? You can't put a price on your health, or that of your family, so I would say "As much as it takes", while holding politicians accountable for ensuring that the money is spent wisely and efficiently.
    Actually, Americans probably could, by digging into statistics on insurance and co pay costs/deductibles attributable to pulmonary diseases and cancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    How about the fact that on January 26th, the Trump administration froze payments from the EPA to contractors that are involved in ongoing environmental cleanup projects. This includes stuff like EPA directed payments to mitigate the Flint drinking water crisis, on down to such things as payments for cleanup of so called Superfund sites? These aren't giant political footballs of abstract ideas and consequences such as global warming, these are things that affect the quality of people's lives and health today, right the **** now. . .
    Then there's West Anniston, AL, where even now, the level of PCBs IN THE AIR has not abated in 30 years.

Monsanto is evil.

I wonder how much it contributed to Trump?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So, your paycheque's looking more solid? Your health insurance looks stronger, rather than more fragile? Your confidence in America's domestic safety from credible espionage threats or jihadist whackos (native born or imports) is stronger? You're more confident that your kids will be living in an environment that is relatively pollution-free, and where American leadership is contributing to solutions for environmental issues affecting the region and the globe?
    I am neither Bobbys nor Bluefin2, but you seem to be asking the wrong question. You put out a list of things that you believe affect your situation and a claim that the new government affected those things adversely for you. 100 days seems to be too short of a period of time for some of them to have affected anyone.

Economically I have done well over the last 3 months. It amounts to $10K/year raise for the rest of my life. My health is still as good as it was prior to the election. I don't see any need for health insurance. The air seems just as clean. I did read that ocean pollution is moving into the arctic ocean. But that seems to have started a long time ago. Life is looking good for me.

The poor get as bad of a deal from this president as they have from previous presidents. But it is only 18 months until the next election.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "Texas waterways are the fourth most polluted in the nation, according to a new report from Environment Texas. Companies released some 14.6 million pounds of industrial pollutants and toxic chemicals into Texas’ waterways in 2010. Only waterways in Indiana, Virginia, and Nebraska received more industrial pollution.
    “Texas’ waterways are a polluter’s paradise right now. Polluters dump 14.6 million pounds of toxic chemicals in Texas’ lakes, rivers, and streams every year,” Luke Metzger, director of Environment Texas, said in a release. “We must turn the tide of toxic pollution by restoring Clean Water Act protections to our waterways.”
    Who is the worst offender? According to the report, Sanderson Farms Inc., a chicken company that handles everything from “production” to processing, dumped 1.5 million pounds of pollution—mostly nitrate compounds—into nearby streams.

Environment Texas drew up the report using water discharge data from the Environmental Protection Agency. Metzger pointed out that this report comes out as the Clean Water Act turns forty.
    Texas Waterways that Received the Most Industrial Pollution in 2010:

1. Houston Ship Channel
    2. Brazos River
    3. Cottonwood Branch
    4. Corpus Christi Inner Harbor
    5. Tankersley Creek
    6. Tehuscana Creek
    7. Corpus Christi Bay
    8. Cedar Creek
    9. Neches River
    10. Industrial Ship Channel
    Cedar Creek forms at the back end of my lot.
    Rattling the teacups.