Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Hippies

Default The New Hippies

Living the ( subsidized) free life!

http://jalopnik.com/even-hippies-liv...ium=socialflow

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: The New Hippies

Migod. #Thoreauwouldvomit
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

These are "not jobs" on the order of crime. Gosh, it is so much MORE work to be a criminal.

Same same here. You are free to go here on this date, take this picture of this product (with some side boob, if you can muster) , and post at this time.

Total freedom.

Peace,
    Robert

There is a vanishing real economy, Rob, for people in that demographic. The youtuber/instagram/whatever personality gig is the downmarket version of how to turn a human being into a brand. Martha Stewart pioneered it to a market aspiring to competent old money; the Kardashians morphed it into the modern celebration of tasteless new money. These are the post-Kardashian downmarket versions; a more apparently achievable fantasy.

It reminds me of the days of record labels, when the musicians were the commodity being sold to suicidally numb consumers. Would make me want to jump off a cliff, but when the options seem to be flipping burgers or working 3 concurrent part-time jobs in retail, I can understand the appeal of showing a bit of side-boob and pretending to be on the free and open road.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hippie entrepreneurs. How ironic. Reminds me a bit of Jubal Harshaw writing bodice-rippers and such to support his lavish lifestyle. Sad. But ingenious. More sideboob, please. <G>
    Last edited by David G; 04-19-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I knew a young woman who was a decent folk and bluegrass musician - guitar, standup bass - who'd have done this. Tammi had no visible means to support herself, was good enough to be a sides-person in a 3rd tier band but not to rise above that ... and was attractive while not having model-genes.

A "free spirit," I could absolutely have seen her riding this kind of wave for a few years 'till the side-boob couldn't keep up with younger freedom kittens. Trouble is what to do when you're 45.

Reminded me of our old friend Wild Dingo caravaning around Oz... but he's not getting paid for 'sideboob'

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    There is a vanishing real economy, Rob, for people in that demographic. The youtuber/instagram/whatever personality gig is the downmarket version of how to turn a human being into a brand. Martha Stewart pioneered it to a market aspiring to competent old money; the Kardashians morphed it into the modern celebration of tasteless new money. These are the post-Kardashian downmarket versions; a more apparently achievable fantasy.

It reminds me of the days of record labels, when the musicians were the commodity being sold to suicidally numb consumers. Would make me want to jump off a cliff, but when the options seem to be flipping burgers or working 3 concurrent part-time jobs in retail, I can understand the appeal of showing a bit of side-boob and pretending to be on the free and open road.
    Oh, aye. I am just aghast you can now be "famous" for a career.

Now, I understand the lifestyle. I've never had a "regular" job. The closest I've come is working in a bike shop, but that isn't a real job. I worked in a large production shop, too, but it was anything but regular. Odd hours, odd jobs, odd people.
    I split wood and cut trails and worked horses and cattle and picked fruit and painted houses and murals...

Shoot, even now I do the oddest jobs I can find, but now I overcharge like a Jerk. Artisanal Hippy Payback, Yuppies. Yes, I'm fleecing my own generation. I learned how to be a savage in college.

I've always been a hustler and a maker and doer. I have had sponsors for more than half my life (got some, now, in fact), so I understand that game well.
    No sponsor tells me what to do. I am doing them a favor, not the other way around.

Peace,
    Robert

One of the comments at the end of the article:

"Then again my wife watches videos about two guys who keep an 650lbs pig in their house."

How is what you two are describing and different than Dylan Winter's Keep Turning Left Youtube channel, or any of a number of blogs such as John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Now, I understand the lifestyle. I've never had a "regular" job. The closest I've come is working in a bike shop, but that isn't a real job. I worked in a large production shop, too, but it was anything but regular. Odd hours, odd jobs, odd people.
    I split wood and cut trails and worked horses and cattle and picked fruit and painted houses and murals...

Shoot, even now I do the oddest jobs I can find, but now I overcharge like a Jerk. Artisanal Hippy Payback, Yuppies. Yes, I'm fleecing my own generation. I learned how to be a savage in college.

I've always been a hustler and a maker and doer. I have had sponsors for more than half my life (got some, now, in fact), so I understand that game well.
    No sponsor tells me what to do. I am doing them a favor, not the other way around.

Peace,
    Robert
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I've got no problem whatsoever with these "new hippies". They're living the lifestyle they want, using tools that are "there-for-the-using." It's the buyers of the "endorded goods", I wonder about. I don't shop for things I see being used on social media.

Hippies will be the downfall of America, they reproduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    How is what you two are describing and different than Dylan Winter's Keep Turning Left Youtube channel, or any of a number of blogs such as John Welsford
    I don't really know, because I am woefully unfamiliar with youtubers and vloggers or bloggers.
    My kids watch some youtubers, but they are always people doing something. Either toy reviews (Oldest Son has an INSANE collection of toys. Collection. It's like a museum) or people falling on their heads, usually.

By famous, I meant people who are known not for doing, but simply being. Being famous for doing 300 backflips in a row is different than being famous for taking pictures of yourself in different outfits, I think.

I'd place Dylan and John in the category of people who want to share, and even maybe profit from, content. That's a little different than showing up and offering to do whatever for money and exposure, I think.

Oh, and I ain't mad at the kids. They just need to tell the bottle sponsor they'll get their shots when and where they get them. Be the Boss neo-dropouts!

Peace,
    Robert

I'm six months away from living (at least partially) off of my dear old Uncle Sammy. I'm also losing weight, so my sideboobs seem to be rather endangered at the moment...which is good, as they are nowhere near as perky as I'd like...

Jeff C

Originally Posted by TomF

Originally Posted by amish rob

Peace,
    Robert

For me, Paul, the difference is that neither is posturing. Dylan isn't pretending to be anything. He simply is a retired guy sailing around the UK. Welsford is a designer and builder and the blog is ancillary to that very real enterprise. Heck even NASCAR racers and BASS fishermen actually do what they sell themselves as doing.

But the #vanlife people, speak with forked tongue. They say one thing and do another. That is the difference.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

makes sense kevin
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    For me, Paul, the difference is that neither is posturing. Dylan isn't pretending to be anything. He simply is a retired guy sailing around the UK. Welsford is a designer and builder and the blog is ancillary to that very real enterprise. Heck even NASCAR racers and BASS fishermen actually do what they sell themselves as doing.

But the #vanlife people, speak with forked tongue. They say one thing and do another. That is the difference.

Kevin
    How sure are you of that? How do you know that don't already eat Kettle Chips. Or weren't secretly yearning for a chance to visit the Finger Lakes? Are you privy to these folks decision-making process, so you know that will take on ANY product? Or do you know that they take on only products they support, or feel good about? I think you're making a judgement without sufficient facets to support it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Truthpaste is a real thing! Oil and clay costs 18 bucks? That's hilarious.

P.T. Barnum is LHAO

TruthPaste Original

ENLIGHTENMINT FLAVOR

The world's first oil and clay toothpaste. Powered by organic and ethically sourced essential oils.

$ 18.00 USD

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

How sure are you of that? How do you know that don't already eat Kettle Chips. Or weren't secretly yearning for a chance to visit the Finger Lakes? Are you privy to these folks decision-making process, so you know that will take on ANY product? Or do you know that they take on only products they support, or feel good about? I think you're making a judgement without sufficient facets to support it.
    Well, David, one indication is that the woman interviewed stated that she had to get approval of both the words and picture before posting them. I guess we cannot be certain, but, to me, that sure sounds like someone who works for somebody else. In fact, its directly counter to her statement that she. " isn't told what to do and aims for authenticity."

Kevin

So-called "Hippies" are as susceptible to the corrupting force of money as anyone else and even they need cash to support their lifestyles. It is commendable that these people have found a creative way to support their wandering lives. It is also unfortunate that they appear to have compromised the values that we all assume they have in order to serve as shills for the sale and consumption of material goods. But who knows what values the REALLY have? The term "hippies" employed by the OP is loaded with all sorts of meaning but for all we know, these people could be as materialistic and greedy as any stereotypical upper crust Ivy league republican. They just choose to express it differently.

In the end, how we react to this says a whole lot about ourselves and our biases and assumptions and not very much at all about the people in the social media ads.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Well, David, one indication is that the woman interviewed stated that she had to get approval of both the words and picture before posting them. I guess we cannot be certain, but, to me, that sure sounds like someone who works for somebody else. In fact, its directly counter to her statement that she. " isn't told what to do and aims for authenticity."

Kevin
    Yes... that's suggestive. But it doesn't answer the questions I posed, and isn't sufficiently probative to justify your harsh words, imho.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I think it would be a great life! Some younger people with tech skills can do high value work from the road. Even a youtube channel or other electronic media for the new markets that don't read books can be a stream of income to support it. I have revived two Ford one ton vans for my biz and running, insuring, and maintaining even one of these for a nomadic life would be some overhead. Makes one understand the bicycle or sail adventurers without the electric power for gadgets or money to be in wi fi territory.
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)

Why do people have a need to tear down people that live in unconventional ways? What difference does it make to you how this woman lives? Whether she is a hypocrite or not is about the last thing on my radar.

As my late mother would say, "it's no skin off your nose."
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Why do people have a need to tear down people that live in unconventional ways? What difference does it make to you how this woman lives? Whether she is a hypocrite or not is about the last thing on my radar.

As my late mother would say, "it's no skin off your nose."
    I'm just hurt because nobody wants to sponsor my sideboobs...

It's a cruel world we live in. I have feelings too.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    I think it would be a great life! Some younger people with tech skills can do high value work from the road. Even a youtube channel or other electronic media for the new markets that don't read books can be a stream of income to support it. I have revived two Ford one ton vans for my biz and running, insuring, and maintaining even one of these for a nomadic life would be some overhead. Makes one understand the bicycle or sail adventurers without the electric power for gadgets or money to be in wi fi territory.
    Yes. One of the reasons my boys have started an internet sales business is that they can run it from almost anywhere. They hope, in fact, to do so both from a rural setting, and - at times - from the road.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I'm just hurt because nobody wants to sponsor my sideboobs...

It's a cruel world we live in. I have feelings too.

Jeff C
    I'm sure your sideboods are Simply Maaahhhvelous, My Dear. For the right audience... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    ... It's a cruel world we live in. I have feelings too.

Jeff C
    My side-boobs have nerve endings.

Bobcat, it isn't life-altering for any of us here - just kinda depressing to see yet another commodification of hypocrisy.

My side-boobs have nerve endings.

Bobcat, it isn't life-altering for any of us here - just kinda depressing to see yet another commodification of hypocrisy.
    Ain't nothing new under the sun
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

The son and daughter-in-law of a friend have been doing this legitimately for some years now. Free spirits to be sure, but not slackers. He runs an outdoor equipment company from the road ( thank you, Internet ). She is an evocative writer. They are raising their darling little daughter to be a citizen of the world. Check it out:

http://nomadlyinlove.com/
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I have no issue with making a living via travel writing, or selling actual stuff or skills. I have more of an issue with making a living by selling an anti-corporate stick-it-to-the-man lifestyle and funding it through packaged commercial endorsements made to look like freedom.

I have no issue with making a living via travel writing, or selling actual stuff or skills. I have more of an issue with making a living by selling an anti-corporate stick-it-to-the-man lifestyle and funding it through packaged commercial endorsements made to look like freedom.
    This sort of thing has been going on for as long as there has been advertising. Marketers co-opt rebellion and alternative lifestyles and twist them to sell products made by big businesses all the time. Look at what has happened to "organic" and "green" and (my particular pet peeve) "artisinal" products. Heck, look at "craft beer", "Alternative Music" and "Harley-Davidson Motorcycles".

The problem is that people want this not to be true; that alternative people won't "sell out" and that words like "craft", "freedom", "rebel" etc. actually mean what we think they do. Sorry folks. Mass- marketing has ensured that there's nothing "authentic"(another mass-market buzzword I hate) about anyone or anything that reaches an audience of more than a handful of people.

Given all of this, is it really so wrong for people to exploit themselves and their image for monetary gain ? Individuals no longer need marketers to exploit them or people like them. They can do it themselves via the internet and social media and cut out the middle man. Isn't technology wonderful?

Now where did I put my Che Guevara T shirt?
    Last edited by BrianY; 04-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

This fellow, Brian MacAllister, who lives in our guest room with his wife and daughter and cat while working full time and building an exquisite tiny home in the yard in front of my shop, has done so well with what I'll call instructables online that Bosch Tools sends him all sorts of tools, including some very expensive ones, so that he can use them in his vids. We're always getting tools showing up via FedEx, and not just from Bosch, and never asked for, they just show up.

I don't think this is off topic.

No side boob is shown in his videos.

https://vimeo.com/94120038

Here you go: your one-stop source for all Che Guevara fashion products ! https://www.thechestore.com/

You know why they called him 'Che' when his name was actually Ernesto?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Yes, the way of the world. Another young acquaintance does action/battle videos for gamers. Even though he hasn't reached the point where he can fully support himself with this - he has garnered enough interest to sell advertising, and to get unsolicited offers for product placements.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There's a fine line between homeless and Hippy.
    Hippies usually have better weed.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.