Thread: Building a LYS

Default Building a LYS

I would like to know all thoughts on using Arauco ACX plywood for the LYS. There is a Menards near me that has it and according to the specs, its a premium grade 100 % Radiata Pine exterior grade . 3/4" has 7 plys and 1/2" has 5 plys and very few voids. My budget will not allow for Marine grade lumber, also no epoxy will be used just a good oil base primer and oil base top coat inside and out. It will be glued and screwed construction. Thank you very much for your time.

Default Re: Building a LYS

The companies website says that they use PF resin for the exterior grade stuff. You could test a sample to verify.

Default Re: Building a LYS

Cajun One, I built a 16 foot LYS from all Arauco radiata pine bought at Lowe's. I did not fiberglass or epoxy it. I did prime and paint it with exterior paint. It has been on the water almost continuously for 10 years without any rot. Back in 2006 when I bought the wood sheets were $27 and $22 for the 3/4 and 1/2 inch. My opinion is that these should be practical backyard built boats that you bang around for 15 years. I don't suggest spending a lot of money on materials or a long time building it.