Thread: "Mutiny" the Bountry open boat documentary

Default "Mutiny" the Bountry open boat documentary

Many of you will have watched the UK's Channel 4 five part documentary "Mutiny" - a re-enactment of the famous 4000 mile open boat voyage undertaken by Captain Bligh and 17 men after the famous Bounty mutiny. If you haven't - check it out!

The boat used was outfitted by a good friend of mine, Chris Rees, who is the world's expert on traditional lug rigs.

Fortunately I was in Millbrook, Cornwall, when he launched the boat and he asked me to join him for its first sail/row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIUpyhx8GMM

This video shows the first test sail, as you can see, some modifications were needed to the oars and tiller. We sailed with 9 on board, as they did in the documentary. However Bligh had 18 on board, with twice the stores. Not much room, and far less freeboard!

The still shots at the end show us doing the capsize and recovery, both from 90deg and also from 180deg. (That is me being goofy and also in the yellow hat) We also did a practice man over board which only "sort of" worked. So another change was to add foot ropes round the gunwale. Eventually all very successful and reassuring for Conrad Humphries, who was the real skipper on board.

More here http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mutiny and an example of Chris' other work here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepAG8ziOyk (you can also see Grayhound in the movie Mr Turner)

(As always on my short youtube clips, no audio)

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Default Re: "Mutiny" the Bountry open boat documentary

Thanks for sharing the video, Richard. May I ask what is that large hook on the stem?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Finastkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video, Richard. May I ask what is that large hook on the stem?

Kevin
    IIRC it was one of the ways of attaching the foresail tack. Fitted by the hull builder but Chris doesn't like that way of doing it, so it was left unused

And I apologise for the title spelling, as you know the body of the message can be edited but not the title

Richard Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Woods Designs View Post
    IIRC it was one of the ways of attaching the foresail tack. Fitted by the hull builder but Chris doesn't like that way of doing it, so it was left unused

And I apologise for the title spelling, as you know the body of the message can be edited but not the title

Richard Woods
    I think there is a way. Look in "thread tools" at the top of the page, move the thread to another section of the forum correcting / changing the title as you go... then shift it back.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

A few photos.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead