Thread: Oban, Scotland, June 30 to July 3

Default Oban, Scotland, June 30 to July 3

Does anyone have suggestions for us in Oban? We'll be there after a few days in Edinburgh.

Jeanne wants to take ferry/bus to Iona. And maybe take another ferry to another island. Also have some seafood.

I'd love to get my hands on a little tiller for a couple hours, just around the harbor, nothing dangerous, but dont see any such advertisements. The same goes for Edinburgh; might there be a little tiller available there for me to play with?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Oban, Scotland, June 30 to July 3

Hike at least parts of the whisky trail.

Last September we took the ferry from Oban to Mull and stayed at a B&B at the western end of Mull where the ferry terminal to Iona is. We had a rented car for the trip. We looked at boat tours but did not see any boat rentals, although we were not looking. The weather was quite bad and we were lucky to get over to Iona before the ferry service was halted due to stormy conditions. Iona was a bucket list destination for us and we were not disappointed.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Steam train, Fort William to Mallaig is good if you like that sort of thing. Great scenery and a big viaduct.

All visitor photos
    (158)

Tobermory is a nice harbour. Well it was, 40 years ago.

Mull -> Iona, then get the boat to Fingal's cave. That last ferry used to be a beautiful old clinker built open boat. Even if it's not, Fingal's cave is not to be missed. Lots of Puffins. Sometimes even when it's not rough he won't be able to land because of the Atlantic swell. It's all awe-inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Sharp View Post
    Mull -> Iona, then get the boat to Fingal's cave. That last ferry used to be a beautiful old clinker built open boat. Even if it's not, Fingal's cave is not to be missed. Lots of Puffins. Sometimes even when it's not rough he won't be able to land because of the Atlantic swell. It's all awe-inspiring.
    We had planned to do that boat trip to Fingal's cave but the weather was brutal.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

++ on the train to Maaig, pint of winkles and a pint of beer for lunch on the waterfront.

I hired a sailboat just out of Fort William and sailed up the loch. Got 'strafed' by a couple of jets along the way.

I spent two weeks in Oban a few years ago. A few things not mentioned yet are the Curachan pumped storage facility which is on A85 past Connel. They give you a tour inside the mountain. That attracted my attention since it was probably the inspiration for Raccoon pumped storage facility close to where I live.
    A bit further on A85 are the castle ruins of Kilchurn. Further afield in a different direction is Ardnamurchen lighthouse. This is about as far west as the UK extends. But that is an arduous drive on rural single track road through the countryside for most of the way. Plan on 2 hours each way. Glencoe is really pretty and is on the way to Ardnamurchan. We passed a lot of small interesting castles along the way.
    The Isle of Mull also has Duart Castle.

Tobermory is really pretty. We rode a double decker bus from Tobermory back to the ferry terminal at Craignure. This bus had an open top and of course it rained on the way back so we got a bit soaked on the bus. The locals had a bit of fun watching us.

Iona Staffa Tours offers many packaged day tours including Fingals Cave and the monastary at Iona.

In Oban we took a sea kayaking course offered through National Kayak School.com on Argyll St in Oban. In the evenings we picked a different restaurant to eat. One evening we took a 10 minute boat ride across to a restaurant at the Oban Marina. In Oban itself there is plenty to pick and choose from.

One thing to note is that the ferries are cheap except if you take a car on them so we planned our trip around that.
    Will

If you're looking for wilderness, Ardnamurchan is about as wild as it gets. 25 years ago there was a ferry from Mallaig, an old wooden fishing boat with a woodstove down below, neccessary even in summer. The stove was mounted in a brick fireplace, and was very welcome if you'd just come down from a wet night on the mountain. We pitched a tent on a dry slope and woke up in the middle of the night with a stream running through the middle. We finally were able to dry off when we got back to our Citroen 2CV in Mallaig.

That would have been really neat to ride in a ferry like that. But in 2015 my choices were to ride Cal-Mac to the Isle of Mull, drive to Tobermory then take the ferry to Kilchoan and drive from there to the lighthouse.

Nonetheless Ardnamurchan has an austere beauty to it. The B8007 is a long, tortuous single track. I found the challenge of getting out to the lighthouse quite exhilarating though.
    Will

Oban is a good centre for visiting all sorts of attractions in mid Argyll. Ten miles South are the Slate Islands, Seil, Easdale, Luing with quite a few small local museums, e.g. the Atlantic Centre on Luing. Also on Luing is an ancient abandoned church with Viking graffiti from the 13th Century. Kilmartin has a wonderful museum of heritage and culture and is surrounded by prehistoric burial mounds, standing stones etc. Scotland currently has a craze for community rowing boats, with nearly 200 skiffs on the water to date. The clubs are very welcoming to visitors and you could be rowing from Seil or Tobermory to name but two. Www.scottishcoastalrowing.org.
    There are some great wild life trips, e.g. Sealife Adventures on Seil, who will take you to see whales, eagles and the Corryvreckan whirlpool.
    There's a lot more, plenty of nice food and drink, great scenery.
    Ewan G Kennedy

Mallaig is a place I could end up at, worth it to get there by train, car, or boat. Just to the west of Loch Ness is Drumnadrochit, a village worth moving to just for the address.

Whatever you do, stop at one of those little petrol shops in the highlands, the place where the rolled peat is outside where we would have firewood. Go inside, look at the tiny deli counter and get a hot meat pie. I promise you won't regret it.

Enjoy your travels...
    M/V Carlyle III
    50' 1930 Menchions Shipyard