Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Doodle of a dude. And stuff.


    I'm not sure I'll ever be able to top this.

    Peace,
    Robert

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    51,009

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Uhhh Ohhh, guys... he's sold out. He's shilling for Nike now. Well... you know my attitude: I just hope he made a shilling shilling!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    It's dreadful, but artists need to try something different from time to time to keep from getting stale.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    It's dreadful, but artists need to try something different from time to time to keep from getting stale.
    Dreadful?

    Peace,
    Robert

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Uhhh Ohhh, guys... he's sold out. He's shilling for Nike now. Well... you know my attitude: I just hope he made a shilling shilling!!!
    Hehe. It is NOT topical.

    Peace,
    Robert

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    25,964

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    It's dreadful, but artists need to try something different from time to time to keep from getting stale.
    I don't see any tightly curled long hair?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I don't see any tightly curled long hair?
    I stared for a moment, blankly, at this. Then the laughter came in waves.

    Peace,
    Bob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dreadful?

    Peace,
    Robert
    Everyone's a critic. What can I say? The others were art. This one is a cartoon doodle of man with hairy nostrils and a cheesy moustache. If it's a self portrait please don't take my brutal honesty personally. Unless of course it's just too clever for me and I'm not 'getting' it. Which is entirely possible
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    25,964

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    No, no! This is wavy hair:



    These are dreads:



    All clear now?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dreadful?

    Peace,
    Robert
    I started an abstract painting yesterday. It'll probably be crap, because I haven't attempted abstract before. But if you like I'll post a pic of it when its done (a euphemism for abandoned) so you can have a go at it
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Everyone's a critic. What can I say? The others were art. This one is a cartoon doodle of man with hairy nostrils and a cheesy moustache. If it's a self portrait please don't take my brutal honesty personally. Unless of course it's just too clever for me and I'm not 'getting' it. Which is entirely possible
    Ah. Then you are not familiar with the canon of my bilge doodles, because cheesy faces have been a prominent feature. The spacey weirdo things are only one type.

    That said, dreadful isn't criticism, it's judgment. I'm pretty stoked on that elephant. That was about 6 1/2 seconds of uneditable ink time, with no reference. Elephant from memory.

    The Doodle is what it is. It comes out, unplanned from my subconscious. The pen does 89% of the work. Not getting it and not liking it are fine. Even saying it isn't up to my usual standard is fine.

    Declaring it dreadful? Well, words carry weight and have meaning, eh?

    As always, I Doodle because I do, and I share because I've been asked to, and I thoroughly enjoy baring my soul daily.

    Peace,
    Robert

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,612

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Dreadful. You know, like the Dreadful Grapes!
    Rattling the teacups.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    35,512

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    No, no! This is wavy hair:



    These are dreads:



    All clear now?
    I might have to scroll between those pics a bit just to firm the distinction in my brain.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,612

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    My mother has made her supplemental income as an artist for the past 7 decades or so.
    She told me that when monks began signing their work, they would add the Latin word ' fecit'.

    It means 'was making this'.

    'Lee G fecit'

    'Lee G was making this' until he just let it go.
    Rattling the teacups.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    25,964

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I might have to scroll between those pics a bit just to firm the distinction in my brain.
    Feel free!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Ah. Then you are not familiar with the canon of my bilge doodles, because cheesy faces have been a prominent feature. The spacey weirdo things are only one type.

    That said, dreadful isn't criticism, it's judgment. I'm pretty stoked on that elephant. That was about 6 1/2 seconds of uneditable ink time, with no reference. Elephant from memory.

    The Doodle is what it is. It comes out, unplanned from my subconscious. The pen does 89% of the work. Not getting it and not liking it are fine. Even saying it isn't up to my usual standard is fine.

    Declaring it dreadful? Well, words carry weight and have meaning, eh?

    As always, I Doodle because I do, and I share because I've been asked to, and I thoroughly enjoy baring my soul daily.

    Peace,
    Robert
    My years in art college left me with a profound dislike for the language of art criticism, mainly due to the tedious intellectual posturing that is such a large part of it. I suppose that might account for why Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word was my favourite criticism on art, that left me howling with delight. From Our House to Bauhaus was OK, but not as cleverly acerbic. However, in regards to your doodle, I wish now I had said something like 'I can't stand looking at it for a number of reasons that may or may not have any bearing on it's artistic merit, except for the elephant, which I personally find to be deftly and sensitively drawn, as well as just plain cute in a child's bedroom sort of way.
    Last edited by JimD; 04-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    15,511

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    My years in art college left me with a profound dislike for the language of art criticism, mainly due to the tedious intellectual posturing that is such a large part of it. I suppose that might account for why Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word was my favourite criticism on art, that left me howling with delight. From Our House to Bauhaus was OK, but not as cleverly acerbic. However, in regards to your doodle, I wish now I had said something like 'I can't stand looking at it for a number of reasons that may or may not have any bearing on it's artistic merit, except for the elephant, which I personally find to be deftly and sensitively drawn, as well as just plain cute in a child's bedroom sort of way.

    Peace,
    Robert

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Port of Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    16,068

    Default Re: Doodle of a dude. And stuff.

    The nose hair's are a nice touch.
    Of course my trimmer has an attachment for that.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •