Thread: Not that public opinion counts any more.....

Default Not that public opinion counts any more.....

...but it does seem strange that the ideologues on the right are bound and determined. Not that I'd want to see the bulk of the American public hurt by the repeal of Obamacare and replacement with the far right wing's idea of what health care is, but unless it meets Trump's promise of 'everyone covered, and less expensive' (fat chance), they're laying a trap for themselves. Two items here:

“GOP moderates and conservatives are nearing a deal on health care that in theory could get the Republican alternative to the Affordable Care Act out of the House and over to the Senate. The changes also might move Republicans even further away from passage ― no one really knows,” the Huffington Post reports.

“The deal, brokered between House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows (R-NC) and Tuesday Group co-chairman Tom MacArthur (R-NJ), would allow states to get waivers eliminating the so-called community rating provision ― the rule that prohibits insurers from charging higher premiums to people with pre-existing conditions. In order to obtain the waiver, states would have to participate in a federal high-risk pool or establish their own, and satisfy some other conditions.”
    On the other hand:

A new Quinnipiac poll finds that just 36% of American voters say Republicans in Congress should try again to repeal and replace the 2010 Affordable Care Act, while 60% say the Republicans should “move on.”

“Voters disapprove by 65% to 29% of the way President Trump is handling health care and say by 54% to 22% that he is handling health care worse than former President Obama. Another 19% say he is handling it about the same as President Obama.”
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Not that public opinion counts any more.....

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

22% that he is handling health care worse than former President Obama. Another 19% say he is handling it about the same as President Obama.”
    It is already established that twenty percent of voters are morons that can't tell the difference between Mr. Obama and trmp. One is black and one is gold---er, orange.

Amazing you couldn't those 'morons' to vote your way. Lord knows you've given every entitlement known to man to them and yet when they look at the selection you put up there they still rejected you. Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Lord knows you've given every entitlement known to man to them and yet when they look at the selection you put up there they still rejected you.
    This is, as you really ought to know by now if you paid attention to facts, hogwash. One more time. Every other developed country has universal tax-financed health care. On average they spend about half of what we do, and cover everybody, all the time, with equal or better outcomes. Here you go - plot of spending versus life expectancy by country (source):

'Nyaah, nyahh, we won', more than once or twice, is the kind of argument one would expect from a twelve-year-old.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

[QUOTE=Keith Wilson;5216278][/COLOR] This is, as you really ought to know by now if you paid attention to facts, hogwash. One more time. Every other developed country has universal tax-financed health care. On average they spend about half of what we do, and cover everybody, all the time, with equal or better outcomes. Here you go - plot of spending versus life expectancy by country (source):

That's one reason why there's no other country like the United States.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    That's one reason why there's no other country like the United States.
    That is true. (There is also no other country like Chile, or Namibia, or Poland, but leave that aside . . .) In some things we're better, some worse. By any plausible criteria, in this we're far, far worse than the rest of the civilized world, although the ACA was a large improvement - unless you think spending twice as much for no better results, and still having millions of people not covered is a good thing.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Exemplary response to an inane post, Keith. Not a chance it had any impact but truly exemplary.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Exemplary response to an inane post, Keith. Not a chance it had any impact but truly exemplary.
    Thank you. I saw something recently that impressed me mightily. It was a quote attributed to Omar Mukhtar, who fought a long, brilliant, and ultimately futile campaign against the Italian occupation of Libya. His men had captured some Italian soldiers and were going to kill them. He stopped them; they protested, saying (correctly) that the Italians did it to them. Omar Mukhtar reportedly responded, "They are not our teachers". I have no idea whether it really happened or not, but true or invented, it's a good thing to remember.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    ...but it does seem strange that the ideologues on the right are bound and determined...
    That doesn't seem strange to me.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    That doesn't seem strange to me.
    Nope.

Now that moronic imbecility in all matters of public policy has been normalized by those ratfreakers . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    'Nyaah, nyahh, we won', more than once or twice, is the kind of argument one would expect from a twelve-year-old.
    I seem to recall that the of 'argument' being posted innumerable times by several forumites about 8 years ago and about 4 years ago. However I on't recall you pointing that out to them.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.