Thread: Could the House swing left in 2018?

Default Could the House swing left in 2018?

I'm too old and experienced to get too excited by this....

...but I do still believe in the 'pendulum' theory of politics: a swing to any extreme will eventually swing back.

A new Public Policy Polling survey finds Democrats lead the generic congressional ballot by six points, 47% to 41%.

“But what’s more notable is the enthusiasm imbalance. 63% of Democrats say they’re ‘very excited’ about voting in the 2018 election, compared to only 52% of Republicans who express that sentiment. When you look at the 2018 House picture just among the voters most excited about turning out next year, the lead for Democrats grows to 19 points at 57-38. Republican leaning voters are comparatively disengaged, with the GOP holding advantages only among voters who are ‘somewhat excited’ (48-40) and ‘not that excited’ (46-31).”
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Default Re: Could the House swing left in 2018?

I wouldn't say 'left'. It may move a bit toward the center, but while gerrymandering holds sway, it will be tough to dislodge the regressives from the House, unless our current president is even more of a failure and it rubs off on the GOP down-ticket.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

not a chance
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It could swing from hard right to moderate. Of course, to the insane Republicans, that means communist godless babykilling anti-global oligarchy.

I expect the Democrats to have a majority in the House. But I am not going to lose sleep either way. Certainly not tonight.
    Life is complex.

It's a lovely fantasy... but just a fantasy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The D's stand a slight chance of taking the Senate, virtually none of taking the House. But the several interim elections make things interesting.