Thread: Vendia Plywood

Default Vendia Plywood

With the Euro down, the price of Vendia is almost down to Okoume level and well below Sapele. Would there be any interest from any builders in the Maine area in going in on a shipment? A pallet shipment would add to the cost, but they advertise it would have enough to build 10 small boats. I estimate my next build would take 2 "small boats" worth.

There is no rush on my part, but I'd like to take advantage of the exchange rate. As they sell planks it will take some calculating to figure out what to order.

If you're not familiar with Vendia it is mentioned in this month's issue of WB and there have been previous Forum posts. It is a sustainable pine product made of sliced veneers. From what I've read it is a high quality product and I'd love to give it a try. Let me know if you might be interested in going in on a shipment.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Default Re: Vendia Plywood

Vendia Marine Planks will be in the US for the first time! I finally managed to get it shipped and it will be arriving in Portland (Maine) on 9/21. Depending on when it gets offloaded it might make it to the Maine Small Craft Celebration on 9/22-23. I will have a few brochures and small samples even it the marine planks don't make it. It will be another month or so before I'll be able to use it and give it a review. I really hoping it will be a good review!

I'm not importing for resale I ordered (hopefully) just enough for my build. I'd like to bring it to the boat show so folks can check it out.
    Last edited by SBrookman; 09-09-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Not for resale
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Any news on this?

Dreaming a schooner since 1988:

I finally got the shipment, couldn't pick it up until after the boat show. I now know how to, and how not to, arrange for shipping.

Since I'm into planking, now on the 3rd plank, it's time for a review. So far I'm very happy with it. It works, smells and bends like real wood. It's only apparent that it's engineered when planing into one of the 2 cross veneers. The face veneers are flawless, I opted for quarter sawn. There are occasional small knots in the inner veneers, not an issue.

It is classified as a marine plank, not a plywood. It comes in various widths, thicknesses, and lengths. While it is a plus not having to deal with 4x8 sheets it's a challenge trying to calculate how to get a spiled plank out of what sized piece of Vendia. I opted for the 12mm (1/2") of different widths for my build with some 15mm for the cabin. I ended up making a spreadsheet to help figure out the order and I needed to convert mm to inches, Euros to $, and KG into #'s. After a lot of head scratching, I made my best estimate based on the plans but to no surprise while I got it close, I was just 1-2" off with the 1st 2 planks, meaning I had to use longer planks than I planned. So while I did order some extra, that, plus a moronic, stupid, miscut yesterday, I don't have much room for any more mistakes. Nothing like a little pressure as I can't go to a local store, or any place this side of the Atlantic, to get more.

I'm really impressed with the bending. Holding a 1/2" think plank and looking at 2 pointy ends it seemed like that would be a challenge but it took it fine. The bend to the stern stem took some persuasion, but a cup of hot water and towel and it bent right in.

If you have any questions about Vendia or getting it shipped to the US let me know. Especially if you'd like to have some shipped to Maine as I might be wishing I had some more!
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed