Thread: Driving in New England

Default Driving in New England

"Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Default Re: Driving in New England

I think you mean driving in greater Boston or CT. Northern NE has saner drivers and much lower insurance rates

In VT if any portion of your car is in the intersection (even the tailpipe) when the light turns red you've just run a red light and it is enforced.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I think you mean driving in greater Boston or CT. Northern NE has saner drivers and much lower insurance rates
    I really don't encounter many crazy drivers here in the South Shore suburbs, thankfully.... and I'm RARELY ever in Boston, proper. Now and then, I'll drive to South Boston to visit my daughter, who owns a condo there.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Connecticut is a good example of the effect of enforcement on traffic behavior. Since 1979 up to my parents' deaths I made Thanksgiving, Christmas and Mother's Day runs to the farm in Connecticut. At first all was as I remembered growing up - like slow down to no more than five miles per hour over the posted limit. But sometime in the mid-eighties it seemed to me that things grew more relaxed and we were going faster in Connecticut than in Rhode Island - almost like driving in Massachusetts. It seems the staties were cooled out somehow.

One interesting factoid about Boston drivers: The value of auto body damage is higher than most anywhere in the US but death and injury are much lower than one would expect. Boston driving is a competitive blood sport but as blood sports go, mild. It's a huge number of low speed fender benders, especially rearenders due to our belief that if you can fit a piece of paper between the bumpers in moving traffic, you're too far back.

Our driving is personally fairly safe and keeps insurance companies and auto body shops profitable.

Bar none, the worst drivers I have ever personally experienced were in Boston. I have never driven in Mumbai, however, lol.

Having cut my teeth on the Long Island Expressway means I dread nought, though.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

One of the true joys of retiring to Vermont was leaving behind the Long Island, NY traffic. It was absolutely crazy and getting worse by the day.
    Here in my little village, we have one blinking light. You have to drive 10 miles in one direction to the next town, which has two traffic lights. It's 17 miles in the other direction to the huge city of Rutland (population 16,000) where they have a couple of dozen traffic lights! I avoid that place. Too much traffic!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Bar none, the worst drivers I have ever personally experienced were in Boston.
    I think Atlanta is the worst in the U.S. - from a traffic standpoint, from a traffic planning standpoint, and from being home to the worst drivers standpoint.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Ha- I am from SE Mass- but I know Boston to some degree. Relatively civilized, but then it is what you grew up with or got accustomed to. But then I have travelled and worked in Calcutta, Dhaka (Bangladesh) and SE Asia, all of which I still consider to be pretty civilized, too. There are rules and customs, no shootings. In Dhaka traffic crawls all the time. The main controls are brakes, throttle, steering wheel and horn. (Clutch if fitted) Most used is #4, horn. Cheers/ BW

Gerard is from a polite traffic state and consequently fails to appreciate the high degree of skill required to survive our local Darwinian experience.

Just remember that red lights and stop signs are more like editorial asides, not real commands. You may take your foot off the exhilerator (sometimes pronounced 'accelerator') and present the sole of your right shoe to the brake pedal . . . so long as there is no actual contact.

Signal lights are for misdirection.

Posted speed 'limits' represent half the desirable speed but in the spirit of being green and saving gas, few go over 85 or 90, well, anyway, within a two digit number, on the highway.

If you want to change lanes and there's less than a car length between cars where you want to go, honk and wave while squeezing in.

At a traffic light with two marked lanes, there's always room to make lanes on the right or the left depending on which way you want to turn. These improvised lanes are also good for out-accelerating anyone in a marked lane who is just going straight ahead.

The 'breakdown lane' is really the 'passing on the right' lane.

Bike paths are mostly wide enough for a compact car and the cyclists will scatter while giving you the finger.

When I was a child, Boston street names were etched in the curbs at corners. I asked Grandfather how anyone could read them from a car. He explained that if you know where you're going, you don't need to read them, and if you don't know where you're going, you don't belong driving in Boston.

Mitt Romney proved that he never really became a Massachusetts person when he got rid of the Sagamore Rotary.

And the persistent legend that Boston streets were laid out on old cow paths was, according the the Great Mayor James Michael Curley, an insult to the intelligence of even the dumbest cow.

Jeff Bridges, in the movie 'Starman', explained the alien interpretation of what the red, yellow, and green lights actually mean

--- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I think Atlanta is the worst in the U.S. - from a traffic standpoint, from a traffic planning standpoint, and from being home to the worst drivers standpoint.
    I used to call it Road Atlanta, but I got out in about 1989.

I have not done a whole lot of driving in Birmingham, but from what I understand, it may be the most lethal city for driving in the US.\ . . .

NOPE! Didn't even make the top ten, But San'tonio, Dallas-Ft Worth and Houston ALL DID!

I swear Austin is making a move to break in, too!
    Rattling the teacups.

Birmingham is ****ty because its mostly laid out along the north/south running Interstate 65, with no bypass around the city. Further complicated by the growth in traffic on I20/459 which intersect I65 in the center of the city. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

#09: Actually I currently live in a relatively polite traffic state, but I grew up on Long Island and spent ages 18-35 in New England, so I know which end is up.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I was going to say Detroit... there are only two seasons there: winter and construction.

If we expand the area in contention to, "North America," I will say Montreal. (Though, I haven't driven in Mexico City.)

Kevin

Edit: Spelling
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.