Thread: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

Default Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to top this.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

Uhhh Ohhh, guys... he's sold out. He's shilling for Nike now. Well... you know my attitude: I just hope he made a shilling shilling!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's dreadful, but artists need to try something different from time to time to keep from getting stale.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    It's dreadful, but artists need to try something different from time to time to keep from getting stale.
    Dreadful?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Uhhh Ohhh, guys... he's sold out. He's shilling for Nike now. Well... you know my attitude: I just hope he made a shilling shilling!!!
    Hehe. It is NOT topical.

Peace,
    Robert

I don't see any tightly curled long hair?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I don't see any tightly curled long hair?
    I stared for a moment, blankly, at this. Then the laughter came in waves.

Peace,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dreadful?

Peace,
    Robert
    Everyone's a critic. What can I say? The others were art. This one is a cartoon doodle of man with hairy nostrils and a cheesy moustache. If it's a self portrait please don't take my brutal honesty personally. Unless of course it's just too clever for me and I'm not 'getting' it. Which is entirely possible
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

No, no! This is wavy hair:

These are dreads:

All clear now?

Dreadful?

Peace,
    Robert
    I started an abstract painting yesterday. It'll probably be crap, because I haven't attempted abstract before. But if you like I'll post a pic of it when its done (a euphemism for abandoned) so you can have a go at it

Everyone's a critic. What can I say? The others were art. This one is a cartoon doodle of man with hairy nostrils and a cheesy moustache. If it's a self portrait please don't take my brutal honesty personally. Unless of course it's just too clever for me and I'm not 'getting' it. Which is entirely possible
    Ah. Then you are not familiar with the canon of my bilge doodles, because cheesy faces have been a prominent feature. The spacey weirdo things are only one type.

That said, dreadful isn't criticism, it's judgment. I'm pretty stoked on that elephant. That was about 6 1/2 seconds of uneditable ink time, with no reference. Elephant from memory.

The Doodle is what it is. It comes out, unplanned from my subconscious. The pen does 89% of the work. Not getting it and not liking it are fine. Even saying it isn't up to my usual standard is fine.

Declaring it dreadful? Well, words carry weight and have meaning, eh?

As always, I Doodle because I do, and I share because I've been asked to, and I thoroughly enjoy baring my soul daily.

Peace,
    Robert

Dreadful. You know, like the Dreadful Grapes!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    No, no! This is wavy hair:

These are dreads:

All clear now?
    I might have to scroll between those pics a bit just to firm the distinction in my brain.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

My mother has made her supplemental income as an artist for the past 7 decades or so.
    She told me that when monks began signing their work, they would add the Latin word ' fecit'.

It means 'was making this'.

'Lee G fecit'

'Lee G was making this' until he just let it go.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I might have to scroll between those pics a bit just to firm the distinction in my brain.
    Feel free!

Ah. Then you are not familiar with the canon of my bilge doodles, because cheesy faces have been a prominent feature. The spacey weirdo things are only one type.

That said, dreadful isn't criticism, it's judgment. I'm pretty stoked on that elephant. That was about 6 1/2 seconds of uneditable ink time, with no reference. Elephant from memory.

The Doodle is what it is. It comes out, unplanned from my subconscious. The pen does 89% of the work. Not getting it and not liking it are fine. Even saying it isn't up to my usual standard is fine.

Declaring it dreadful? Well, words carry weight and have meaning, eh?

As always, I Doodle because I do, and I share because I've been asked to, and I thoroughly enjoy baring my soul daily.

Peace,
    Robert
    My years in art college left me with a profound dislike for the language of art criticism, mainly due to the tedious intellectual posturing that is such a large part of it. I suppose that might account for why Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word was my favourite criticism on art, that left me howling with delight. From Our House to Bauhaus was OK, but not as cleverly acerbic. However, in regards to your doodle, I wish now I had said something like 'I can't stand looking at it for a number of reasons that may or may not have any bearing on it's artistic merit, except for the elephant, which I personally find to be deftly and sensitively drawn, as well as just plain cute in a child's bedroom sort of way.
    Last edited by JimD; 04-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.

My years in art college left me with a profound dislike for the language of art criticism, mainly due to the tedious intellectual posturing that is such a large part of it. I suppose that might account for why Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word was my favourite criticism on art, that left me howling with delight. From Our House to Bauhaus was OK, but not as cleverly acerbic. However, in regards to your doodle, I wish now I had said something like 'I can't stand looking at it for a number of reasons that may or may not have any bearing on it's artistic merit, except for the elephant, which I personally find to be deftly and sensitively drawn, as well as just plain cute in a child's bedroom sort of way.

Peace,
    Robert

The nose hair's are a nice touch.
    Of course my trimmer has an attachment for that.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.